La bordélique

earthbound
Reaction score
blogs.wsj.com

cardin1.jpg
cardin2.jpg

After a Decade, Pierre Cardin Returns to the Runway
By Christina Passariello

Pierre Cardin’s space-age outfits seemed futuristic in the 1960s.

But when several dozen new versions took a spin down the Paris runway Wednesday, they looked like a retrospective.

The 88-year old designer hasn’t shown a Paris runway collection in 10 years, and he made up for lost time Wednesday with a marathon 45-minute show of 300 outfits.

That’s three times as long and five times as many clothes as even the biggest fashion houses - and the way many houses used to show their collections before the fast pace of short clothing seasons and rushed buyers and editors took over.

Mr. Cardin said the collection wasn’t a retrospective, and that he’s not backward-looking. His inspiration came from lasers and satellites, to produce something contemporary and futuristic. But he believes that what looked good 40 years ago is still current today.

“What you need to do is strike hard and then be copied,” Mr. Cardin said backstage. “It’s a sign you’re a designer when you’re copied.”

Cutting-edge designers such Balenciaga’s Nicolas Ghesquiere have drawn from Cardin’s looks, but moved them forward in a way Mr. Cardin didn’t do Wednesday.

The name Pierre Cardin may ring a bell – perhaps you have some of his underwear, or an umbrella, cigarette lighter or a PC tablet. In the 1970s and 80s, Mr. Cardin began farming out his name to anyone who would pay a fee to put it on their products; the licensing wave he started tarnished the designer fashion industry for more than a decade.

Now brands such as Dior and Gucci have reeled in their license businesses, while Mr. Cardin’s name is still spread wide.

But Mr. Cardin says he still loves designing clothes the most. He threw everything into Wednesday’s collection - men’s and women’s, summer and winter, sportswear and formal wear. The show decor was underwhelming: gray plastic conference chairs were lined up in two rows of unassigned seating, and the models walked on the gray office carpet that covered the floor of the Espace Cardin rental hall.

The first looks were a throwback to Cardin’s heyday: men’s and women’s catsuits in fuschia, brown or purple with stiff hoops accentuating the hips, knees and elbows. Accessories were just as outrageous. A man wore a mini tire around his wrist. Women strutted in extra-large hats in the shape of cherries or cones.

Then he followed with less iconic a-line minidresses with a rainbow of narrow stripes around the arm holes and hem. Boxy silk-print jackets were paired with polyester trousers. “They’re very commercial,” Mr. Cardin said. “I mixed in some retail pieces because I need to sell.”

Now Mr. Cardin is thinking about the future of his company. He said he is close to selling it, but would not say who the buyer is.

“It’s almost done but not completed,” he said. He wants to ensure the future of his company. “But if I was 20 years younger, I wouldn’t do it.”

Wow, 88 years old and still designing. The man is a living legend. I'd love to see more pics from this collection.

I own a Cardin shirt that I've had since the 90s. I've worn it many times. It now has a hole on the front, but I refuse to throw it away. :lol:

Legendary or not, this looks pointless and irrelevant thusfar...

finally, he steps up to the 90s. LOL when he will come to the 2000s?

I hope nobody posts the whole collection. It's gonna be awfuly long and it's just gonna make me hate it even more xD

I love this.that golden coat with the big buttons is best, really great!

I thought it was a student collection (not necassarily bad, just...undeveloped)

How is this "contemporary and futuristic"? They remind me of Star Trek, but that was futuristic 30 bloody years ago.

finally, he steps up to the 90s. LOL when he will come to the 2000s?

Not sure it's such a bad thing... i mean some like what Jeremy scott do, thinking there is a "scott style"...well here, even if it's not high tech or whatever, there is a REAL Pierre Cardin. He's one of the last french designer working as a "real" french designer

This is not relevant at all, but it's been like this for ages now with this label, I think he does it more for his own enjoyment. BUT look at those black men's shoes - they look really cool. Where can I get a close up or more photos?

This is one collection? Hm.. lots of inspirations.
I kinda like those funny dresses with big bows! Yeah i think he should take a break now... 88 years old, he is a legend and we want to remember him as one. The collection dosent look fashion foward to me :/ Sorry Pierre!

reminds me of Jason Wu!

style

Im totally sure Mr Cardin doesn't even know who JW is.

-----

I won't comment on the collection itself, I just can praise the once influential, avantgarde and creative mind like his after all these years - relevant or not - is still alive.

Respect.

Im totally sure Mr Cardin doesn't even know who JW is.

-----

I won't comment on the collection itself, I just can praise the once influential, avantgarde and creative mind like his after all these years - relevant or not - is still alive.

Respect.

I agree :lol: Also i don't think he would get "inspired" by someone, that is beneath him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel sorry for him...poor little old man :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->