Prabal Gurung for Target

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
At this point, you might be thinking, Who hasn’t designed for Target? Well, according to Prabal Gurung—the latest designer to collaborate with the mega-store—the better question is, Who has? “It’s almost like a rite of passage for new, young designers,” he says. “You know what I mean?”

He’s right. The roster of names that have brought their vision to Target over the past six years is considerable: Missoni, Proenza Schouler, and Rodarte, among more than fifteen others. Now, nearly four years after launching his own label, Gurung’s time has come, and on February 10, 2013, his 80-plus-piece collection of clothes, bags, jewelry and shoes will hit stores. And there’s not much more to say about it than that—most everything, save for the single look above, is still under wraps. But Gurung will reveal that, aside from a killer price range ($19.99 for a T-shirt to $199.99 for the leather jacket) and loads of his signature prints and graphic details, it’s all about love. “My own collection is also inspired by the idea of emotion and all of those things,” Gurung says. “Since this is coming out in February, I thought it was the perfect fit.”
vogue

Attachments

• prabal1.jpg
    prabal1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 68
i'm kind of intrigued just going off of that preview image...
curious to see the prints up close and how he used them in the collection.

he sounds like a good fit for this type of collaboration...

though i have to admit i tend to forget about the target collabs these days...

The Target + Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection isn’t even out yet, and you’re already teaming up with Target again?
Prabal Gurung: The Holiday Collection definitely gave me a taste of what the partnership would be like, but this collection took it to a whole new level. I knew Target would be a great partner to introduce an affordable collection that still reflected my design aesthetic.
Have you always wanted to create a mass collection?
PG: I believe collaborations are important to remaining fresh and relevant in the fast-moving world of fashion and most importantly, they allow you to reach a wider audience. For me, it is an exciting challenge to interpret my aesthetic into a mass-produced product.
What is the inspiration behind the collection?
PG: The collection is inspired by a girl’s journey through the different stages of love and the clothes she wears during each milestone—from the first date to meeting the parents to the engagement.
Was designing for a bigger audience different from your luxury collection?
PG: Mixing “high” and “mass” fashion is the modern way of dressing; people don’t wear head-to-toe high-end designers anymore. These types of collaborations allow people to experience designer clothes at an affordable price, while still maintaining the look of luxury. So I worked side-by-side with Target to create the highest quality product at amazing prices. I think you’ll be impressed with the level of quality in the collection.(abullseyeview)

video interview (which you can view here. i can't embed it....)

Last edited by a moderator:
dailymail.co.uk

Attachments

• prab1.jpg
    prab1.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 21
  • prab2.jpg
    prab2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 16
  • prab3.jpg
    prab3.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 30
  • prab4.jpg
    prab4.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 11
  • prab5.jpg
    prab5.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 13
  • prab6.jpg
    prab6.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 20
so jealous that Target gets all the good designers

i wished H&M would get more young designers, in addition to their crop of established European ones...

The first image looks enticing, but I'm always cautious about Target items because of the junior sizing and quality issues. It will be a surprise to see if that print will be that rich and saturated in real life.

The first image looks enticing, but I'm always cautious about Target items because of the junior sizing and quality issues. It will be a surprise to see if that print will be that rich and saturated in real life.

nylonmag

they look a bit saturated here.

so curious to check this out! getting kind of excited actually... :woot:
that blazer looks so cute!

there is a preview of this in the february teen vogue. there are some strappy gladiator-esque sandals with heels for 50$ that i'm sure a lot of people will want. wasnt enthused with the 3 other garments they showed.

Why do these collaborations have to feature so many busy prints? Those florals are headache-inducing.

not really keen on these. these shoes will sell fast though!

shopsavesequins instagram

Attachments

• prabal.jpg
    prabal.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 32
Am I the only one who think that the arm poles on the dress are enormous?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2000scvnty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->