Please Help Me With My Homework/Research/Survey

Hi guys! Need your valuable opinions. I am doing my final report for my studies and would like to understand more about the fashion magazine industry. Who to better ask for valuable opinions than you guys on the Fashion Spot!

Would love to hear more about everyone's thoughts on their experience:
  1. What are some of the things that you would like to see more of in a fashion magazine?
  2. What draws you to get a print magazine?
  3. What do you wish you see less of in a magazine?
Thank you so much for the forthcoming response! Your valuable opinion is greatly appreciated.

Dear @rachspo, WELCOME to the most amazing community in the whole wide word! :flower:

1. What are some of the things that you would like to see more of in a fashion magazine?

FASHION, obviously.

Since the beginning of 2017, followed by the sudden death of (THE ONE & ONLY) Franca Sozzani, I haven't bought any printed fashion magazine whatsoever. In other words, for the past five years literally nothing drew me towards newsstands.

(Dirty) politics, (unnecessary) nudity, amateurish/bad photography & so called "diversity"! Don't get me wrong, when it comes to race, I literally can't tell the difference between a skin colours and I equally love and adore Adut Akech, Liu Wen, Lara Stone, etc. However, what I can't stand are all those "plus size" models (read: the LAZY ***es who think they can have their cake and to eat it too!), because with 47 years, there is no day in my life when I don't feel effing hungry and I don't leave all my sweat (and very often - tears!) on a treadmill...

What are some of the things that you would like to see more of in a fashion magazine?
Fashion and Original/creative editorials (something quite rare this days)

What draws you to get a print magazine?
Im a sucker for print, wheter its a book or magazine, since i was a kid and i started with fashion mags cause of the editorials.
And a good cover too (again, something rare these days).

What do you wish you see less of in a magazine?

Recicled pictures/editorials, ''wokeness'' and try-hard things to please an audience who dosen't even care for magazines.

Dear @rachspo, WELCOME to the most amazing community in the whole wide word! :flower:

(Dirty) politics, (unnecessary) nudity, amateurish/bad photography & so called "diversity"! Don't get me wrong, when it comes to race, I literally can't tell the difference between a skin colours and I equally love and adore Adut Akech, Liu Wen, Lara Stone, etc. However, what I can't stand are all those "plus size" models (read: the LAZY ***** who think they can have their cake and to eat it too!), because with 47 years, there is no day in my life when I don't feel effing hungry and I don't leave all my sweat (and very often - tears!) on a treadmill...

embarrassing!

What are some of the things that you would like to see more of in a fashion magazine?
Genuinely, I miss elitism. I miss the times when you would know every photographer in the magazine, every model in the magazine, every stylist, cause they were just that good. The times when creative professionals weren't disposable and forgettable like most of them are nowadays. So I'd like to see the return of influential creatives. And of course, I'd like to see more creativity and cheek, more glamour. I wish editors and photographers would be daring and provocative again. I miss all of that.

These days I rarely buy magazines unless it's a Steven Meisel exclusive for British Vogue.

Less studio. I do love a good studio editorial, but at this point I'm getting tired of the Zara-fication of fashion photography. It appears lazy! And of course, less political statements that aren't translated through fashion - as offensive and insensitive that may seem. Raquel Zimmerman's PETA editorial, McMenamy's oil spil, Rianne ten Haken and the swine flu etc. More in that direction. Blocks of text and landscapes won't ever do it for me.

I would like to see recognition that print still has a place. But for that to work, the people in charge of these titles need to realise/remember what a print magazine can offer and to properly capitalise on those things.

I would envisage a two-speed model - where superficial news and views could be constantly posted on the magazine's internet sites, but the print offering would retain the traditional values of the brand. A magazine doesn't have to come out every month for it to make an impression. It would be possible to have a small team working on a quarterly edition, creating a publication full of unique content that's worth seeking out and looking at, that adds lasting value to the brand in ways that the internet cannot.

