Pierpaolo Piccioli - Designer

PPP better be going to Gucci! He is exactly the look Gucci is desiring. What am I saying he cant do menswear and isnt known for bags.

I just think the crash after the hot pink high included his departure….

Last edited:
It's the end of an era. The last few designers that actually worked alongside Mr. Valentino himself are exiting the company - and only the atelier remains. It's quite sad to be honest.

Pierpaolo's downfall was his focus on clothing and lack of focus on leather goods and generating hits in the form of bags and shoes. The company was very much riding on the coat tails of the success that was the RockStud. Pierpaolo never really developed a signature bag or shoe in the time that he went solo, which is probably why the pressure started to get intense.

The fact that the brand is considering Maria Grazia Chiuri again says to me that they want an accessories and commercially minded designer, and not one that can make beautiful clothes alone.

In truth it would make sense for her to return considering how heavily Italian her work is over at Dior and how many links she still maintains with Rome. The only issue is her contract (if we are going by the three years renewal period, then her contact will end in 2025?)

^ He was more focused on the clothes, but I think saying he had no signature accessories is incorrect. Those hideous plateau pumps and the loco bag were/are everywhere. I don't find them attractive at all, but a lot of women bought them, and for better or for worse, it's what a lot of people associate with Valentino nowadays.

Considering the return of Chiuri to Valentino ?!? She'd be out from Dior ?!? This is the news that keeps on giving !!!
I mean, I think they didn’t fire her yet because there’s literally no one that can do Dior at the moment, but even clients are exhausted about her repetitive products. It’s all the time the same. Same prints, same shapes, same bags, same everything. She has been the luckiest designer ever if you ask me and I think no one expected such a success from her. But she is a one trick pony and that pony cannot even walk at this point.

Valentino has been having a hard time since Paolo started, clothes were more difficult to sell, even if he was the one with talent. Tbh, I never cared about this brand. It was just there. I think they must go for a super name or they will struggle. It’s such a difficult brand imo. And I’m gonna be as tiring and insufferable as the ones mentioning Sarah Burton every two minutes, but I think Olivier Theyskens could do beautiful things for the brand (even if they wouldn’t sell).

can they even still afford her? id guess it wouldnt be cheap to get her out of Dior.
Interesting question.

Now, while I don't think Valentino could offer a Dior-tier salary, they could offer something more "symbolic" to her.
I mean, I think they didn’t fire her yet because there’s literally no one that can do Dior at the moment, but even clients are exhausted about her repetitive products. It’s all the time the same. Same prints, same shapes, same bags, same everything. She has been the luckiest designer ever if you ask me and I think no one expected such a success from her. But she is a one trick pony and that pony cannot even walk at this point.
I strongly agree with this, mostly, because Delphine doesn't seem to be all that enthusiastic about MGC's Dior beyond the money it makes. It's a possibility that she's waiting to find someone who can do a more progressive version of that look before making any moves.
Valentino has been having a hard time since Paolo started, clothes were more difficult to sell, even if he was the one with talent. Tbh, I never cared about this brand. It was just there. I think they must go for a super name or they will struggle. It’s such a difficult brand imo. And I’m gonna be as tiring and insufferable as the ones mentioning Sarah Burton every two minutes, but I think Olivier Theyskens could do beautiful things for the brand (even if they wouldn’t sell).
They definitely need a super name to push this brand further. Maybe a partial rebrand too after that Pink PP mess.

Sarah Burton would make the most sense. While, she struggles with anything dark or macabre, she excels in producing effortless beauty and opulence. She's one of the best menswear designers at this point of time and her accessories for McQueen were often cult-status items.

Theyskens might be a bit more tricky, but not impossible. If he's allowed to pull out all the stops for the Couture collections, then he might be able to get the mindspace to produce more approachable offerings for ready-to-wear.

^Yeah, I think Theyskens won’t have any opportunity in fashion anymore, but I loved his work at Nina Ricci and Rochas. I didn’t get over it. His use of color was just so beautiful.

I think the most successful thing business wise for Valentino would be to hire Riccardo… Although if I see another stud at this brand I could probable die. But could work… Idk.

her accessories for McQueen were often cult-status items.
Her accessories where highly underrated. I think people were just starting to notice just before she left. Really poor marketing strategy at Mcqueen during her tenure. Now that they have mediocre clothes, I see their ads all over online.

How is MGC an improvement over PPP as far as bags and accessories go.

Dior keeps recycling Galliano era bags.

Tbh, I think Riccardo is burnt as a designer. These days, only Phoebe and Hedi have been relevant for more than a decade. Fashion consumes them and after a few years they are passé and burnt. I think new designers are very much needed. We keep recycling because fashion executives want to play it safe, but all we get is the same old… and fashion is exhausted.

At the same time, those “safe” decisions sometimes don’t work: Riccardo at Burberry, Raf at CK, Lee at Burberry… and from time to time, an unknown is a success (Michele at Gucci, Lee at Bottega, maybe Chemena at Chloé…).
There’s never a formula. It’s the good and the bad thing about fashion.

Idk if ric at burberry was safe. I mean not in a million years would i have done that. No matter how many plaid looks ric made at giv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->