Post a Totally Random Moment From Fashion History...

Alber's rolling in his grave at that, still, I'm sure...
He championed Kim Kardashian. I’m sure he would have enjoyed it actually…

I think Paris on the cover of VP was more random because it was still a time where her public persona was divisive…Crazy to know, when today being rich and famous is enough.
Despite her name and status, nobody wanted to be associated with her back then. So a really bold move from Carine + she put Alaia (who wasn’t an advertiser) on the cover!

I feel so contrarian about Paris Hilton vs how other people seem to view her in 2024. Somehow I could handle her during her heyday, but I really find her redemption roadshow of the last 5 years to be so… blatantly insincere and cloying. Which is to say, if she modeled for Lanvin during Alber’s time, well, it wouldn’t bother me as much. I just don’t think she’s this fierce fashion kween… not in the 2020s.

Except Paris isn't an influencer or a sugar baby. She'll always have more appeal because of her aristocratic polish. Yes, she was messy af in the 2000s but it's foolish to think that was more than a phase. Paris has a legitimate legacy behind her. She's part of the establishment.

Kim K and the like have no legacy.

Except Paris isn't an influencer or a sugar baby. She'll always have more appeal because of her aristocratic polish. Yes, she was messy af in the 2000s but it's foolish to think that was more than a phase. Paris has a legitimate legacy behind her. She's part of the establishment.

Kim K and the like have no legacy.
You see it that way with the eyes of today.
Back in the days, it wasn’t like that. Rich Kids, in those circles didn’t do that.

There was that extra layer of snobism because she wasn’t an aristocrat actually. Now the Hilton are part of the Aristocracy because they are tied with the Rothschild but that’s it.

She wasn’t a Grimaldi or whatever for example.

But Carine knew all those people because her son was hanging with the Niarchos and Santo Domingo, who were close to Hilton.

But if you look at it, Paris was never really around the cool girls of Aristocracy. Because the aristocratic social circles are always around the industrial wealth. That’s how you have the Agnelli-Elkann being around the Brandollini d’Adda, the Repossi with the Grimaldi or Traina.

I think that Paris’s status allowed her to not care about being part of some social circles. And she became financially independent thanks to her popularity. So she was able to be as vulgar as she wanted whereas Kim wanted her status to be elevated even if her name doesn’t get her the same type of respect (still today).

I feel so contrarian about Paris Hilton vs how other people seem to view her in 2024. Somehow I could handle her during her heyday, but I really find her redemption roadshow of the last 5 years to be so… blatantly insincere and cloying. Which is to say, if she modeled for Lanvin during Alber’s time, well, it wouldn’t bother me as much. I just don’t think she’s this fierce fashion kween… not in the 2020s.
yup, you can tell her PR team really sat down for days scratching their heads 'okay so Y2K is back and you're as Y2K as it gets but you're also stuck in the drawer of irrelevancy as the most unapologetically, in-your-face, out-of-touch, cheugy, bimbo-sounding, classist celebrity who solidified a brand out of using privilege to go around the justice system and looking disgusted around the poor.. nepo-hating gen z will resent you and cancel you in seconds for that unless.... you go full victim, a victim who never had any agency or say in her actions and everything is a consequence of.. 🥁..PROVO!! Provo will be your oppressor, the real force that made you do what you did in your 20s (sex tape and jail time included) and it will come with a full package of documentary, interviews, clips of how unfair and ruthless the 00s were to you all over social media and fashion shoots'.

She'll always have more appeal because of her aristocratic polish. Yes, she was messy af in the 2000s but it's foolish to think that was more than a phase. Paris has a legitimate legacy behind her. She's part of the establishment.
Trash is trash. Like, I'm supposed to respect her more because she's part of the establishment? Ok.

Trash is trash. Like, I'm supposed to respect her more because she's part of the establishment? Ok.
Don't know where you read that I expect you to respect her. Because if we're going to talk about "respect" then I respect almost nobody from the entire industry. It's a capitalist machine that rewards the elite and perpetuates global economic oppression. Paris Hilton is NOT beneath the fashion industry. She's part of the establishment that keeps the industry what it's become. That remains true whether we respect her or not. Our opinion of her person is besides the point.

You see it that way with the eyes of today.
Back in the days, it wasn’t like that. Rich Kids, in those circles didn’t do that.

There was that extra layer of snobism because she wasn’t an aristocrat actually. Now the Hilton are part of the Aristocracy because they are tied with the Rothschild but that’s it.

