Prada eliminates "Fat,ugly,old workers"

She's cute! And her body looks fine too! I think Prada need to get real.

Honestly, I believe this woman's story. Appearances are so very, very important in Asia particularly when it comes to jobs (photos are scrutinized, relationship status for example) and especially a luxury store. I've heard so many stories of people getting turned down for various jobs because they "weren't the right look" even though they were more than qualified with skills. I'm sure appearances were scrutinized there. This is actually really interesting, I thought that litigation was extremely low in Japan as it's not socially acceptable to make a big to-do about something like this, but you should instead just accept it quietly (if this is wrong please let me know, I'd love to know more!). I wonder what the outcome of this will be...

Honestly, I believe this woman's story. Appearances are so very, very important in Asia particularly when it comes to jobs (photos are scrutinized, relationship status for example) and especially a luxury store. I've heard so many stories of people getting turned down for various jobs because they "weren't the right look" even though they were more than qualified with skills. I'm sure appearances were scrutinized there. This is actually really interesting, I thought that litigation was extremely low in Japan as it's not socially acceptable to make a big to-do about something like this, but you should instead just accept it quietly (if this is wrong please let me know, I'd love to know more!). I wonder what the outcome of this will be...

Actually, lollicandy, one cannot speak of "Asia" as such in one lump. I too, actually have heard stories of female employees being openly fired for their looks in certain (less so-called "globalized" for lack of a better word) Asian countries, I have never heard of such a thing being done in Japan, (openly ...covertly, I'm sure it happens to the same extent as anywhere else internationally) not only would be illegal but we are very very sensitive to sexual harrassment and at least trying to keep a semblance of equality. Like you say, it is much more rare to sue your own company in Japan than in the U.S. for example, which only shows what a shock and uproar this scandal was.

Also, importantly: Davide Sesia, the chief executive officer in question here who told the women that he was ashamed to show their ugliness to the reps from Italy and should be fired was Italian, not Japanese. I love Italy, but it wouldn't be the first time I hear such stories from Italy... :innocent:

May 15: Japan Times:
Two former managers to file harassment suits against Prada

By MINORU MATSUTANI
Staff writer
Two former shop managers of Prada Japan will file harassment lawsuits against the company, a move inspired by a former senior retail manager who sued the company for another harassment case, her lawyer said Friday.
Yoshiki Kojima, the lawyer for former senior retail manager Rina Bovrisse, revealed the move when her suit commenced before the Tokyo District Court.
spacer.gif
Bovrisse is demanding the company apologize, pay compensation for emotional distress and come up with measures to prevent harassment.
Kojima told journalists that he will try to combine the two planned lawsuits by the two former shop managers with Bovrisse's.
Bovrisse alleges Prada Japan's CEO asked her to get rid of shop managers and assistant managers who he described as unattractive last May. After she refused to do so, Prada Japan's human resources manager gave most of those managers, including the two planning to file suit, transfer orders that amounted to demotions in May and June last year, according to Bovrisse and a shop manager and two assistant shop managers who received the orders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->