Paloma Faith

Rosie

Reaction score
I love her look, her voice, the artwork and I just saw her new music video on tv and thought she should have a thread. I also saw her at a festival this year and she was a great performer...

Her new single, New York:

newyork.jpg

credit: www.palomafaith.com

yes i saw the video clip for stone cold sober? and wow i just couldnt believe her amazing voice!!

Wooo someone else who's heard her. I think she'll be big soon, although all of a sudden there seems to be loads of female UK singers.

Paloma was being interviewed on CH4 last night - and at first, I thought she was a comedian acting the part of a young singer, because she seemed so eccentric and strangely spoken. Of course, as soon as she started to sing, I realised she was the real thing. A strangely charming girl.

Paloma speaking on Up On The Roof, an interview from June 2009:

An interview in The Independent (independent.co.uk:(

An act of Paloma Faith

11 September 2009

Burlesque, magic and modelling – Paloma Faith has done it all. Fiona Sturges meets the multi-talented popstar

Paloma Faith has a way of making you feel under-dressed. It's a dull morning at her record company's headquarters and there she is, a 24-carat sex kitten in vertiginous heels and a vintage blue and white dress. Her hair, swept into a Forties-style roll, is a rich, burnished orange and her lips are pillar-box red. Dark blusher and glitter sweep across cheekbones that could slice a grapefruit.

Faith is the latest starlet set to hijack the charts with a retro-soul sound. She's no fly-by-night poppet, however. At just 24, the half-Spanish, Hackney-born singer has worked as a dancer, performance artist, life-drawing model, magician's assistant, barmaid and knicker saleswoman. She made her film debut in 2007's St Trinian's remake and appears in Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus. If that's not enough to keep her in heels and hair dye, she is now releasing her debut album.

Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful? is an unashamedly mainstream soul-pop record, in which propulsive beats and polished production give way to bittersweet tales of heartbreak and Faith's gutsy soul-sister vocals. "Stone Cold Sober", the lead single, not only points to her clean-living ways but underlines the passion with which Faith approaches art and life.

Faith is already famed for the loopiness of her live shows. She has created artificial snowstorms and performed blind-folded while clutching a porcelain doll in her own image. "Well, I wouldn't want anyone to be bored," she giggles in a cockney chirp that belies the sultriness of her singing voice. "All the things that I find beautiful have a darkness about them. The way I dress reflects all that. From a distance it seems quite beautiful but when you look closely you can see it's all thrown together and there are holes in my clothes."

Looking at her background, Faith's taste for the theatrical is hardly surprising. Born to a Spanish father and English mother, she was an intense child who wrote poetry and loved dressing up. She studied contemporary dance at university, and followed her degree with an MA in time-based art at Central St Martins, which included learning how to direct and design for the theatre.

Faith began singing six years ago on the cabaret circuit. She started a covers band called Paloma and the Penetrators, performed in a vaudeville act, joined a women-only burlesque agency comprising dancers, fire-eaters and sword-swallowers, and got a job as a magician's assistant. Another year was spent as a performer on Carnesky's Ghost Train, the touring company that combines magic, theatre and performance art, after Marisa Carnesky asked her to join the show.

"Marisa is the nearest thing I have to a mentor," says Faith. "She introduced me to writers like Marina Warner and all that fairytale feminism stuff. I also learned from the old saying, 'The show must go on.' It taught me what you can do with virtually no budget. It's made me confident on stage and I don't think a lot of singers now are. So many of them seem apologetic. I think, and especially as a woman, that it's your job to go out there and raise hell."

It's inevitable that Faith's Sixties-influenced sound has prompted comparisons to a certain bee-hived singer. Faith lets out a little sigh when I mention Amy Winehouse. "I think she is amazing and she's probably got some of the same influences as me. I don't see (the comparison) myself but I have a lot of respect for Amy so I take it as a compliment."