In times past, I was drawn to print magazines on two counts - when it contained imagery which fed into my own sense of style and/or when it contained imagery that opened my mind to things I couldn't possibly imagine, or hadn't experienced. At the moment, I think momentum keeps me interested in print magazines - I've been buying them since 1990 or so, so why stop now? If I can subscribe to UK Vogue for £12 for 12 issues, why not?

Print magazines should not be full of material that was made with the internet in mind, because it renders them pointless. When content is created with the internet as the first - or only - real priority, the print edition turns into something to be ridiculed and reviled, because even the people in charge clearly do not care how bad the print magazine looks, and everyone sees that.

In many industries, they realise the value in preserving their heritage, and the priceless nature of the history behind their products. On the internet, you can become an overnight phenomenon, but you can also be cancelled by the week's end. Brands who are willing to ignore the decades - or in some cases, centuries - of history behind their titles, just because the internet has turned their heads, should be diversifying their sources of business advice.

embarrassing!

Along with a blunt dose of an uncomfortable truth— Zorka’s post also came across self-deprecating, with a good dose of politically-incorrect fun. We're still talking within the context of high fashion-- not everyday people, after all.

No one is calling for the extermination nor exclusion of plus-size population and models. However, borderline-obesity/obesity is beyond simply “plus-size”, with absolute nothing healthy about it. And I’ve yet to see any shoot or show where someone like Paloma or Precious looks transcendent of the high standards of that which was once the most important trait of high fashion. Then again, it's an exception of this era that anything looks and feels high fashion. So perhaps everyone should either work harder to impress— or GTFO of dodge. Bigger women can look absolutely gorgeous— like Jill. When it comes to the ideal illusion of high fashion, there’s nothing wrong nor “embarrassing” about what Zorka posted. Because not every body size and shape will look supreme in high fashion. I get that the truth hurts and offends— but apparently so does straightup common sense these days.

The dismal, dumbing down of standards to be inclusive of everybody and every body, coupled with an absolute lack of humour-- and the absence of naughty balls of steel these meek days, is another nail in the coffin of fashion rags.

^What you don't appear to understand is that the entire purpose of the plus size movement is to break that illusion of high fashion, to dismiss the notion that high fashion is exclusively tall and thin. I understand your nostalgia for the old times when that was indeed the standard, but times have changed and it's only right to move on from the old ways. However, the dumbing down of standards you mention has nothing to do with inclusivity - if it did, then the editorials with your traditional type of models would be elevated and superior to the ones featuring plus size models. Evidently, they are not so the problem clearly lies elsewhere. And yet people constantly choose to blame inclusivity and big girls for the lack of everything...

All that being said, I don't understand why so many people on this forum find plus size models so outrageous. Flick through any international issue of Bazaar, Elle or Vogue. You will hardly ever see a plus size model besides Precious, Paloma, Ashley or Jill. And even they aren't featured regularly, it's really just the occasional themed issue or an odd cover here or there. Why y'all stay pressed about it is beyond me.

^^^ LOL I understand. Please don’t patronize me. I’m just not buying this “movement” that isn’t bringing anything creatively visionary to the table— other than and only identity-politics. Other than this obsession that this generation has for being the “first” this and "first" that, there’s nothing of creative substance. Again, I’ve yet to see anything from individuals like Precious/Paloma, either in print/campaign/presentation that transcend the ordinary into the state of high fashion. Again, I’ll gladly keep an open mind and give credit where and when it’s due: Jill on the other hand, is potentially great. So please don't ignore when a "plus-size" model is praised.

^^^ LOL I understand. Please don’t patronize me. I’m just not buying this “movement” that isn’t bringing anything creatively visionary to the table— other than and only identity-politics. Other than this obsession that this generation has for being the “first” this and "first" that, there’s nothing of creative substance. Again, I’ve yet to see anything from individuals like Precious/Paloma, either in print/campaign/presentation that transcend the ordinary into the state of high fashion. Again, I’ll gladly keep an open mind and give credit where and when it’s due: Jill on the other hand, is potentially great. So please don't ignore when a "plus-size" model is praised.

