Prada vs. Prada Sport/Linea Rossa

ilaughead

Reaction score
What exactly is the difference between these two lines? I know the Sport line is a diffusion line of Prada, but, at least in the men's collections, the shoes are comparably priced and even appear on the runway. Is there any other difference in quality or style? (Other than the red line, of course.)

What brings this up is that I saw a sweater in GQ a bit ago and I fell in love with it. However, for the price of $250, it seems rather cheap for the main line, but since it is a sweatshirt fabric, the price could just be lower than most of the stuff.

prada linea rossa (formerly 'prada sport') is total crap.

Well... Prada is a lot dressier than Prada Sport... In my experience there's no big difference in quality, but I would say that Prada is *generally* a bit more expensive because it's more tailored and the materials used are often more luxurious.

I agree with tott... Since Prada Linea Rossa is meant to be used as sailing gear, I guess the company wanted something chic to be dressed in for their boat racing competitions. I also think they wanted to advertise something other than the main "P R A D A" logo, so they came up with the red stripe thing and decided to market it as a line of clothing. Miuccia Prada said that her sport line is not a diffusion line but completed the whole brand's look, from day to night and the gymnasium. Last of what I heard is that the company was trying to avoid the "red stripe" look.

^That would be a good move.

Well, if it's part of the Prada mainline, then it should be presented on the runway and designed by her and her team.

Arturo21 said:
^That would be a good move.

Well, if it's part of the Prada mainline, then it should be presented on the runway and designed by her and her team.

IT IS!!

There was a whole runway presentation a couple seasons ago for PRADA mainline that showed nothing but Prada Sport. I'm almost positive it was in 1998 and 1999. Both for Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter that season Prada showed the sport line on the runway. But it was only for s/s 1999 that she showed only Prada sport on the runway. For autumn/winter 1999 she mixed classic Prada with Prada sporting.

I think it was later that the sport line split from the main collection to become a line on its own.

I have a sweater from the Prada Sport line and a dress from the main Prada line. They are both the exact same quality (fantastic!) :D

To say that "prada sport is crap" is very harsh to say.
It is a line of high quality sporty clothing, they have some really nice pieces in their collection as well.
It is just very different then their main line, a customer of their main line might not always like their sport line cause it is more about their label then the design.

love prada sport's men's and women's sneakers

don't care for too much else from this line though

I remember it used to be better quality when it was still called "Prada Sport". The microfibre nylon jackets and coats were 2nd to none.

But now Prada uses some kind of hard plastic type of nylon. Feels rough and stiff to the touch.

jenn said:
love prada sport's men's and women's sneakers

don't care for too much else from this line though

ditto. I'm thinking of getting these:

S4M4976_mp.jpg

*neimanmarcus.com

Andro said:
I agree with tott... Since Prada Linea Rossa is meant to be used as sailing gear, I guess the company wanted something chic to be dressed in for their boat racing competitions. I also think they wanted to advertise something other than the main "P R A D A" logo, so they came up with the red stripe thing and decided to market it as a line of clothing. Miuccia Prada said that her sport line is not a diffusion line but completed the whole brand's look, from day to night and the gymnasium. Last of what I heard is that the company was trying to avoid the "red stripe" look.

For the boat racing there is another line : LUNA ROSSA.
Linea Rossa is the sport line. some stuff for ski, and more like elegant sportive.

katie_s said:
For the boat racing there is another line : LUNA ROSSA.
Linea Rossa is the sport line. some stuff for ski, and more like elegant sportive.

See, I learn something new everyday at thefsahionspot! Thats a new one for me. :cool:

Thankyou, Andro - didn't know. :flower:

I saw some jeans at Barney's a few weeks ago, and they looked horrible (and they were extremely expensive), but I was impressed by some of the knits - I was expecting it all to be diffusion-like crap. It wasn't all as bad as I thought it would be, given the 'sport' name and the hype - some was actually nice.

I just think they did a really bad job in creating the image, from the tags to the logo.

Didn't Neil Barret design the Sport collection a few years back? His big break (apart from Gucci),no? I think he does well with sportswear, for what I've seen at 96 Hours I've loved.

^Oh man, those jeans you're talking about are so awful.

I tend to despise Linea Rossa. The biggest luxury retailer around here buys mostly Linea Rossa for the men's department; the few mainline pieces I've seen have been basic tees and such. However, the women's department is FULL of very nice mainline pieces and NO Linea Rossa. That always pisses me off. Men get $100-$200 plain (though nice) tees, and the women get $1000-$2000 runway pieces. Boo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->