Relocating? ... Housing, Rentals, Apartments, Flats & Roomates

Hi, I'm in London looking for a place - studio, flat share, whatever in general. Please PM me. Thanks.

Me and a friend are currently in Paris looking for a place to live, anything goes as long as it fits 2 persons (larger than 20m2) has a fridge, stove, toilet and shower. Nothing over €900/month CC. We're only staying until the end of December. Please e-mail [email protected] or PM me! Thank you.

Hi everyone!

I'm planning to move to Berlin by February next year. I'll probably be going alone and so I would like to live with roommates, possibly in a collective or just share a flat with some people.

I would really appreciate if you have any tips at all regarding living in Berlin - websites to use, fun collectives, what neighborhoods are good... Anything!

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I'm planning to move to Berlin by February next year. I'll probably be going alone and so I would like to live with roommates, possibly in a collective or just share a flat with some people.

I would really appreciate if you have any tips at all regarding living in Berlin - websites to use, fun collectives, what neighborhoods are good... Anything!

Thanks!

look here: http://www.studenten-wg.de/angebote_lesen.html?preismode=&stadt=Berlin&fuer=Zimmer+in+WG

Hello,

Looking for a double room in London.
If you know anyone who has a spare one please let me know :flower:

Hello everybody! I'm currently looking for a place to stay in Paris starting from the beginning of January to the end of June. Is anyone looking for a roommate, or knows of a (cheap enough) place that's nice to stay? Or any other solution? Everything's welcome! PM me please!

Hi everyone! I am looking for a studio in New York city (Brooklyn, Queens or Staten Island, Manhattan seems to be pricy, would love to live there though), having a budget of approx. 1000$ +/- (no more than 1500$ though, preferably I would like to spend less that that). I am planning to study for a year, and would really appreciate if someone could provide me with any advice and trust-worthy source (like website) where I could find a place for rent, given that I have to make a choice while being outside of the USA and would like to get away without paying some crazy fees to brokers. Oh and obviously I don't have any credit history that is required by some landlords, as far as I can understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! I am looking for a studio in New York city (Brooklyn, Queens or Staten Island, Manhattan seems to be pricy, would love to live there though), having a budget of approx. 1000$ +/- (no more than 1500$ though, preferably I would like to spend less that that). I am planning to study for a year, and would really appreciate if someone could provide me with any advice and trust-worthy source (like website) where I could find a place for rent, given that I have to make a choice while being outside of the USA and would like to get away without paying some crazy fees to brokers. Oh and obviously I don't have any credit history that is required by some landlords, as far as I can understand.

A website i would suggest is http://www.listingsproject.com. They have a weekly newsletter that goes out every wednesday with sublets, rentals, room rentals, live/work spaces, work spaces, even apartment swaps. Craigslist is often recommended, but you have to be super vigilant that you don't fall for a scam. My best advice is to find a place through airbnb (which technically is not illegal as long as someone that lives in the apartment still occupies while you are there), then look for a place from there. Who knows, the person you find though airbnb may be looking for a permanent roommate.

With your budget you should look at upper manhattan (like harlem/washington heights, on up), queens, the bronx, or brooklyn. Staten Island will be a bit of commute, presuming you want to work in the city. Astoria is the new haven because it can be a quicker commute to the city than brooklyn and is fairly cheap, although that is changing. Also, Jersey may be an option...and you'll probably have better luck finding a place in your range. Depending on where you look you could even get a 1 bedroom for that price. I also recommend you check the safety/amenities/access to transportation of neighborhoods before you commit to anything. Yes, you may find a place in your price range, but it may be riddled with crime, nothing aside from bodegas, and 20 blocks to their nearest train station....not a good situation at all.

The biggest issue you will run into is being from another country...or rather what comes (or doesn't) come along with that. I'm saying most people will want you to have a source of income (and proof of it) and of course credit as you mentioned. You will have greater luck in the outer boroughs in less desirable nabes and/or landlord owned buildings because they aren't necessarily as thorough or strict with their requirements. Also, check out nabes with high russian populations as they may be more inclined to rent to as they may understand your situation and view you as less of a risk than someone else.

I also recommend you check out city-data.com for their forums, they have a lot of useful information and a thread for people interested in moving to NYC. I must warn you to take their advice with a grain of salt, some are very condescending and will tell anyone making less than 200k not to move to there. Others may think you are a troll, they tend to be a skeptical bunch...not that I can blame them though. Well that is all I can think of now. If you like I would be happy to answer anymore questions you have.

my brother is looking for a place in vancouver. a flat or a room. any idea where to look?

thercbray thanks a lot for your advice. I have to specify that I am moving to NY for only 12 months as a student to obtain my masters. I don't want to live in the dorms though, as it costs as much as my own little apartment. Bronx and Harlem are out of the question. I am studying on Manhattan and will most likely intern in this area as well, so I would like to live in any safe area that will be up to a quarter of an hour by any public transport away from it.

As for the credit history, I read that it is wanted, but some landlords are ok with you not having it as long as you are ready to pay for 6months - a year in advance.
I checked craiglist and a few other sites but I do not trust them. I would really love to see everything with my own eyes and check everything for legitimacy before moving in and paying a single cent, but I have to find a place by mid-June, since I need to provide American embassy with a proof I have a place to live in while I am in the USA.

I am using various sources to find apartments including the help of my friends' contacts but I need to have as much information as I can. I will check out the sites you recommended to visit. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet rus: This is weird that you plan on living in Queens or Staten Island, but not in Harlem.... which is more convenient regarding the transports. I don't know about Bronx. But Harlem is safe. Brooklyn is now as expensive as the city, but you can try Bushwick (gentrification is going on over here).
If you don't have much money, I would be you I would think of living with roommates - which is easier, too, in your case because you are a foreigner - and it is difficult for a foreigner to find a place to stay.

And for your visa, you can give the address of a friend of yours who lives here, while you're doing the process. that is not a big deal.

The Bronx is safe except for like, Hunts Point. Harlem is fine.

Sweet rus: This is weird that you plan on living in Queens or Staten Island, but not in Harlem.... which is more convenient regarding the transports. I don't know about Bronx. But Harlem is safe. Brooklyn is now as expensive as the city, but you can try Bushwick (gentrification is going on over here).
If you don't have much money, I would be you I would think of living with roommates - which is easier, too, in your case because you are a foreigner - and it is difficult for a foreigner to find a place to stay.

And for your visa, you can give the address of a friend of yours who lives here, while you're doing the process. that is not a big deal.

The Bronx is safe except for like, Hunts Point. Harlem is fine.

It might be some kind of prejudice, but better safe than sorry. From what I heard and read about Bronx and Harlem I do want to live there :angel:. I don't mind taking a subway or a bus at all, that's what I do here all the time and I am ok with it.
If I can't find any apartment, I will try to find a rommate but I definitely want to live on my own.
The thing is that I do not have a friend living in NY, it's a friend's friend's good friend kind of situation:mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"