For a brief period five years ago Winehouse and Faith shared a manager. Having expressed admiration for Faith's wardrobe, Winehouse asked if she'd like to join her band. Faith had her own plans, however. "I suppose I wanted to perform in any way that I could," she says. "Whether that meant being chopped up on stage, or singing, or acting, it was all part of the same thing as far as I was concerned."

Faith's work ethic stems from artistic restlessness and the fact that when she was growing up her mother, who divorced her father when she was small, encouraged her to take up every available after-school activity so that she could go out to work. Her plan is to have the film and music elements of her career operating in parallel. "This album is an introduction to me and the various directions I could go in," she says. "I don't think I'm necessarily defining myself with it. My aim is to get the visual and sonic elements working together so closely that I'm creating a kind of opera. But first I have to prove myself as a singer, and I like to think that now I have done that."

The single "New York" is released on Mon on Epic. 'Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful?' is out on 28 September

Attachments

• Untitled-6_240833t.jpg
    Untitled-6_240833t.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 159
Last edited by a moderator:
Some pictures from her own website (palomafaith.com:(

Attachments

• Alice-Hawkins1.jpg
    Alice-Hawkins1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Alice-Hawkins2.jpg
    Alice-Hawkins2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Alice-Hawkins3.jpg
    Alice-Hawkins3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Alice-Hawkins6.jpg
    Alice-Hawkins6.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Alice-Hawkins5.jpg
    Alice-Hawkins5.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Alice-Hawkins4.jpg
    Alice-Hawkins4.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 3
Another interview, this time in The Guardian (guardian.co.uk:(

Paloma Faith: Causing a stir

She's a former magician's assistant and the voice of that drink awareness ad. And now Paloma Faith is modelling the latest cocktail attire and chatting to Eleanor Morgan.

12 September 2009

Balanced precariously on a pair of platforms, Paloma Faith declares, with mock-thespian plumminess, how ­ "awfully theatrical it all is". "It" being the singer's second magazine photo shoot. Entering the studio a hushed, polite wisp of a thing, it's not long before her hair is piled up, her eyes painted and her tiny frame wrapped in designer finery – like Batman's Poison Ivy, only less sinister. She suggests lip colours to complement the fabrics, and giggles with the styling team.

Who is Paloma Faith? "I've been a life model, a ghost in a ghost train, a cabaret artist, an Agent Provocateur sales assistant and a magician's assistant," says the 24-year-old. She's also an actor: she played Andrea the Emo in the St Trinian's film, and is in Terry Gilliam's latest, The Imaginarium Of Dr Parnassus. And her song, I Just Wait, is the soundtrack to that alcohol awareness advert. The song demonstrates Faith's Winehouse-like vocals, but it would be unfair to draw further parallels. "It's tragic that you can define a whole movement in music by gender alone. People are like, 'Oh, look, another quirky girl.'" In a climate populated by original female musicians such as La Roux and Florence + The Machine, is she weary of having to work harder to grab attention? "I'm not competitive. I tried to get signed, but everyone thought I was too risky. Now people are like, 'Oh, weird girls can sell records.' It's a blessing and a curse."

A cinephile, Faith wears her references proudly. "Cinema affects everything, from the way I get dressed to how I build my stages." And if her live shows are anything to go by – they feature everything from illusionists to fan dancing – the creation of a multisensory experience is clearly important. "I want my shows to be eerie and mysterious," she says. Her "act", as she calls it, is spellbinding

Paloma's new single, New York, is released September 14. An album, Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful, is out on September 28.

Attachments

• Paloma-Faith--001.jpg
    Paloma-Faith--001.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 3
  • faith2-002.jpg
    faith2-002.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 5
  • faith3-003.jpg
    faith3-003.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 3
  • faith4-004.jpg
    faith4-004.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2
  • faith5-005.jpg
    faith5-005.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 4
Virgin Media reports:

Paloma Faith's girl musician claim

Paloma Faith has hit out at the music industry, claiming female artists are only successful when the time is right.

