Pop #49 F/W 2018.19

imo all these covers are just a waste! very few are worthy, why not have just 2 or 3? are there stadistics about how well several multiple sell?

imo all these covers are just a waste! very few are worthy, why not have just 2 or 3? are there stadistics about how well several multiple sell?

It's extremely popular with the indies and my guess is they're trying to appeal to everyone at the same time. Like democracy. I doubt they're trying to nurture a 'collect all 4' kind of mentality with their readers. I'm personally over the multi concept because it shows uncertainty and lack of creative confidence more than anything. Why not just decide on one shot, and go with it?

It's extremely popular with the indies and my guess is they're trying to appeal to everyone at the same time. Like democracy. I doubt they're trying to nurture a 'collect all 4' kind of mentality with their readers. I'm personally over the multi concept because it shows uncertainty and lack of creative confidence more than anything. Why not just decide on one shot, and go with it?

I'd find it frustrating to travel to all the Indigo bookshops to find specific covers here in Toronto if it wasn't for the fact that: A) POP is very well stocked, and :cool: I'd happily buy at least half of these covers (my favourite actually keeps changing.....)

I actually like Charlotte's Bella the least of all I think. But POP can put out half a dozen covers that are better than anyone else's best effort of the season. It's true!

I want the Juergen Binx. I want the Stevie Dance Bella thumb suck. I really want the Cara Beauty by Oliver Hadlee-Pearch...... And the Kris is elegant, as mentioned a couple of times already above.....

Review (650+ Pages)

Cheers, Tears and Sausages (26p)
Photographer: Juergen Teller
Styling: Vanessa Reid
Hair: Jawara
Model: Binx Walton

A-B (Anthony to Binx) (18p)
Photographer: Charlotte Wales
Make Up: Jen Myles

A Fendi Moment (20p)
Photographer: Mark Peckmezian
Styling: Emilie Kareh
Make Up: Adrien Pinault
Model: Malika El Maslouhi, Oudey Egone, Mame Camera

Valentino: The Year of Magical Thinking (16p)
Photographer: Suffo Moncloa
Styling: Talluah Harlech
Hair: Christian Eberhard
Make Up: Sergio Corvacho
Model: Hannah Motler

Pop Jewellery Giedre / Chanel (10p)
Photographer: Jeremy Everett
Styling: Stephanie Waknine
Make Up: Megumi Zlatoff
Model: Giedre Dukauskaite

Charlotte Knowles: The London Hear (10p)
Photographer: Mark Kean
Styling: Eliza Conlon
Hair: Louis Ghewy
Make Up: Gemma Smith Edhouse
Model: Marjan Jonkman

Pop Jewellery: Frenchman's Cove, Jamaica (10p)
Photographer: Sean and Seng
Styling: Stephanie Wakine
Hair: Ashley Rosales
Model: Christine Willis, Tasheika Ogeare, Haytal Blackwod

Be Here Now: Grace & Surrender (10p)
Photographer: Harley Weir
Styling: Tom Guinness
Hair: Mat Mulhall
Make Up: Laruen Parsons

- Outtakes of Wales Bonner S/S 2019 Lookbook

Pop Jewellery Gierdre / Repossi (6p)
Model: Giedre Dukauskaite

The Glass Menagerie: Paco Rabannes's Play for Today (8p)
Photographer: Danielle Neu
Styling: Stevie Dance
Hair: Dylan CChavles
Make Up: Ingeborg
Model: Eniola Abioro, Diana Gordon

The New Camp: Introducing Coco Neige (12p)
Photographer: Maurits Sillem
Styling: Danielle van Camp
Hair: Alexander Soltermann
Make Up: Lucy Burt
Model: Anna De Rijk

L'eterno: The Bulgari Revolution x Dior's Sorbonne Riff (12p)
Photographer: Suffo Moncloa
Hair: Chi Wong
Make Up: Sergio Corvacho

Brand New Friend: It's in the Bag (16p)
Photographer: Alice Neale
Styling: Stephanie Wakine
Make Up: Vassilis Theotokis
Model: Ling Ling Chen

Ami: Can you fille it? (6p)
Photographer: Allyssa Heuze
Styling: Danielle van Camp
Hair: Joseph Pujalte
Make Up: Sakoto Watanabe
Model: Louise Niels, Esther Deboaisne, melodie Adda, Florencia Brzovic, Yvanna Bolinois

Summer Night City (12p)
Photographer: Bruno Osif
Styling: Stefanie Wakinine

Serenity: Good Life / Perfect Circle (29p)
Photographer: Lena C. Emery
Styling: Talluah Harllech
Hair: Kei Terada
Make Up: Janeen Witherspoon
Model: Amanda Murphy, Imari Karanja, Florence Clapcott

Bella Baby (22p)
Photographer & Styling: Stevie Dance
Make Up: Fara Homidi
Model: Bella Hadid

Goldfish Bella (18p)
Photogrpaher: Charlotte Wales
Styling: Charlotte Collet
Hair: Shingo Shibata
Make Up: Jen Myles

Binx (14p)
Photographer: Talia Chetrit
Hair: Jimmy Paul
Make Up: Fara Himodi

Iekeliene + Friends (42p)
Photographer: Viviane Sassen
Hair & Make Up: Irene Ruban
Model: Iekeliene Stange, Marte Boneschansker, Iris van Berne, Clementine Balcean

Karmen (26p)
Photographer: Arnaud Lajeunie
Styling:Charlotte Collet
Hair: Ramona Eschbach
Make Up: Siobhan Furlong
Model: Karmen Pedaru

