Post a Totally Random Moment From Fashion History...

I did a ton of cleaning this evening and I ended up flipping through my collection of Vogue Japan and some of those cover lines were... clunkers. :lol: I also forgot that they had a lot of fun freebies with the magazine (which I never removed because I'm... a completionist?).

vogue.co.jp

I love these covers, It is so rare to see sexy beautiful supermodels in rich clothes doing their thing, we don't have that in the industry anymore

Now we have leftover wannabes, nepo babies, diversity hires and political activists looking like Hunger Games citizens of Panem or they are dressing like homeless

When this man, Buzz Bissinger, became a celebrity on the fashion scene. His GQ article on his lavish shopping addiction is a fun read.

IMG_4460.jpeg

omg I can't believe it took us 65 pages to finally get to this! yeah that story and how, after the backlash, Anna Wintour used JJB as a scapegoat and fired her.
"I think that Vogue is always on the lookout for good-looking first ladies because they’re a combination of power and beauty and elegance. That’s what Vogue is about. And here was this woman who had never given an interview, who was extremely thin and very well-dressed and therefore, qualified to be in Vogue. And they had — Vogue had been trying to get her for quite a long time." --Joan Juliet Buck

"Like many at that time, we were hopeful that the Assad regime would be open to a more progressive society. Subsequent to our interview, as the terrible events of the past year and a half unfolded in Syria, it became clear that its priorities and values were completely at odds with those of Vogue. The escalating atrocities in Syria are unconscionable and we deplore the actions of the Assad regime in the strongest possible terms." --Anna Wintour

I also remember reading this article from the NY mag at that time and in retrospect I acutally admire JJB's integrity in a world of liberal hypocrisy.

When ELLE made feel every women special with a mirror in the cover

The consistency of Elle (France) is remarkable and far superior to Vogue. Their engagement towards women too, I can’t recall a magazine having more influence about women politics and general wellness in all aspects of life, especially the weekly Elle France.

"I think that Vogue is always on the lookout for good-looking first ladies because they’re a combination of power and beauty and elegance. That’s what Vogue is about. And here was this woman who had never given an interview, who was extremely thin and very well-dressed and therefore, qualified to be in Vogue. And they had — Vogue had been trying to get her for quite a long time." --Joan Juliet Buck

"Like many at that time, we were hopeful that the Assad regime would be open to a more progressive society. Subsequent to our interview, as the terrible events of the past year and a half unfolded in Syria, it became clear that its priorities and values were completely at odds with those of Vogue. The escalating atrocities in Syria are unconscionable and we deplore the actions of the Assad regime in the strongest possible terms." --Anna Wintour

I also remember reading this article from the NY mag at that time and in retrospect I acutally admire JJB's integrity in a world of liberal hypocrisy.
JJB was imho the best editor of any vogue, with Anna and Carla. Far superior to that Anna girl, who, I must recognize, is perfectly fitted to the mediocrity of her times.

Not in a bad way, but Tina Fey's fashion moment seems kind of random to me in retrospect. Of course she was successful with 30 Rock, the Sarah Palin impressions, the movies she was doing, etc. She was just so different compared to who was getting fashion covers at the time!! I should re-watch 30 Rock.

1723322495509.png 1723322566069.png
design scene, art8amby

VO080119_CANDIDATES_01.jpg
source: vogue.com

Recently the resurgence of Tulsi Gabbard reminds me of this democratic primaries editorial where they dismissed Marianne Williamson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theseaswell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->