Maria Grazia Chiuri exits Valentino

Benn98

Reaction score
Valentino Confirms Maria Grazia Chiuri’s Exit, Appoints Pierpaolo Piccioli Creative Director
By Luisa Zargani
July 7, 2016

MILAN — It’s official. Maria Grazia Chiuri is leaving Valentino.

Confirming a WWD report, the Rome-based group said the designer is “to pursue a new professional experience,” which sources say is to join Dior as its seventh couturier. Pierpaolo Piccioli will become sole creative director of Valentino. Together, the designers presented their swan song Valentino couture show in Paris on Wednesday evening.

“Valentino and the people with whom I work with are a great part of my life. My decision of bringing forward the creative guide of this maison is driven by the strong passion that triggers my work and by the desire of continuing to express here my stylistic vision,” said Piccioli.

Chiuri is leaving after 17 years with the brand and eight in her role as co-creative director, thanking founder Valentino Garavani and his business partner Giancarlo Giammetti, chief executive officer Stefano Sassi and the team at the house for their support. Chiuri said she had “shared with Pierpaolo a great part of [her] professional life and it has been an experience made of many successful creative achievements together.” She added she was “ready to embark on a new professional challenge.”

Chiuri and Piccioli first worked together at Fendi for 10 years. Garavani selected the designers to boost his brand’s accessories category, which they did, rejuvenating that division. They were promoted to creative directors of accessories at Valentino when Alessandra Facchinetti was assigned the same title for ready-to-wear after Garavani retired in 2007. In 2008, they succeeded Facchinetti as creative directors of the brand.

In a joint statement on Thursday, they underscored that after 25 years “of creative partnership and of professional satisfactions” they are taking the opportunity to continue their “artistic path in an individual way.”

Their fruitful collaboration and the management expertise of Sassi have propelled Valentino into one of the hottest and fastest- growing designer brands. Last year, the firm surpassed the $1 billion revenue threshold, posting a 48 percent jump in sales.

“Everything achieved in these years would have been impossible without Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli’s talent, determination and vision that together have contributed into making Valentino one of the most successful fashion companies,” said Sassi. “A new and exciting phase for the brand begins under the creative leadership of Pierpaolo Piccioli. The brand is strongly determined to continue its affirmation and development process accomplished in the past years.”

Chiuri’s exit comes ahead of Valentino SpA’s possible initial public offering, expected to take place not before 2017.

Valentino is owned by Qatar’s Mayhoola for Investments, which just bought Balmain and also controls Pal Zileri and has a stake in Anya Hindmarch.

Source: http://wwd.com/fashion-news/designer-luxury/maria-grazia-chiuri-leaving-valentino-pierpaolo-piccioli-sole-creative-director-10483128/

Well, good luck to Maria. I remain somewhat cynical about breaking up this duo, who seems to work so well for Valentino. If what we saw for the past 8 years was a collaboration, what's to be expected from Pierpaolo? More importantly, what can we expect from Maria for her rumoured Dior tenure????

So her going to Dior is really a thing ... ?
Jesus.

Their first shows going solo will prove if they can carry the helm on their own. I mean they have been working together for so many years that I really want to see their own personal inspiration.

i want to hope that she won't bring the matronly part of valentino but the super girly pretty one!

It will definitely be interesting to see the individual work of both of them. I'm still not convinced she is the one for Dior though.

Italian fashion group Valentino revenue growth slowed in 2018

2 MIN READ
APRIL 17, 2019 / 2:27 PM / UPDATED A DAY AGO

MILAN, April 17 (Reuters) - Revenues at Valentino, owned by Qatari investment vehicle Mayhoola, grew at a slower pace last year compared to 2017, the Italian fashion group’s chief executive Stefano Sassi said.

Valentino’s revenues totalled around 1.2 billion euro ($1.36 billion) last year, Sassi said on Wednesday, although he did not give a specific figure for the sales rise.

Valentino had posted 2017 revenues of 1.16 billion euros, up 7 percent at constant exchange rates on the previous year or a rise of 5 percent at current rates.

“We grew further in 2018 but not at the pace we were used to,” Sassi told an industry conference, adding that Valentino still had “significant growth ambitions”.

Sassi said he saw a positive trend in all markets in the first months of 2019, except for Macao and Hong Kong, although this was offset by higher demand from mainland China.

Asked about rumours that Mayhoola could sell Valentino, Sassi declined to comment, adding that a decision on that was up to the owner. ($1 = 0.8843 euros) (Reporting by Claudia Cristoferi, writing by Maria Pia Quaglia, editing by Alexander Smith)

Reuters UK

Normally she has a 5 years contract and if she has to leave, it would be after Couture in January 2020.
So the talks might begin later this year...

Good ole Benn98...ALWAYS keeping things interesting here. Silly sausage!

Hahahahah, now how was I to know that you lot will come running in here looking to see Maria Grazia getting pink-slipped, which in fact is telling? I'm only delivering the ebb and flow of Pierpaolo's critically panned collections. Lol.

I'm the loner who actually likes Maria Grazia's Dior. But I'm not going to lie, I misread the title of this thread and thought it said she was leaving Christian Dior and then immediately let out an audible gasp of excitement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->