Prada S/S 2020 Milan

One of her best collections, but do agree that the bags are weak.

The problem with the bags is that save for Galleria you can't tell whether it's Prada or Céline or Bottega Veneta or Loewe. But, in my opinion, everybody is doing the same thing today.

The shoes very exceptionally "normal", which I kinda enjoy.

I'm really looking forward to the menswear after the FW19 debacle!

Nothing new nor exciting, just another remix of her past collections.

But this time at least is not over-styled and looks clean (and no a single cheap logo in sight).

I miss the excitement of seeing a new Prada collection...

As if Olivier called all the shots in the collections... his earlier work was actually very simple (as in what he could do with one single garment, instead of doing the same x20 in one same look plus accessories). This is just Prada, full of gimmicks and toys for the idiots that buy it and are always starved for that, so he's been giving what they were already doing before he even got there and I guess buying apartments or whatever along the way.. it's sad, but this gig is probably more representative of his moral compass than the aesthetic that got him there (and I guess they can be separate, but inside one same body..? :glare:). If anything I applaud him for arranging this ugly mess in a way that looks semi-coherent.

I don't even know what I'm doing in a Prada thread but it looks to me as cringey as it's looked for the past.. hmm.. 12 years?. Normally I like this idea that designers operate like artists and they reach some stages that can be very prolonged and one certainly can't expect them to deliver the same thing over and over, definitely not subject them to what they were doing in 1991, 1997, because I'm sure their life and way of conceiving fashion in this case has (hopefully) changed. In the case of conglomerates like this.. because they spend a poor country's GDP every 6 months pushing their imagery, clothes, notion of luxury, "fashion", style and whatnot so aggressively, I refuse to give them a break.. this directly targets the masses (whether they consume Prada or not) and as such, it's too in-your-face garbage to the point it's grotesque and so out of touch with even just youth. Imagine this in one of these tragic little white catwalks from NYFW and that's where it belongs.

She needs to start saying 'no' more, less is more.. then let go of her desperate accessories and finally to take herself less seriously.. more as a clothes-maker than as the artist she's not. She's bought more into her 'quirkiness' than anyone else and yes, it looked kind of like that in maybe 2002, but now? it's the wardrobe of some female Derek Blasberg who wants to talk about fashion and labels and name-drops all day long. In other words, a snoozefest.

Seeing Freja open in that elegant and simple look was amazing I have to say. Although it's not my favourite collection by Miuccia, it is very refreshing to see everything taken down a notch. For once, the prints don't take centre stage and the clothes speak for themselves.

^
MulletProof you nailed it! Prada is like Frankenstein, a sad creature nowadays, constantly reanimated with desperate force, struggling to find a real voice in the modern world.
Muccia should retire and enjoy her beautiful art collection.

it's never getting better anymore.

Wow...shocked it's not bad. However it feels very anonymous and obviously so influenced by JW, and although he's pretty much producing the only decent collections these days, it's still pretty sad when you have to point out that the once most influential designer in the world is in the shadow of someone fairly fresh in the industry...

For some reason I feel this would work better for Miu Miu; I don't like it when she messes with the Prada staples, for example, the hem lengths and motifs she uses, as she's done here.

In a nutshell: Quite boring, but not awful. Wohoo...

...it looks to me as cringey...

I think you’re being overly dismissive and harsh. This collection is a huge improvement over the last 12 years. The gimmicky baubles, whatzits and thingamabobs reside only in the accessories. The clothes are pretty subdued and, in my opinion, quite nice.

^ it comes off like that because I hardly bother to comment on labels/people that I don't think are worth commenting on.

Calling it nice is your taste talking and we can't argue with that. And perhaps we have varying understandings of subdued, too. There's nothing subdued about being rushing to dump every existing textile, plus gold plus orange, a few prints, black and white because 'everyone will buy black and white', the polos, the shirts, a black leather skirt, a sea of ~quirky~ accessories.. as if to say surely you must like at least ONE thing here..?, since I've covered it all!. It's kind of laughable and very post-2005 Versace in strategy and we all know why that was.