"The way this industry works is that they (music bosses) don't take the plunge with someone unless they think it's going to work, and it just so happens that right now being a woman's going to work," she said at Bestival. She added: "In a way it's good and in a way it's bad that it has to have its timeframe."

The Stone Cold Sober singer also admitted she may have missed the boat by coming onto the scene at the "tail-end" of what has been a fruitful period of successful female solo artists. "I feel on the tail-end of it and I just hope it works - because they'll all be wanting boys and dirty trainers again soon," she laughed.

However the quirky songstress has high hopes for her debut album, Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful?, which is released on September 28.

"I'm really excited about it - it's obviously my debut and I'm hoping that it does well enough for me to be able to do a second album," she said. "But my intention is to transport you and do something for my listeners that takes them away from reality and gives them an escapism, a sense of hope - there's a massive amount of tragic romance in there as well."

And on Digital Spy:

Faith: 'I didn't think I was good enough'

Paloma Faith has said that she did not think she was good enough to be a professional singer when she first started performing. The former theatre studies student told Metro that she only considered becoming a singer on the advice of other people.

Faith said: "I never though I was good enough to sing professionally. It wasn't until I started in a 1950s/1950s covers band a few years ago that people started suggesting I write my own songs."

Of her upcoming debut LP, she added: "I'm really happy with my album because it's quite narrative. I find the title track quite moving to sing. My songs are more inspired by literary references than musical ones. I admire writers like Jeanette Winterson, Angela Carter and Milan Kundera - they all use a lot of metaphor."

And some random images (catwalkqueen.tv, flickr.com and clubfandango.co.uk:(

Attachments

• palomafaith.jpg
    palomafaith.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 139
  • paloma%20faith%20leopard%20print%20outfit%20bow-thumb-350x619-89871.jpg
    paloma%20faith%20leopard%20print%20outfit%20bow-thumb-350x619-89871.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 540713141_fa8ff64c0b.jpg
    540713141_fa8ff64c0b.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 537706615_63be2b3d4c.jpg
    537706615_63be2b3d4c.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 622298306_eb3d0162ec.jpg
    622298306_eb3d0162ec.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 4
Another interview (thestoolpigeon.co.uk:(

All singing, all dancing, all acting super-gal Paloma Faith not doing it by the book

Only 23, but break your high heels and snap your suspender belt if Paloma Faith hasn’t already done a lot in her short life. There are the two years she spent fronting a rock’n’roll covers band, Paloma and The Penetrators, and now she has a new band doing her own songs; TV acting work and film parts in St Trinian’s and the forthcoming Terry Gilliam flick; ‘Paloma Faith Presents...’, the club night she runs; she graduated from Leeds University with an MA in time-based art; and, of course, it doesn’t take just a couple of minutes to look as drop-dead fabulous as she does every day of the week.

A driven woman? You bet. And really, the story of Paloma Faith has only just begun. She looks like a star, performs like a star, dresses like a star, walks like a star, giggles like a star, and yet you still can’t go out and buy one of her songs. Intentional? Of course. Paloma’s vast ambition was never going be sated by an indie throwing out a 7” and seeing what happened. She held back for the big boys, and it worked: in February she signed with Epic Records, home of two Michaels, Jackson and George.

“I think quite a lot of people are scared of me and I don’t think anyone knew where to place me,” she says when asked why it took so long to secure a deal. “I do pop, but it’s kind of alternative, and it’s soul, and rock’n’roll - it’s so eclectic that it’s almost like every song sounds like a different genre. I like it like that, because I don’t feel one-dimensional myself.”

There are, though, certain artists that seep out of her music, often as a feeling: there’s the grit of Etta James, the dark heart of Dinah Washington, the earth mother soul of Erykah Badu, the rough edge of PJ Harvey... She loves those strong women, of course, and she loves the kind of man who can’t keep still. “I want to keep developing and experimenting all the time,” she says. “People who re-invent themselves and don’t stay stagnant are inspiring to me; people like Antony from Antony and The Johnsons, Andre 3000 and Tom Waits.”

