Raf Simons Exits Calvin Klein *Update* Calvin Klein to Exit Collection Business Entirely

I feel bad for all the people that have been let go of. I wonder if they will sue the company for damages.

Normally those who are let go receive a severance package. There really wouldn't be any ground for suing Calvin Klein, they're cutting costs.

Smugness aside, I feel sorry for Raf, who not only failed to make CK relevant in any way (despite his CFDA awards) but stopped producing ideas for his namesake collection too...
But there was both a creative and a managerial fault at the base: creatively, Raf deliberately ignored the Klein original aesthetic, sleek, modernist, sensual (one that theoretically would have been more in his chords to reinterpret) in favor of the random Americana fantasies with a CK label slapped on top (and I believe you can't build a serious high-end RTW production so easily, even Jil Sander's quality during his tenure was not au-pair with the real Jil's; Raf is no Hedi, from this point of view); managers were incredibly naif in throwing so much money in the business so fast, and then realizing they had made a mistake when it was too late.
Fashion is an extremely fragile object and should no be left in the hands of people who think of think of clothes the same way they think of frozen food.

Normally those who are let go receive a severance package. There really wouldn't be any ground for suing Calvin Klein, they're cutting costs.

Just learned a new word today :D Thanks
Well, people in the US may have this but what about those in Italy ? How will this work ?
Cutting costs because of bad management though

Just learned a new word today :D Thanks
Well, people in the US may have this but what about those in Italy ? How will this work ?
Cutting costs because of bad management though

The company that I work for just last month closed a small office in Milan for this same reason - they decided that the project wasn't bringing enough money, terminated it and had to let the five employees go. To my knowledge, they all got a severance package with a few months' pay and health insurance which should be enough until they find another job. I agree that it's not a good situation, though - being let go because of someone else's under-performance or bad management must be a terrible thing to experience when all you did was do your job.

Marie Gulin-Merle Leaving Calvin Klein and PVH Marketing Roles

Gulin-Merle’s role was to lead PVH’s global digital strategy and transformation across all brands, focusing on driving consumer engagement and leveraging technology.

By Lisa Lockwood on October 3, 2019
marie-gulin-merle.jpg

Marie Gulin-Merle

Marie Gulin-Merle, chief marketing officer of Calvin Klein Inc. and chief digital officer of PVH Corp., is leaving the company.

Gulin-Merle, who reports to Cheryl Abel-Hodges, chief executive officer of Calvin Klein, has been with the company since May 2018. Earlier this year, she added responsibilities as the first-ever chief digital officer of PVH Corp. to lead its digital strategy and transformation across all brands, focusing on driving consumer engagement and leveraging technology.

“It has been very purposeful to serve such a clear and iconic brand and to make its DNA more digital-first and more diverse. It is bittersweet to leave one of the most modern marketing teams in the industry. I am thankful to the PVH teams for their openness to change and ability to constantly challenge any form of status quo,” said Gulin-Merle. She plans to pursue new professional opportunities.

Abel-Hodges told WWD, “Marie led a rapid transformation of Calvin Klein’s marketing team into a digital-first, consumer-centric organization with leading data-driven brand platforms; we thank her for the impact and talent she brought to Calvin Klein. Thanks to her and the team’s efforts, our latest performance in consumer engagement is at an all-time high. The highly capable leaders in place will continue to drive the brand vision and business forward while we conduct a search for a CMO.”

Gulin-Merle’s cmo responsibilities will be handled by the existing leadership team until then.

Prior to joining Calvin Klein, Gulin-Merle was chief marketing officer of L’Oréal USA, where she transformed the company’s marketing functions. Among her achievements were the company’s first digital up-skilling curriculum for marketers, data capabilities, in-house content studio and first-to-market partnerships with major platforms and publishers. Prior to that, she was global head of integrated marketing communications at the brand’s headquarters in Paris from 2010 to 2014, and launched the app, Makeup Genius, which was downloaded more than 20 million times.

Gulin-Merle initiated a marketing group known as InCKubator at Calvin Klein, which Hodges said will move under a design-led initiative. Gulin-Merle had built an internal marketing organization to oversee the brand’s content, ranging from retail store design to Instagram posts. Sources said she hired senior executives from firms such as Adidas, LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, the Estée Lauder Cos. Inc., Ralph Lauren Corp. and Lululemon Athletica Inc.

InCKubator was expected to create four to six initiatives a year aimed at various consumer groups. The projects could include apparel, retail spaces, experiences, collaborations with tech platforms and content. The goal was to produce apparel for sale, at a range of price points and to connect with the culture through these communities. Abel-Hodges said it will launch in 2020. She said no layoffs are planned in the marketing department.

Regarding a new designer, Abel-Hodges said a search is still underway for a creative lead at the company. “I’m talking to lots of people and have nothing to comment at this point,” she said.

Once Raf Simons abruptly left Calvin Klein as chief creative officer in December 2018, Gulin-Merle was charged with creating a high-wattage “halo effect” to drive sales of jeans and underwear, without having the advantage of a high-profile designer or a designer collection. Over the past year, Calvin Klein has shuttered its Manhattan flagship at 654 Madison Avenue, closed its Milan office and exited the luxury business. The company embarked on a new digital-first strategy. One of Gulin-Merle’s campaigns, launched in May, was “I Speak My Truth” in #MyCalvins, which featured such celebrities as Bella Hadid, Shawn Mendes, Billie Eilish and Kendall Jenner. The campaign spotlighted today’s most influential voices telling their own stories in their own words and encouraged others around the globe to do the same. Each individual shared their personal truth through emotional videos.

The focus on digital came to the forefront late last year when Emanuel Chirico, ceo of PVH Corp., revealed poor quarterly results from the Raf Simons experience at Calvin Klein. He said, “Further, we will focus on driving a digital-first approach to the brand. Importantly, marketing is one of the faster levers that we can address. For holiday 2018, we are shifting more of our media spend from halo marketing to more commercial, digital and social media advertising.”

In addition, the company said it planned to update the frequency of its Calvin Klein posts on social platforms like Instagram, and would increasingly use micro influencers and host local activation to drive engagement, particularly with Millennials and Gen Z. The company adopted a “consumer marketing organization” and a digital-first approach, bypassing print magazines. The concept was to accommodate the rapidly changing demands of today’s consumers with highly specialized teams focused on areas including consumer engagement and the shopper experience.

In August, Calvin Klein reported revenues for the quarter decreased 6 percent to $873 million.

WWD

It is sad to see Calvin Klein sink lower and lower, but there is clearly an issue with top management and their vision. They're changing strategies by the hour!

These people are really delusional. Didn't they then try to focus all their efforts on CK Jeans? I don't know anyone who wears Calvin Klein Jeans, let alone would proudly wear their logo.

Seems like there are rumors of Raf Simons going to Prada?

Yes, heard that one too. Gallagher from WSJ tweeted about it yesterday but then deleted the post. (Why do people do that? Lol. Anyone can create a print screen. Embarrassing.)

I can see that move given Miuccia's and Raf's relationship. But it's weird because they have been pushing Miuccia a lot in the past couple of years – I remember the times when their corporate strategy was to keep her very low profile. And recently she's been interviewed everywhere.

Also, I don't think Raf is in a shape to lead the brand. His own brand is a mess, and everything he touched after Jil Sander was a disaster. I think his ego is too big, and I'm sure Lorenzo and his papa won't let him have a lot of control over things.

The more I think about it, the more I get a feeling that this just might be a collaboration or a long-time creative duo? I don't see Miuccia retiring, although I'm sure she hates the state of fashion today.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->