Protecting leather soled shoes

mrbutom

Reaction score
Greetings
In the past, I have had some thin black rubber applied to my leather soled shoes to protect from scuffing, this has worked fine.

However, I have been told now that this is not recommended, and that I should let the leather" breathe", applying the thin rubber can cause rotting.

I am completely confused now, what do you do with this type of shoe ? apply the rubber? if i leave them unprotected- the soles will eventually become scuffed and impossible to walk in without slipping- but on the other hand aren't leather soled shoes meant to last longer?

Thanks in advance

Leather is a pretty durable sole for a shoe... I don't see any need for them to be protected... if you ever wear them out you can just get your shoes re-soled.

Luna said:
if you ever wear them out

ever? do you all wear your shoes indoors? :rolleyes:

I always re-sole my leather soled shoes with rubber, as soon as I get them, since they will get destroyed after being worn just two or three times..
I don't see the point with leather soles.. :huh:

two confilcting views, i see the sense in protecting them, and this resole procedure, is it costly ?

Dego said:
ever? do you all wear your shoes indoors? :rolleyes:

I always re-sole my leather soled shoes with rubber, as soon as I get them, since they will get destroyed after being worn just two or three times..
I don't see the point with leather soles.. :huh:

If you're wearing the soles of your shoes out on two wears.. then something is wrong.

Leather soles have been used since... forever? And if it's a good quality leather, it will wear out eventually... but it will take some time before that happens. Most of the time, my heel lift ends up wearing out first (but those are generally made of plastic)

I generally get thin rubber half soles put on leather soles. I walk a ton, sometimes in rain or snow, and slippage is an issue. The half sole also gives a bit more shock protection to the shoe. Getting the leather soles resoled when worn through is an option of course, but it's much more expensive to get the shoes resoled as opposed to getting the rubber half soles.

Luna said:
If you're wearing the soles of your shoes out on two wears.. then something is wrong.

Don't know what kind of leather soles you're referring to, but the ones on some of the shoes I buy (most of them have synthetic soles to start with, fortunately) get ruined after two or three outings. What kind of leather would hold against the wear and friction you put your soles through during a day of walking outside?

snickerdoodles said:
I generally get thin rubber half soles put on leather soles. I walk a ton, sometimes in rain or snow, and slippage is an issue. The half sole also gives a bit more shock protection to the shoe. Getting the leather soles resoled when worn through is an option of course, but it's much more expensive to get the shoes resoled as opposed to getting the rubber half soles.

yes, slippage is a major issue if i don't resole them. Any one know what the shoe makers recommend?

Synthetic soles are nothing compared to leather ones.

Dego said:
What kind of leather would hold against the wear and friction you put your soles through during a day of walking outside?
Any good quality leather, as found on good quality shoes.

Emery said:
Any good quality leather, as found on good quality shoes.

Oh, so that's why designer shoes are so damn expensive? Durable leather for soles must cost sooo much?! :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I'll believe it when I see it. :ninja:

snickerdoodles said:

Where do you buy rubber half soles? I couldn't find them in drugstores. They only sell insoles. I'm starting to get a little slippage with my leather soles, and they're "vero cuoio." Help please! :huh:

snickerdoodles said:

i get this done as well...
most fashion editors i know get this done...the best shoe places recommend it...for all the reasons stated above...

especially if you do a lot of walking...you have better traction and the leather is protected if it rains or something...and it's easier on your feet and legs...so you can wear your shoes longer without discomfort...

costs about $20...i recommend it if you can afford it...
especially if you have expensive shoes with a fine leather sole that will wear out more quickly...this will extend the life of your shoes and make them more comfortable to wear...:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh oops. I thought you could just put them on yourself. lol.

Thanks for that helpful info, snickerdoodles and softgrey!! :wink: I'll definitely look into this and try to find a place. But I'm out of the city (SF) right now so it might be kind of hard...

:unsure:

EDIT: I just found a place in the yellow pages and called them. The woman said it would cost $25 and take about 3 days to a week. Is this normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes aerin....sounds about right...i would have one pair done...and i fyou are happy with the work...then you can do more...

you might also call other places...i think it is actually fairly common...even though not everyone does it...:flower:

Strange, when I re-sole my shoes I can pick them up the same day...

softgrey said:
yes aerin....sounds about right...i would have one pair done...and i fyou are happy with the work...then you can do more...

you might also call other places...i think it is actually fairly common...even though not everyone does it...:flower:

Unfortunately, there's only this one shop here in Davis, CA. I brought it there today and they said I could pick it up next Wednesday. :ermm:

Dego, maybe we're just slower here in the States. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->