Post a Totally Random Moment From Fashion History...

Not in a bad way, but Tina Fey's fashion moment seems kind of random to me in retrospect. Of course she was successful with 30 Rock, the Sarah Palin impressions, the movies she was doing, etc. She was just so different compared to who was getting fashion covers at the time!! I should re-watch 30 Rock.

View attachment 1295071 View attachment 1295072
design scene, art8amby
Her expressions are a little "I'm just as surprised as you are that I'm on the cover". Wish Jane Krakowski got the same treatment though. Jenna is one of the best things about 30 Rock.

I'm surprised that she didn't even get a Marie Claire or Glamour cover, in retrospect.
That's actually really surprising. The closest she got was a Town and Country cover after a quick search. No group shot on Rolling Stone or Vanity Fair. No huge features in edits or profiles. Kind of criminal if you ask me.

The revival of Vionnet by Goga Ashkenazi and its first demi-couture collection

Please give us some ideas about what the original peices looked like
I believe that it was a 1-1 reproduction (It was 2 days, not a day). They did have to drop 4 designs due to sourcing issues. Also, it was a demi-couture collection. The designs were sold in standard sizes before being fitted to a client, rather than being remade from scratch like traditional HC.
Goga Ashkenazi has been at the helm of Vionnet since the middle of last year. She had no formal design training before she presented her first ready-to-wear collection for Spring 2013. But lack of experience has done nothing to dampen her ambition.

Maybe she's feeling emboldened by the red-carpet coup she landed at Cannes; Carey Mulligan wore the black and white finale number from the Fall Vionnet collection to the Inside Llewyn Davis premiere. Today, Ashkenazi presented what she's calling a new demi-couture collection for the label. "We figured out how to make the dresses more affordable but use the same couture techniques," she said. Through eliminating "the endless fittings" and selling by size with a single fitting at the end, Goga and co. have shaved one of the zeros off the end of current couture prices; the pieces will go from $10,000 to $30,000, rather than the hundreds of thousands of dollars that true made-to-measure creations can sell for at other houses.

That's good news for customers, but there was a wrinkle with the new launch. A shipping snafu forced the team to remake ten of the eleven dresses in the collection in forty-eight hours. (The presentation was originally scheduled for yesterday.) Four other designs couldn't be produced in the short time period because they weren't able to source the fabrics. The fact that Ashkenazi made it happen at all is further testament to her ambition, and deep pockets.

With the exception of a lace bodysuit embellished with dripped resin that looked remarkably like encrustations of tiny seed beads, these were event dresses. From understated to less so: a red plissé gown with black tube beads embroidered at the waist and in piles at the shoulders, a green hourglass column with a built-in cape and feathers stitched into the shape of a dragon on the bodice, and a tent dress with sheer gazar insets and matte sequin embroideries meant to mimic the spines on a dragon's back. A bit much, that one. The best of the bunch came in nude silk and a draped emerald green laminated matte satin with a papery hand. Its skirt was in dégradé plissé, but it nonetheless caught some of the cool minimalism of Mulligan's Cannes number.
Vogue Runway

Apparently the whole collection was made in a day, because the original pieces were lost during transit.

I believe that it was a 1-1 reproduction (It was 2 days, not a day). They did have to drop 4 designs due to sourcing issues. Also, it was a demi-couture collection. The designs were sold in standard sizes before being fitted to a client, rather than being remade from scratch like traditional HC.

Vogue Runway

Just Like Christopher Kane’s Spring 2008, stolen by someone so they had to remake everything in days; also recently with Balmain

The consistency of Elle (France) is remarkable and far superior to Vogue. Their engagement towards women too, I can’t recall a magazine having more influence about women politics and general wellness in all aspects of life, especially the weekly Elle France.
What always drives me wild about vintage Elle France, in particular, is that it STILL feels educational (albeit dated), in a way that a lot of current magazines could never! I'll never forget the issue I own that has a full photo feature about an open heart transplant!! There was another one on the birth of a premature baby! I can't imagine how important those features must have been back in the 1960s.

View attachment 1295450
source: nowfashion.com/

Vionnet x Hussein Chalayan

By now I guess everybody at TFS knows how highly I hold Chalayan in regard - That, however, has got to be one of the lower points of his career where the conceptualism lead to more head-scratching results. Worst of all, I see little to no resemblance of Vionnet in any of these looks!

Oh, the mere thought of how Vionnet could have looked like through the eyes of Alber… 😍

Out of nowhere, I remembered The Cut, a Project Runway copycat where Tommy Hilfiger was searching for some sort of "fashion designer". I can't find any evidence of this show on YouTube... but I did find his daughter's Pre-Simple Life/Pre-Kardashian reality show :lol:

Last edited:
^ They had them for sale at his exhibit at The Met last year! :lol:

Actually, Karl's merch at the exhibit was... yikes, in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flipflapthedoodoo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->