I don't think there's any "huge improvement" here, but interested in examples....

i really liked the first 5 rows of the collection (first 20 looks); it's cohesive, sophisticated and a new silhouette for prada.
but after that it gets messy, imo.

^ it comes off like that because I hardly bother to comment on labels/people that I don't think are worth commenting on.

Calling it nice is your taste talking and we can't argue with that. And perhaps we have varying understandings of subdued, too. There's nothing subdued about being rushing to dump every existing textile, plus gold plus orange, a few prints, black and white because 'everyone will buy black and white', the polos, the shirts, a black leather skirt, a sea of ~quirky~ accessories.. as if to say surely you must like at least ONE thing here..?, since I've covered it all!. It's kind of laughable and very post-2005 Versace in strategy and we all know why that was.

I don't think there's any "huge improvement" here, but interested in examples....

sub·dued
/ˌsəbˈd(y)o͞od/
soft and restrained.
  1. "a subdued plaid shirt"
    synonyms: dim, muted, toned down, softened, soft, lowered, shaded, low-key, subtle, unobtrusive, understated;
Minus all the patterned textiles and turbid colors, it’s fairly minimal and understated throughout. I’m not going to waste my time naming specific looks. Just look at the clothes! Vogue even called it “a new take on elegance and understatement” in their headline. So me and Vogue are in somewhat of an agreement.

Maybe you’re distracted by all the jewelry and those stupid cloche hats?

Or maybe it’s just dumb to argue with a stranger on the internet who oddly comments on things they insist are not worth them commenting on.

^ dumb but maybe not out of character...

I simply elaborated on why my comment may have come off as harsh: not a fan, so not pretty flowers coming out of my comment. As for why, you'd have to scroll back and see that I said I didn't know what I'm doing here, whether it's odd or not to comment on Prada, Dancing with the Stars and other things that don't matter.. I don't think it is, it's actually a very mundane thing to do.. but I do try not to.

Isn't Prada in Vogue's "Top 10 collections of the season" or whatever they call it, every season? kind of does a number on your 'huge improvement' statement..

This was a weird show. The set is so bright and the styling is very off key for the brand. The entire vibe is on another planet. Don't get me wrong, the collection is good, it's just not Prada, new or old. I admire her effort in hitting reboot. However, I think she wiped the slate too clean. There isn't really anything remotely Prada-esque about it. Where is the story and the depth? It's hollow and lifeless, repetitive even. All we have here is clothes. The Frankenstein collection was atrocious, but at least it had life. I hate to say it but maybe it really is time for her to pass the torch.

I frankly don't understand how much less can it still reduce for Prada to match the expectation of some of you folks.
Probably never enough. It's all gone to Francisco Costa territory and you still ask for less. Absurd.

I don't like this collection. But I think going for a 1920 direction is right and an on point decision.
What would work for me is it's also about time to make the departure from Miuccia era, and get some fresh aesthetic pulled in. The brand needs to embark on to the next chapter of the story. People are bored.

Marc Jacobs and Prada share a lot often but Prada often comes across as a basic b*tch version of Marc Jacobs, the clothes lack the fun, emotion and sass which his clothes have IMO.

This collection reminds me of MJ's Fall 2007 collection with that 30s/70s feel.

Marc Jacobs to me looks like the basic b*tch Prada, it's very obvious how Prada managed to create a stylish, brave statement each season and then Marc always looked like thrift store finds but heavily styled. I won't deny that F/W 07 was a good show for him but I prefer how detailed these clothes are, Prada is always so much more nuanced.

I think this collection was really pretty, it reminds me of S/S 06 with how loose everything fits and the vintage elements which look warm and nostalgic. The knit skirts and vests are quite charming, that white dress with black embroidery is so pure and the lime top with the pleated gray skirt is a dream. A win and a Milan highlight, as it should be with Prada, those colorful tiles were the cherry on top.

P.S: The styling did remind me of Benjamin Bruno for J.W. particularly those unfinished cloche hats and the seashell jewellry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->