Penelope & Monica Cruz for Mango

retrogurl

Reaction score
penelope_monica_cruz.jpg

---OH NO...not again...ummm...

By Barbara Barker

MADRID — Penélope Cruz and her younger, look-alike sister, Monica, will design a 25-piece collection, including accessories, for the Spanish chain Mango. They also will be the new faces of the retailer's fall-winter 2007 advertising campaign.

The ad shoot by Spanish photographer Nico Bustos is scheduled for next month in what the company described on Tuesday as an "international" location. The line to be designed by the Cruz sisters will be larger than the one Jovovich-Hawk — the label founded by model and actress Milla Jovovich and Carmen Hawk — did for spring-summer, but there were no other details.

This is the movie star's first shot at designing clothes and she joins a celebrity lineup that includes Madonna, who did a collection for Hennes & Mauritz, and Kate Moss, who did a label for Topshop.

Cruz and her sister, a dancer and TV actress on a "Fame"-like series called "Un Paso Adelante," already design a collection of jewelry and handbags for the Japanese retail chain Samantha Thavasa.

The handbag line, called Samantha Thavasa by Penélope and Monica Cruz, is also sold in the Madrid-born actress' own store, Amarcord, a 1,000-square-foot location in Madrid's tony Salamanca area.

"I select every item, color and size myself,'' Penélope Cruz has said. "It's a reflection of my taste and what I wear." There is a mix of casual fashion, a few party dresses and accessories "at decent prices," she pointed out. The store's star brands are Theory and the French brand Maje — and Cruz has said she loves both.

Her designer preferences include Dior, Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana and Ralph Lauren.

Revenues for Mango, based in Barcelona, climbed 9.8 percent last year, to 1.26 billion euros, or $1.65 billion. The company operates 995 stores in 89 countries. A total of 160 store openings are on tap by yearend.

Mango is expanding in the U.S. and plans to roll out 250 stores in the next decade.

The retailer is set to open its 79th store in France next month. The 15,070-square-foot space is on Boulevard Haussmann, between Galeries Lafayette and Le Prin­temps in Paris. France generates 8 percent of total sales.

via WWD

Oh please, let this celeb/model designing stop... I hate this branding. Actresses, act in films. Models, pose in photos and walk the catwalks. Singers, sing and write songs. Artists, continue making you art. Let fashion designers design the clothes.

i dont think that they look good for Mango!

WhiteLinen said:
Oh please, let this celeb/model designing stop... I hate this branding. Actresses, act in films. Models, pose in photos and walk the catwalks. Singers, sing and write songs. Artists, continue making you art. Let fashion designers design the clothes.

agree. moreover they just "select" the clothes they think they reflect their taste... not designing, not choosing fabrics...

anyway, I just knew about their collection to Thavasa... but Mango??... first sounds surprising but thinking twice it was sth to expect...Mango is spanish, they are spanish, now P.Cruz is a hollywood star for Spain....
i´ll definitly take a look at the collection when it´ll be lanched next fall

i did not know that penelope had her own boutique. i think she's a wise choice for mango to represent the face of the brand as she is spanish.

i wonder if this means that milla jovovich will not model for them in the fall...

it could be cute i guess...i wont write it off just yet...

I'm not surprised at all. It seems like a trend now to have whoever's famous for whatever to design clothes. I don't care much about the clothes, but I want to see the photos. I love Penelope's pictures, so charismatic

i don't care about celeb collaborations any more....it's too much!!!!

I can understand Kate Moss and Madonna but Penelope Cruz? :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
All this celebrity endorsing is so annoying. Why are they any better than an average person at designing?! They aren't. Rubbish.

I wish Mango would have looked at my designs first before they approached the Cruz sisters or Milla and friend Carmen. :(

okaaaay.... i will not shop there.... from now on, i just hate Mango.....
this is a celeb rat race....:yuk:

i love penelope as an actress but i don't really like the idea of this
i had no idea she had her own boutique either ? i should have checked it out when i was in madrid

How random. And I am so sick of the sisters becoming famous. Ashlee Simpson, Ali Lohan, Monica Cruz?! enough is enough!

Sure they don't... at least :wink:
But of course everyone can draw simple designs, then hire a patternmaker, a cutter, and a seamstress to complete the job.
If me, I'd prefer draping... the easiest way. All I need is lots of pins... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LKLA2024
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->