Preen: A Retrospective

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
In the spirit of our wonderful memeber Cerfas,I thought I'd start a thread of a timeline of all their amazing collections.

I will start with my most favorites of their earliest.

Preen is a design duo based in London. Justin Thornton and Thea Bregazzi have known each other since they were eighteen, when they were living and studying in the Isle of Man. Initially launched on a modest scale in Portobello Green in 1996, Preen went on to establish itself as a stand-alone shop in Notting Hill a year later. The business started to expand to various locations including Tokyo and Hong Kong in 1998. Preen debuted in London Fashion Week in Spring/Summer 2001 and is debuting in Paris Fashion Week in Spring/Summer 2005. Influenced by Helen Storey, whom Thornton worked with in his early career, recycled antique material has been a significant feature in Preen's collection of futuristic street wear and quirky tailoring.

*Showstudio

A/W 2000-
100004353.jpg
100004355.jpg
100004356.jpg
100004357.jpg
100004363.jpg
100004365.jpg
100004366.jpg
100004367.jpg
100004372.jpg
100004373.jpg
100004375.jpg
100004382.jpg
100004387.jpg
100004388.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The stuff at Preen always looks good, a very fresh house I think. Great topic Scott, I look forward to see all the pics in here.

You're welcome Helena and Mr. Dale :flower:

Here's the rest of A/W 01 as I had to step away from the computer earlier....this one and the first are my favorite collections from them. And one can see the slight differences between these and what they've been doing the most recent seasons.

4r6yx1
4r6z2c
4r6z5f
4r6zc6
4r6zp0
4r6zus
4r6zww
4r702t

Hehe, I'm flattered Scott, thank you
And I love Preen, and love to see all of these images gathered together in a chronological fashion. Some really beauitful clothes!
Spacemiu, the looks you posted are gorgeous as well, thank you for your pictures as well. Number five is particularly striking.

Spring 2002 from firstview.com
00023.L.JPG
00030.L.JPG
00033.L.JPG
00053.L.JPG

i really like the last two items posted on #6
the white dress posted #9
and the last outift cerfas posted

thanks for the thread..i'm pretty unfamiliar w/ the brand.

cerfas said:
Hehe, I'm flattered Scott, thank you
And I love Preen, and love to see all of these images gathered together in a chronological fashion. Some really beauitful clothes!
Spacemiu, the looks you posted are gorgeous as well, thank you for your pictures as well. Number five is particularly striking.

:P You're welcome :D

Your threads inspired me. Just in general,I think these two deserved one.

And thank to the both of you for the extra images I didn't get on. Really appreciate it....especially to see the evolution in their work.

One thing I love about these two,is that whilst they do indeed evolve,there remains certain signatures like their leg-o-mutton sleeves....puff sleeved blazers and of course the recycling. I really love the way they work with recycled fur. That is recycled vintage,not fresh skins for all you animal rights politicsts that look here.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice indeed...:heart:...
i think these guys are my new fetish...i'd like to read something about them and their brand...

the thing i like is that they found their own voice...they have developed a certain vocabulary and are consistent...they have their own very specific signature...which is very recognizable...
it is off-beat...but still 'pretty'/wearable...they manage to to be creative and commercial at once...which is not an easy accomplishment...

and they haven't gotten 'stale'...
while they are consistent...they are not redundant or boring...so many young designers who start off strong turn out to be 'one-hit-wonders'...they have one good idea and just repeat themselves over and over...which is sooooo disappointing...because we always hope and wish for more if it's something we love...

imo...these guys are actually getting better...which is a sign of real talent....they are refining their vision...and as much as i love their older collections...i think i like the newer ones even more...this is the first season i'm motivated to actually add some of it to my wardrobe...(f/w 05/06)...hopefully seven will have some good pieces...

thanks for the pictures guys...:flower:

i'm loving the leg-o-mutton sleeves and i do like the way they use the fur --i'd wear those pieces :huh: ..i can't figure out exactly how to describe preen overall...i'll have to think about it.

wow, these are all really beautiful...
i especially love the first group of images that scott posted.

travolta said:
i'm loving the leg-o-mutton sleeves and i do like the way they use the fur --i'd wear those pieces :huh: ..i can't figure out exactly how to describe preen overall...i'll have to think about it.

Whenever I look at their collections,there are always so many elements that is a bit difficult to pinpoint. They do have this Medievel sense in contrast with an Edwardian/Victorian thing. But that's as much as I can say,though.

I always think Preen borders a demension somewhere between the future and and historical British isles. but it's not really easey to describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->