Paltrow "Slams" Pitt/Aniston

The Simple Life
Gwyneth Paltrow, the golden child of independent film, has an Oscar, a rock-star husband, a beautiful baby and homes in two countries. Who needs movies?
By BY BELINDA LUSCOMBE/LOS ANGELES
The Time Magazine

Standing outside Gwyneth?Paltrow's airy California childhood home is a lithe, shirtless rock star. Inside, Paltrow's 15-month-old daughter toddles around, all eyes and cheeks, so fresh and juicy looking that her name, Apple, immediately makes sense. Paltrow offers tea. Her mother, veteran actress Blythe Danner, frets that there are no almond cookies to eat and instead suggests a peach. Chris Martin, the aforementioned rock star, who is Paltrow's spouse and Apple's dad, wanders in and chats about how there might be "people" (that is, paparazzi) outside. Paltrow mentions there is a journalist in the house. The air snap-freezes.

That is the dilemma facing Paltrow these days. Fame has brought her many of the things she holds dear. Her famous mother and producer father guided her down career avenues that were closed to others. Her celebrity, as well as her talent, helped bring her interesting work, the cutest guys (including her husband, who fronts the band Coldplay and whom she met backstage at one of his concerts), homes in New York City and London, a Best Actress Oscar and such close friends as Madonna and Jude Law. But Paltrow, who will turn 33 this month, has now had her fill. Fame is an asset of which she wishes to divest herself. "Everything I wanted to achieve, I achieved," she says, all legs and elbows and neck and tiny little daisy head propped in a poolside chair. "I'm not one of those people who keeps raising the bar. Am I supposed to say I'm going to become the biggest movie star that ever lived? I don't want to."

Her most recent movie choices should keep her from that fate. They're all passion projects not calculated to draw a crowd: Sylvia, a biopic about Sylvia Plath; Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, an arch, retrofuturistic movie in which all the acting was done on an empty soundstage, then all the scenery added by computer; and her new film, Proof, about a woman whose life is almost the direct opposite of Paltrow's. She plays Catherine, whose years of caring for her mentally ill, math-genius father (Anthony Hopkins) have left her bitter, maybe nutso. After her father dies, she falls for a winsome former student of his (Jake Gyllenhaal) and gives him a brilliant mathematical proof that no one believes she has written.

The glum, cardigan-swaddled Catherine doesn't sound like the right kind of role for Paltrow, whose most successful movies give her the sort of sweetly wispy presence one associates with cirrus clouds. This is more the forbidding thundercloud area of Mary-Louise Parker (who originated the role on Broadway and who some thought was unfairly overlooked for the movie). Paltrow was in the later London version of the play, directed by her old Shakespeare in Love comrade John Madden, and two years after was cast in his film version.

In those two years, however, Paltrow's life changed completely. Her father Bruce, whom she idolized, died unexpectedly. Shortly afterward, she fell for a cute guy. Suddenly there were all sorts of eerie resonances with her character in Proof. And just as abruptly, Paltrow started seeing things differently. "It was kind of like my life going upside down and the dust settling and things being really clear to me," she says. "I do not want to waste time. I want to do things that are really inspiring and that I feel are going to give something to the world. But they don't have to be sad. They can be something silly and highly comedic."

"Silly and comedic" is a pretty good description of one of the new things Paltrow is trying: directing a short film. She wrote the film for a Glamour magazine project called Reel Moments with her childhood friend Mary Wigmore (with whom she used to throw toys off the balcony of her home into the neighbor's chimney). Dealbreaker details the reasons a young woman breaks up with various boyfriends. The climactic scene involves a man, a bathroom visit and unused toilet paper. Shakespeare in Love it ain't. "Basically it's filthy," says the auteur. "Poop filthy." But Paltrow says the film reflects her real character more than the soigne woman she sees in magazine profiles of herself.

That is, she likes potty humor, not that she casts off guys like toilet paper. In fact, ever since she and Brad Pitt broke off their engagement in 1997, Paltrow has trod gingerly on the subject of her men. "I learned my lesson at 24," she says. Thus, although she dated tabloid catnip like Ben Affleck, there was no "Beneth." There wasn't even a "Pittrow." "It would be a lot easier on Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston now," she says, "had they not talked to the press about each other and everything to begin with."

But for a power couple like Paltrow and Martin, keeping the press at bay isn't easy. As Miramax co-founder Harvey Weinstein puts it, nicely capturing the paradox, "They are as ordinary as you can be and be in one of the best rock bands in the world and be one of the best actresses in the world." Mr. and Mrs. Martin do not appear together at big public events. They do not like to be photographed together. "When I presented at the Oscars last year," she says, "everyone would say to me 'Where's your husband? Is there trouble in the marriage?' And I was like, Why on earth would I bring my husband?" After she got pregnant, the couple reportedly had a friend take paparazzi-style shots of them to give to magazines so that photographers wouldn't stalk them. "Our marriage is between us. If we decide to continue being together or not, it's our business," she says.

The desire for privacy, the peripatetic life of a rock-star wife, her newfound contentment and, most of all, motherhood are all conspiring to keep Paltrow out of movies, or at least the sort of glossy romances she became famous for. She has a couple of tiny roles coming up and another film, Running with Scissors, in the can, and that's it, at least for now. "I could not have fathomed working Apple's first year. I look at certain women, and I think, How do they just go and do films back to back to back?"