Grace Elizabeth (24p)
Photographer: Sean and Seng
Styling: Tom Guinness
Hair: Mari Ohashi
Make Up: Gemma Smith
Model: Grace Elizabeth

Cara + Luna (14p)
Photographer: Oliver Hadlee Pearch
Hair: Stephane Lancien
Make Up: Peter Phillips
Model: Cara Talyor, Luna Bijl

Gemma (14p)
Photographer & Styling: Stevie Dance
Hair: Tamara McNaughton
Make Up: Fara Homidi
Model: Gemma Ward

Kris (28p)
Photographer: Mark Peckmezian
Hair: Christian Eberhard
Make Up: Lucy Bridge
Model: Kris Grikaite

Haute Fourrure Daniele / 7e (16p)
Model: Daniela Kocianova

Astrid Berges Frissbey : Catalan Actor / Chanel Couture (10p)
Photographer: Tom Ordoyno
Styling: Malina Joseph Gilchrist
Hair: Teiji Utsumi
Make Up: Mathias van Hooff
Model: Astrid Berges Frisbey

+ Personal Projects of Juergen Teller and Wolfgang Tilmmans

Review (650+ Pages)

Iekeliene + Friends (42p)
Photographer: Viviane Sassen
Hair & Make Up: Irene Ruban
Model: Iekeliene Stange, Marte Boneschansker, Iris van Berne, Clementine Balcean

This got me very excited!!!! :woot:

Major thanks for the extensive review Plax! :flower:

I enjoy most of Bella's work but Apple's post really ruined the editorial for me lol. Everything's so bland and generic these days, from "legit" models to "legit" design and photography, that a presence like Bella feels much needed and is currently doing what models did in the early 90s: add a bit of celebrity to a modeling industry that has proved incapable, for the past 15 years, to produce just ONE star that comprehends all sides of show business while staying loyal to modeling and nurture the celebrity world with modelesque looks in return... upgrading tabloids from unfortunate-looking people with out of shape bodies and grotesque tans (the Lindays, Geldof sisters and other "it" "fashionable" girls of the previous generation).

The editorial could've easily conveyed all of that and I see it is doing just that for teens that haven't done their modeling history homework but seeing Gisele's is a harsh reminder of how low our expectations have fallen and how long it's been since somebody looked extraordinary. I don't care for the recent discrediting of Gisele's career around tFS, if you lived in her heyday, you know her relevance and she was a combination that did seem like a genetic jackpot, everything about her from lines to looks to extent of appeal (from japanese designer shows to trashy horny dude magazine to luxury brand unattainability) she could do it all back and forth and at the same time, look nothing like the rest or even "beautiful", she was not conventional, just captivating and commanded respect. So the idea of putting her behind a vitrine made sense and was fun and fascinating.

When you look at that, and then look at Bella, it just looks like a pedestrian hot girl waiting for her friend to take a risky picture for her instagram and about to hit her head in most of the shots. So many attempts to make her body long and none of them succeed, she looks rather compact and she isn't, she just looks uncomfortable as hell inside a box, because she's too much like us..

I like all of the covers though.. hopefully Binx's story will be better.

I totally agree with you. And for various reasons I find Gisele's shoot a lot more mesmerizing than Bella's. When I first saw Bella's pics I looked at them without much thought, I liked them but mainly saw a model with a beautiful face who had been asked to take awkward poses I guess. However when I saw Gisele's pics afterwards I had to stare at them for a while wondering who that girl was (in the story), what was she doing in these boxes, was she happy to do this or had she been forced to, etc. All kinds of questions went through my mind trying to figure out what was going on. I could see a story and a character and not just a photoshoot with a model. Bella's shoot doesn't work as well for me, she doesn't convey anything I find, she looks like she's just having her picture taken.
This is also why I love Rianne - I think she's amazing at conveying stories, I always have to stop and stare at her pics, just like I used to do with Kate although I don't find Rianne as mesmerizing as Kate.

Cara + Luna (14p)
Photographer: Oliver Hadlee Pearch
Hair: Stephane Lancien
Make Up: Peter Phillips
Model: Cara Talyor, Luna Bijl

models

Serenity: Good Life / Perfect Circle (29p)
Photographer: Lena C. Emery
Styling: Talluah Harllech
Hair: Kei Terada
Make Up: Janeen Witherspoon
Model: Amanda Murphy, Imari Karanja, Florence Clapcott

streeters

Enjoying the mood of Kris's cover edit shot by Peckmezian. Wonder if their inspo included this simple yet high spirited early 00 Bazaar edit starring Shalom shot by Kadel?

Seems these days minimally set studio shoots get a bad rap. However, in my experience fashion's most memorable shoots and best editorial teams shine the brightest against a plain studio backdrop. The great image makers of our times let the model's and the clothes do the talking. No fish eye lens or over the top set theatrics needed.

Wow, this is a really good issue! Every editorial is so art+fashion+good styling+fresh! I love this.

That Galliano look could have been a cover no?

Indeed, if they had any taste! The editor of this magazine missed their calling running Seventeen.

I do like all the edits posted so far and the review sounds great. Particularly impressed with the Emery edit. Not sure how POP can have so many location shoots in one issues (which I quite like!), yet many of the Vogues will fill their issue with studio shoots. I'm sure these locations are not even exotic in any sense, yet it adds so much production value to the images.

Agreed re location shoots and POP feeling very expensive

I want to see the Sassen shoot. She always delivers with Vanessa Reid. I don't like her cover for Another at all.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->