We’re having breakfast on the Kingsland Road in Dalston, east London, very near where Paloma grew up. “My mum still lives in Stoke Newington,” she says. “She’s been a teacher in Hackney for 40 years and brought me up a single mum. It’s changed a lot from when I was a kid. She said this to me the other day: ‘When I moved here, I was working class. And now I’ve stayed in the same house, I’m middle class.’”

And what were you like as a teenager, Paloma? “My friends were naughty, but I’m a bit of boffin, really. I read all the time. I’m like, ‘Oh my god, I need to know everything before I die!!!’ And I get disappointed with people of my generation, because I think there’s a culture of numbness; of getting completely smashed the whole time, and not thinking about anything. And I think it’s massive in the middle classes, I’m sorry to say. They’ve never had to fight for anything in their whole lives and yet they’re so bloody complacent, it’s almost unbelievable.”

Be expecting some music soon, and look out for Paloma in that new Terry Gilliam film, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, which was also Heath Ledger’s last. What happens if it takes off and you’re suddenly offered loads of movie parts? “Well, David Bowie did music and acting, and he likes dressing up too.”

Attachments

• paloma-faith.jpg
    paloma-faith.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 139
Paloma is gorgeous shes from the same place Leona Lewis came from.

i have little hobby, that i buy music from itunes without listening first.
i just check out who has the most interesting name...best cover etc.
anyway, yesterday i bought her cd do you want truth or something beautiful
and i can tell you i love that album so much, it is interesting, she has great voice and those songs are just great.

An interview about her style (guardian.co.uk:(

How I get dressed

Paloma Faith: The singer on style icons, fancy dress - and her enviable waist-to-hip ratio

22 November 2009

All the women in my family are very glamorous, in leopard print and furs – like Elizabeth Taylors without the surgery. They were young in the 60s, so they still feel the liberation of fashion. My mum, who burned her bra, thinks it's hilarious that I wear corsets and stockings. She says I'm trussing myself up like a slave.

At eight I went to a fancy-dress party as my idol, Charlie Chaplin, but my mum didn't want to buy a bowler hat, so she drew one, 2D, on card. The shame. These days I'm always fancy dressed. I'm a master of the costume. At 10, I plastered my walls with pictures of Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn taught me to accentuate my curves – I have a difference of 11 inches between my waist and hips, which I'm proud of.

I grew up in London, and as a teenager I changed my look every four months. I was a hippy, then I started wearing Reebok Classics. Then came the hip-hop and ragga, a gold nose ring, and my hair done in little curls plastered to the side of my face. I got my souly voice when I was into UK garage, wearing Patrick Cox loafers and lots and lots of Morgan de Toi. I got heavily into Nubian culture, and wore beads and African-print headwraps. Then vintage, with Manish Arora and Zara thrown in. My wardrobe is full of costumes. I find it hard not to dress for show, but at home I'll be in 40s men's trousers and braces. The coal-miner look.

I've had hassle for the way I dress. I was quite experimental at school, and my friend and I got into trouble with the headmistress a few times. Recently a stranger sang "Follow the yellow brick road" at me in the street, which I liked, and I've had people go: "What have you come as?" Now I'm becoming a pop star, though, the way I dress appears more acceptable. I'm allowed to dress like a twat.

My style icons are the tragic heroines – Edith Piaf, Billie Holiday, Marilyn, Marlene, Mae West and Josephine Baker, plus people like Björk and Grace Jones. They're all strong but masked, in disguise. They can all switch the theatre off, which is a liberating idea. Coming home from work. Escaping. I'd never wear the clothes of my teens again, and I'd never wear Ugg boots. A friend once told me, and I agree, that comfort is for tossers.

• Paloma Faith's album Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful? is out now on Epic

Attachments

• Paloma-Faith.jpg
    Paloma-Faith.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rantanplan1980
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"