She wasn’t a Grimaldi or whatever for example.

But Carine knew all those people because her son was hanging with the Niarchos and Santo Domingo, who were close to Hilton.

But if you look at it, Paris was never really around the cool girls of Aristocracy. Because the aristocratic social circles are always around the industrial wealth. That’s how you have the Agnelli-Elkann being around the Brandollini d’Adda, the Repossi with the Grimaldi or Traina.

I think that Paris’s status allowed her to not care about being part of some social circles. And she became financially independent thanks to her popularity. So she was able to be as vulgar as she wanted whereas Kim wanted her status to be elevated even if her name doesn’t get her the same type of respect (still today).
I love how you exposed Kim's parvenu journey. Still she is seem as synonymous with everything wrong in the world, which is a terrible exaggeration of moralists. Kim is a socialite, not a b@by killer.

Paris is interesting because she wanted to be vulgar, trash but she was educated like a lady. So there was always a tension between these two sides. lol

That Givenchy campaign with Gisele was so, so cool. That collection was beautiful.

I was so obsessed with Simone Nobili, I was literally in love with him :lol:

I love how you exposed Kim's parvenu journey. Still she is seem as synonymous with everything wrong in the world, which is a terrible exaggeration of moralists. Kim is a socialite, not a b@by killer.

Paris is interesting because she wanted to be vulgar, trash but she was educated like a lady. So there was always a tension between these two sides. lol
I mean Kim earned her status through her connection to Kanye West, her proximity to the Hip-Hop community as it became the more prevalent culture in the 2010’s. It’s still very much Nouveau Riche and let’s be honest, she doesn’t have access to some circles.

I learned that Beyonce and Jay-Z were invited to the decoration of Bernard Arnault, so for example as entertainers, they have already access to those kinds of world (mainly because his brand his part of LVMH).

Paris has the ability to play on every side. She is the master manipulator in a way. She can project that very fun persona but still be a Trump supporter. She can have a mass image while still be extremely ellitist. She has all the codes of someone of her status, something that Kim is still learning.

It’s really interesting because I think people don’t know Paris Hilton but they do know everything about Kim. And that’s a strength for Paris.

Kim’s status was there from the beginning. Obviously it’s gotten way bigger but her family has been about that crowd in LA. And that Armenian witchcraft is no joke. Also what are the circles she doesn’t have access to? You mean like European aristocracy? Remember that one time she went to the Vienna opera ball and that guy dressed up in black face mocked her 😭 I felt so bad like she definitely is “beneath” some of those ppl. But she’s pretty high up for American standards.

Kim’s status was there from the beginning. Obviously it’s gotten way bigger but her family has been about that crowd in LA. And that Armenian witchcraft is no joke. Also what are the circles she doesn’t have access to? You mean like European aristocracy? Remember that one time she went to the Vienna opera ball and that guy dressed up in black face mocked her 😭 I felt so bad like she definitely is “beneath” some of those ppl. But she’s pretty high up for American standards.
I mean Kim and her family have some sort of connections through people because they were part of those circles. They were not catalysts or major figures in those circles they are around before the validation of the fashion industry.
This is why Kanye West understood that she had to rebrand, to wear different brands, to be associated with influential figures in the industry. They understood that the power of influence of the fashion industry could have a halo effect on the entire family.

The fashion industry is an industry of influence, of tastemakers where Art, culture, finances, lifestyle and everything co-exist.

I don’t think back then in ladies who lunch dinners, Kris Jenner went head to head in terms of influence with Kathy Hilton. But today she can.

Nevertheless, the Hilton have that name that allows them to be in close proximity to aristocracy and we know that those people look down to people like the Kardashian.

The Vienna Opera Ball is the Le Bal De La Rose or Le Bal De Debutantes.

We see it with The Ritchie girl who went through a phase of respectability.

And yes, @GoldenPetals explained it more briefly and better than my paragraphs can.

Too lazy to look in my "archives" for the content of this interview, but the lil "squad" Kenzo, Karl, and Sonia formed in the 1970s when it came to prêt-à-porter (at least with regards to how it was presented as those big 3 in magazines I own from the time... with Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Dorothee Bis, Emanuelle Khan, Daniel Hechter, and Tan Guidicelli (RIP) not being far behind.

Anyway, somehow this all looks so casual... can't imagine this happening now.

1716770517170.png
wwd

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misanita
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->