Paltrow knows that stepping away from the business for a moment, much as her mother did when she was born, can be fatal. "If the work peters out, it peters out. But you have to understand that I worked so much for so long. I achieved a lot early. And I wasn't very happy. At this point in my life, I have a life. I have a real life. I'm sure I could balance it out and do films. But I don't know. Every time I see a movie, I think, Would I have wanted to be in that?" Elsewhere in the house, Paltrow's husband is giving an impromptu Coldplay concert on the piano for Apple, who plinks in a few discordant additions. Paltrow giggles. Unlike Catherine, she has nothing to prove. --With reporting by Desa Philadelphia/Los Angeles

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Gwyneth and her acting is good
but damn if this women isnt insane i mean she frikkin cheated on Brad
she can't be straight in the mind
and with John Hannah! of all people from Sliding doors

Brad never once commented on her or anything about her after that horrible split. she should just shut her trap concerning him

Didn't she say to Diane Sawyer that it took her years to get over Brad Pitt? During that interview, she also talked about her relationship with Pitt.

Dylan. said:
I love Gwyneth and her acting is good but damn if this women isnt insane i mean she frikkin cheated on Brad she can't be straight in the mind and with John Hannah! of all people from Sliding doors

I'm sorry but where did you hear that. John Hannah that is so not true. I'm cracking up laughing now. And how do you know she cheated on Brad. Neither have said that she did so until the "Jude" type statement comes out then I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by roppal222
I remember when they were together she talked non-sop about him.

In her defence this is why she didn't/doens't talk about her relationships with Ben and Luke or her marriage to the press because she said too much when she was with Brad and they split up.

I still think she shouldn't have said that. Jen & Brad are not press whores.

I don't think reading the whole article did any justice for me. Well, maybe except this:

Siesta said:
Elsewhere in the house, Paltrow's husband is giving an impromptu Coldplay concert on the piano for Apple, who plinks in a few discordant additions. Paltrow giggles.

How sweet is that? :heart:

She was still judging how other 'celebrities' lived/handled their lives, but I still like her acting and the movies she's in.

She blabbed about former Fiancee/boyfriends Brad Pitt , Ben Affleck etc etc to the press and went everywhere with them . She'a a hypocrite. I don't remember Brad and Jen talking about their marriage and if they did then so? People talk about the people they love. I was trying to like her but hell , she's such b*tch and has had such an easy life with everything given to her. But she thinks she's so worldly and deep. I always laugh when she's described as a 'notoriously private' actress. She even tells the press who her bikini waxer is. Class.

Gwyneth FAMEWHORE

gosh , she's so full of herself. Pitt/Aniston is none of her business and she has no right to make such comment at the press.

Read any quote by Gwyneth and you will be shocked at her audacity. Someone is always below her, or worse than her, or doing something that she doesn't approve of. There is no press manipulation. She's always like this. That woman is full of obnoxiousness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Label Basher said:
I'm sorry but where did you hear that. John Hannah that is so not true. I'm cracking up laughing now. And how do you know she cheated on Brad. Neither have said that she did so until the "Jude" type statement comes out then I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by roppal222
I remember when they were together she talked non-sop about him.

In her defence this is why she didn't/doens't talk about her relationships with Ben and Luke or her marriage to the press because she said too much when she was with Brad and they split up.

I still think she shouldn't have said that. Jen & Brad are not press whores.

Brad said she cheated in an interview a long time ago.

kylie80 said:
Brad said she cheated in an interview a long time ago.

Have you got a link to a legitimate source?
ermm.gif

I've never heard of that and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentionned esp. by the Angelina/Brad/Jen bashers.

I don't get the sense that she "slammed" them at all in that quote:blush: I think it makes good sense to not have a realtionship be so public.

To have an opinion is one thing but to belittle others is another. It has been noticeable with Gwyneth Paltrow on this new mission of hers. Ever since re-locating to a different country, and the birth of her Apple, she has shifted in a drastic way. She has gone from Liberal minded to Conservative over night. Making notorious comments on various issues that she has put a dent on and alienated herself from America, and critics alike. Maybe she has time on her hands now because she is married to front man for Cold(crap)play and he's making more money then her, and she's bored??!! Whatever it may be, making a comment like that about her ex Brad and his marriage problems seem a bit contradicting, concidering the fact when she was with Brad, she was all about yapping, yapping, yapping. What this woman doesn't seem to understand is, there are celebrities who share their relationship in the public eye, but they do it well in a classy way and who are still married to this day. Example, Paul Newman and his wife, Tom Hanks and his wife, Danzel Washington and his wife. I thought Brad and Jennifer handled their married life pretty well in the public eye. Only reason now they are so in the media is because he is BRAD PITT the super-star and anything Brad does he would be heard and made a BIG issue about him. But Brad is a private man, I've never heard, read, or seen him ever spill his gut out on every little detail about his personal life, neither his ex-wife Jennifer. If any celeb who should keep his mouth shut is that rat Tom Cruise, I can't handle anymore of his cry for Katie. (vomit) If anyone who decides to put themselves in that environment working as an actor in Hollywood should think twice before entering, because once your in, you will be scrutinized and privately probed and can't b*tch about it, because you put yourself in that position. Not to mention, good money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikishuki
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->