Is it fair to dismiss the entire ''movement'' just because you're not a fan of the most prominent models, though? Representation is a very important thing, especially in this day and age. I think that's quite enough to bring to the table, considering that (as I previously mentioned) regular thin models don't bring much creativity to the table either. I would even go as far as to say that most of the girls today are sabotaged by the incompetence of stylists, editors and photographers, as well as beauty teams, the people who are supposed to be in charge of the creative vision we are all longing for. Hell, we see legends of the modeling industry struggling to make an editorial work nowadays. But with plus size models there is a silver lining in that aspect of representation and making people feel seen and appreciated and I personally think that's great.

Along with a blunt dose of an uncomfortable truth— Zorka’s post also came across self-deprecating, with a good dose of politically-incorrect fun. We're still talking within the context of high fashion-- not everyday people, after all.

No one is calling for the extermination nor exclusion of plus-size population and models. However, borderline-obesity/obesity is beyond simply “plus-size”, with absolute nothing healthy about it. And I’ve yet to see any shoot or show where someone like Paloma or Precious looks transcendent of the high standards of that which was once the most important trait of high fashion. Then again, it's an exception of this era that anything looks and feels high fashion. So perhaps everyone should either work harder to impress— or GTFO of dodge. Bigger women can look absolutely gorgeous— like Jill. When it comes to the ideal illusion of high fashion, there’s nothing wrong nor “embarrassing” about what Zorka posted. Because not every body size and shape will look supreme in high fashion. I get that the truth hurts and offends— but apparently so does straightup common sense these days.

The dismal, dumbing down of standards to be inclusive of everybody and every body, coupled with an absolute lack of humour-- and the absence of naughty balls of steel these meek days, is another nail in the coffin of fashion rags.

I disagree. I think people are very much calling for the exclusion of plus size models. Actual plus size models, that is. The needle gets pushed and naysayers eventually renege a bit on their opposition to certain models like Tess McMillan or Jill Kortleve that, by comparison to new standards, they deem more acceptable or at least not offensive enough to warrant repeated complaints in multiple threads. But yeah, that's not going to fool me into thinking they're open minded about it. There was a time not so long ago where some thought of Lara Stone as plus-sized and certainly anyone bigger than her was unwelcome. I get that fashion magazines and campaigns are, for many, a fantasy ideal and plus sized models don't match their ideal. But modeling at it's core is basically selling clothes and since there is an ever-growing market of women who don't wear a size 00, 0, or 2, it makes sense that magazines don't merely cater to people who are those sizes or who would like to fantasize that they are. And still, open any magazine, visit any high-end brand's website and marketing materials and what's the ratio of traditionally very slim models vs. models who are considered plus-sized? 10:1? Something like that, surely. The prevalence is grossly overstated by those uncomfortable seeing them. You can name dozens of top models who regularly appear in campaigns, magazines, and on runways and yet there's only a few plus sized models. That's still too offensive for some. Enough so that in this age of extremely subpar content pretty much across the board, THAT is the issue most bothersome.

People have their own standards, their own preferences and nothing can change that. If you work hard for years to fit into a beauty standard only to see those standards broaden, I get how that's frustrating. But I don't think that's any reason to actively be rude and insulting towards plus-sized models (and, by extension, anyone reading the forum that isn't a sample size themselves). So yes, Zorka is every bit as entitled to her opinion as I am to mine. Sounds like she's dedicated to fitness at the cost of personal indulgence - I admire that! Perhaps it's rude of me to comment what I did to her post. But, in my opinion, calling larger people "lazy b*tches" and proclaiming she "literally can't tell the difference between skin colors" between, say Adut and Liu, IS embarrassing to put out there.

