Prabal Gurung Resort 2012

Flashbang

Mr. Magic
Reaction score
NEW YORK, June 16, 2011

By Nicole Phelps

Prabal Gurung is getting the word—or rather, the look—of his debut Resort collection out in a powerful way. A video of Rye Rye's latest single, "New Thing," hit the Internet yesterday; in it, the Baltimore-born rapper and her crew wear the designer's clothes exclusively. The graphic black and white pattern of a jacket even informed the LED lights on the set. Gurung, who won the Swarovski Award for Womenswear at the CFDAs last week, will have no trouble seducing other boldfacers with this pretty, colorful lineup.

"I wanted to do something not just commercial but also covetable," the designer explained. He pointed out a green silk tank and draped skirt that can be worn separately or together for a total of three looks, and, in contrast, a cocktail dress hand-embroidered with dégradé sequins that were individually singed before being sewn on. In between those two extremes were Prabal signatures like V-neck tank dresses with subtle volume in the skirt and fitted sheaths, the most head-turning one in an ombré matelasse fabric. The designer has built his reputation as a dressmaker, but he lavished special care on his tailoring as well; simple button-downs turned to reveal draped pleats and expertly placed prints. Trust Gurung to bring the drama, day or night.
01m.jpg
02m.jpg

03m.jpg
04m.jpg

05m.jpg
06m.jpg

07m.jpg
08m.jpg

style.com

Recycling last summer's shoes are we? It a very nice collection.

oh dear. i don't like prabal's foray into prints and his formal wear looks like a quick re-do of some oscar de la renta favorites. however, leaving those aside, he has given us some of the most spectacular party dresses -- count me mesmerized by the black and red frock -- that we've seen in resort so far. and those pants....must have.

silhouettes by Balenciaga, prints and dimensions by Mary Katrantzou, heels by Ohne Titel? :ermm: only the colors strike me as distinctly Prabal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blissfullychelle
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->