Painting Shoes

Harpy

Reaction score
It's summer!
which for me means: half-completed DIY projects.
Recently, I've seen a lot of silver men's leather shoes. Now, I could just go and buy a pair. BUT! I recently bought a pair of black leather (very plain) shoes. So, instead of buying them I have decided to put on my gloves and transform the boring into the glittering (and exciting). Alas, one does not know where to begin.

Has anyone had any experience painting shoes? Or should I try to dye my shoes silver? Any tips? Any good books/websites I should consult?

Or is this something I should not attempt and actually buy silver leather shoes?

Welcome to TFS,Harpy.
Silver shoes seem to run the gamut from liquid mercury (Dries) to a matte or roughened pewter which is what I expect you would attain by doing it yourself.
I would suggest using a silver paint for wood that you could start off with, giving the shoe its patina slowly and more subtly.
If this is not enough then you might think about some silver foil which comes with its own glue and varnish. A bit brash but a little aging might soften the effect.
I would stay away from spray as the effect might look cheap rather than interesting.
Good luck!

^thanks for the info Bidwell. I might just have to make my own DH gold boots from Fall 05!

00290m.jpg

Welcome to TFS,Harpy.
Silver shoes seem to run the gamut from liquid mercury (Dries) to a matte or roughened pewter which is what I expect you would attain by doing it yourself.
I would suggest using a silver paint for wood that you could start off with, giving the shoe its patina slowly and more subtly.
If this is not enough then you might think about some silver foil which comes with its own glue and varnish. A bit brash but a little aging might soften the effect.
I would stay away from spray as the effect might look cheap rather than interesting.
Good luck!
Would it really look cheap?
I was thinking a spray would prevent the appearance of brushstrokes...

Foil definitely (but expensive)
Also there is a paint product in Canada called rub-n-buff
Comes in silver, gold... but it might be flammable

^what would my shoes do anywhere near fire??? especially if it would be dress shoes lol.

(i'm still praying to the sneaker gods for golden Dunks :ninja:)

Rub-n-buff eh?
Where do you think I'd be able to get some?
Michaels? Zellers? Canadian Tire?

Also will I have to finish off with an acrylic glaze?
sorry for bombarding you with questions Gius.

Thank you though.. (to all)

Yep, I saw some at Michaels... and also Loomis --I think over there or Quebec, Loomis is called DeSerres. It's permanent, so you don't need to apply anything after. They even have a version for exterior use
http://www.bigceramicstore.com/supplies/NonFiredCoatings/RubnBuff.htm

I think I see what Bidwell means now ...
It's that it might get too shiny, so maybe that's why he thinks it will look cheap. But yeah just in case, like he says, you can 'distress' it to minimise the shine

Make sure you strip the color off the shoes first. Leather shoes have a finish that prevents the leather dye from rubbing off.

Anyone done this? Any hints, tips, things to avoid.
I am having a fancy dress pop star party for my birthday and I am David Bowie. I want boots like this:
ziggy-stardust-david-bowie-5554079-350-467.jpg

blubbalips.wordpress.com

I have found these on ebay
!Bo,8TkQ!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-DcEubC90f+FBLnVSg4kk!~~_35.JPG

ebay.co.uk

I figured I could paint the top red and leave the soles black! All the red boots I found are heels.
Will it work?

these bots are the perfect shape for your costume. Ive painted shoes before...many times actually and ive found its best when you want them to be a lighter colour than they are to paitn them white first, several coats if needed and then painting them red in your case. Just make sure to clean your boots thoroughly before painting them and let them dry in between layers fo paint:flower:

What would you use to clean them? A flannel and soap?

Thank you. I didn't win those boots but I am still hunting. I have until September.
Oh which kind of paint works best?

Ive only used paint specifically made for shoes but im not sure what brand is it...i just recognize the bottle when i see it lol quite cheap btw nothing fancy just make sure it is meant to paint shoes regardless of what color they are, as they sell some kinds to repaint them or polish them but that doesnt really have coverage because they are not meant to change the color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I will look for that. I only need them for one night and its just fancy dress so I aren't fussed about long lasting or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcos11
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->