But with plus size models there is a silver lining in that aspect of representation and making people feel seen and appreciated and I personally think that's great.
Honest question: how do you reconcile this charitable approach to fashion with your longing for elitism? elitism may look glossy on the surface and in hindsight but it’s actually a dynamic known for its cruelty and unfairness towards anyone with talent and no connections (and don’t get me started on shape and weight). We get too wrapped up by nostalgia that we forget how to rationalize not-so complex concepts like “elitism”, what sustains them (unfair dismissal of others based on things that are, in traditional cases, related to origin or out of their control such as lineage) and what they imply. Elitism is the antonym of inclusivity. You can’t have both. I know the idea sounds lovely and that fashion is fraudulent enough to think they can get away with selling highly elitist products through a spokesperson that gives the illusion of fomenting inclusivity but it really takes some reading on what these two concepts historically represent.

Honest question: how do you reconcile this charitable approach to fashion with your longing for elitism? elitism may look glossy on the surface and in hindsight but it’s actually a dynamic known for its cruelty and unfairness towards anyone with talent and no connections (and don’t get me started on shape and weight). We get too wrapped up by nostalgia that we forget how to rationalize not-so complex concepts like “elitism”, what sustains them (unfair dismissal of others based on things that are, in traditional cases, related to origin or out of their control such as lineage) and what they imply. Elitism is the antonym of inclusivity. You can’t have both. I know the idea sounds lovely and that fashion is fraudulent enough to think they can get away with selling highly elitist products through a spokesperson that gives the illusion of fomenting inclusivity but it really takes some reading on what these two concepts historically represent.

Oh, I know that. But elitism in the sense we are talking about here is mostly gone from fashion and there's no point in pining over it. I was probably wrong for expressing my feelings towards it because I do understand that deep down elitism is not a good thing - but one can't deny that fashion was in its prime back when there was a sort of clear hierarchy in the industry. I guess what I really miss is the quality of content created by the names that resided on top. However, most of them are now either dead or dishonored. It's not easy accepting that the fashion I fell in love with doesn't exist anymore, so I'm trying to find ways to cope and embrace the new reality. The silver linings, as I put it!

In the debate over inclusivity and elitism, I am proudly an elitist.

At the end of the day, it's one or the other, as Mullet stated. These two concepts are mutually exclusive. And historically, you get way better results from an elitist system. An elitist system demands the best. So you get the best.

The fruits of the tree of inclusivity are quite evidently bearing rather pitiful fruit.

Hi guys! Need your valuable opinions. I am doing my final report for my studies and would like to understand more about the fashion magazine industry. Who to better ask for valuable opinions than you guys on the Fashion Spot!

Would love to hear more about everyone's thoughts on their experience:
Thank you so much for the forthcoming response! Your valuable opinion is greatly appreciated.
Hi, I am kinda new here but here are my two cents:

Joy, no more constraints from brands to only wear total looks. Less street editorials, just for the sake of street editorials. Exciting makeup, new locations, brighter colors, no more sepia. More models, more local talents and longer editorials and photo essays. I think there can be new situations, new stories to tell, like a movie in pictures.

What draws me to get a print magazine?
The quality of photography and the editorial design. Just as any good modeum depends on great museography, the playful and imaginative arrangements of images, fonts and blank space enrich the experience a lot more. Honestly I force myself to read some of the articles though many times i don't find them interesting or they're just ads.

What do you wish to see less of in a magazine?
Studio editorials that don't propose anything other than being studio, editorials taken on the street just because, less dull or earthy tones.

Honestly i kinda dream of a pictures only magazine and minimal text

Good fashion stories, thoughtfully done. Studio editorials shot by photographers who understand motion, technique, etc.

I was first drawn to fashion photography via the internet, I guess I just eventually wanted to "own" what I was seeing and started purchasing magazines. Appreciating the layout of the magazine itself and where the editorial belongs in the magazine as a whole, not just as a scanned 8 page spread. For magazines with good art direction, that makes a difference. The 100th issue of Vogue Paris November 2021 must have been the first fashion magazine I bought in 3 or 4 years, though.

Overall, a well done print magazine is an experience.

Less photoshop more technique from photographers, more vision, a better appreciation of the purpose of a fashion magazine and respect for the past and archives, less of a reliance on cheap concepts, less pastiche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rearjepaj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->