and people hate me for these but:
The Beatles
Elvis
:ninja:

Underrated:
dunno. Maybe The Pierces :unsure:

Sure im gonna miss many names here...

Overrated:
- Any new sensation today forgot tomorrow... there's so many that its a waste of time name all of them...i mean they have one only single hit...thats all... or they are a copy of a copy of a copy... thats why they can reach some popularity... they sound like something that was before a hit.
- Lady Hawks (sorry i can't stand this fashion thing...her big hit has some essential bits of a big 80s hit Cars by Gary Numan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyx3KHOFXw)
- DJs- sorry i dont like you
- Nirvana (love Nirvana (MY FAV ALBUM "BLEACH") but im sure Kurt would agree with me... he was so sick what the media did with all his beliefs...anyway even he leaving he still being someones profit).
- Guns & Roses..."appetite for destruction" is ABSOLUTELY one of the best records ever!!!... but the band was engulfed by an ego...quite of a shame... gotta say Duff seems like a such a down to earth man... talking 'bout the first line up (reunification would be only to get cash)
the nowadays band well... its a crazy money maker sort of... scary stories from people who toured with 'em like the Eagles of death metal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7PE5wIE4GM
- the Strokes... I'm so sorry guys but i think people who like 'em... need some old records to get a big perception of the whole thing
- Wilco ...they have good songs and they are good musicians but they don't reach me...I do respect them but not for me
- Shakira... theres a smart way to make songs that sound like whatever in this marketing industry... people who make library music (got friends) do it legally everyday...in this case the target is not gonna know who are those bands so... even easier...other than that she makes a good performing and she seems quite nice person..but we were talking 'bout music right?

I could add more names here... but its such a pity thing... I even mention two of my fav bands ever which breaks my heart...I guess i tend not to pay attention to the coming and going names...

Underrated:
- Tracii Guns (early former of guns and roses later on LA Guns... now he has his parallel LA guns other than the official...but he is such a great player & he is so unknown by the mass...)
- Layne Staley (one of the best voices even submitted to a lot of toxics that voice bright like any other one...if you don't beleive me check out their unplugged he was very sick by then...but he makes you feel honestly what he sings)
- the Screaming Trees (they got songs, they got soul)
- Johnny thunders he was AMAZINGLY to ever be forgotten.
- David Ryan Adams- almost the only contemporary artist- now retired- with sooo many fantastic songs and albums...luckily he was so compulsive making songs... now we got his books
- L7 they were soo authentic
- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers or him solo ( i gotta theory you can explain any situation of life by one of his songs... i think is underrated outside the States).
- Kyuss in his era now they would pay a lot for a reunion that Josh Homme is not interested at all on doing it.

Im missing here so many important names on the history of rock that made things change for real...

Underrated:
Ladyhawke
Kate Nash
James Morrison
Robyn

Waaay overrated:
COLDPLAY! :yuk:

It's probably the most overrated musical endeavor known to man. :argg:

This thread is a bit funny though...when I think of overrated I think of music that has received a lot of critical acclaim, not what's being played a lot by 13 yos. Most of the posts in this thread seem to point out the reverse.

I mean, how can REM be underrated, I just don't understand. Everybody loves REM and the Smiths, I mean, people who've heard any music at all that is :shrug: And Marilyn Manson and GNR got flack from the mainstream press for 10+ years before they started becoming acclaimed...I dunno.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure im gonna miss many names here...

Overrated:
- Any new sensation today forgot tomorrow... there's so many that its a waste of time name all of them...i mean they have one only single hit...thats all... or they are a copy of a copy of a copy... thats why they can reach some popularity... they sound like something that was before a hit.

- the Strokes... I'm so sorry guys but i think people who like 'em... need some old records to get a big perception of the whole thing
Well, The Beatles and The Clash are my 2 other favorite bands. I think you can't compare their music to some of the old rock bands, but if you compare them with the new 'rock' bands out there, you can see (or better, hear) they're much better. Opinions are opinions though :flower:

But I agree with about the first part... If a band's music is really good, it never gets old. Black Eyed Peas, for instance, I'm sure if you listen to that song Boom Boom Pow or whatever, in a couple of years, you will feel it's so 2000 late! :rofl:

Overrated:

Lady GaGa :yuk:
The Jonas Brothers
Flo Rida :sick:
The Pussycat Dolls

Underrated:

Lykke Li
Laura Marling!
Goldfrapp
Tristan Prettyman

Overrated: Kings of Leon
Underrated: The Black Keys

Amen to BK.

Overrated:

Rihanna - her lyrics are the worst.

Underrated:

The Shins - they need to be on every mainstream radio station.

Overrated:
Miley Cyrus
Jonas Brothers
Taylor Swift
La Roux
Lady GaGa
My Chemical Romance
Most hip hop/rap artists

Underrated
Velvet Underground
Jefferson Airplane
Blur

^definitely agree about jefferson airplane.

how about the doors? i always felt jim morrison's antics overshadowed their brilliance and jim morrison's genius as a poet. but would you deem them underrated? i'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->