Rick Genest

EnVogueLove

Reaction score

He is signed with Why Not model agency. I think that he is really wierd, but interesting.

Rick Genest (born August 7, 1985) is a Canadian artist and fashion model born in Montreal. He is also known as Zombie Boy for being tattooed like a corpse across the majority of his body.

Genest grew up in Châteauguay, a suburb of Montreal. According to his mother he waited, out of respect for her and his father, to get his first tattoo until reaching the age of 16.[1] He then left home at 17 after graduating from high school, but it was not until the age of 21 that he would first come to Montreal tattoo artist Frank Lewis, since then responsible for inking the majority the designs on his body, which they create together.[1] This has taken over three years, Genest spending thousands of dollars on the artwork, conceived by him to be "about the human body as a decomposing corpse – the art of a rotting cadaver.", and "also a tribute to horror movies", a favourite genre of his.[1] He would become popular in Montreal's "underground scene", but struggled for money and eventually found himself homeless.

On March 5, 2010, A Facebook fan page was created about Rick's unusual choice of tattoos. This page reached 1,526,224 members (as of March 25, 2011) and ultimately led to his discovery by Lady Gaga's Fashion Director Nicola Formichetti.[2]

On January 19, 2011, Rick was featured in the new MUGLER Autumn/Winter mens collection, headlining the collection on the brand's website, after his discovery by Creative Director Nicola Formichetti.[3][4][5][6] In fact it was Genest's discovery by Formichetti and then Gaga's urging which actually resulted in the menswear show, something not originally planned.[7] His discovery also influenced Formichetti on the collection itself.[7]The show was accompanied by a video featuring Genest shot by fashion photographer Mariano Vivanco.[4] He later featured alongside Lady Gaga in the fashion show for the women's 2011 Autumn/Winter line.[8]

On February 27, 2011, Rick was featured in Lady Gaga's video for "Born This Way", with Lady Gaga wearing makeup to replicate Genest's tattoos.[9]

Genest can be seen styled in MUGLER by Formichetti and shot by Mariano Vivanco in the sixth volume of Vogue Hommes Japan, the editorial being titled "Hard To Be Passive".[10][11] In the Spring/Summer issue of GQ Style (UK) Formichetti and he are interviewed, with Genest shot in MUGLER by Karim Sadli for the editorial.
facebook/Rick Genest fan page

Mugler F/W 11.12 : Rick Genest by Mariano Vivanco

nicolaformichetti

Flashbang thank you so much for posting. I will try to find shows that he walked later, if nobody else do it sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's so sexy.
105b.gif

coacd

ok, i must have been oblivious to the fact that he is zombiefied himself. i just thought it was for the campaign and it was makeup.
:blink:

I think Rick's career is short-lived. He needs to enjoy it while he's got it.

Professional model Christina DeHart, who runs ExploreModeling.com, a website that helps young models and their parents navigate the modeling industry, says Genest's look, while unique, may have a limited shelf life.

"The fashion industry loves things that are unique, and Rick Genest definitely is uncommon," DeHart said. "As far as long-term modeling success, I am not so sure about his opportunities there.

"When modeling, you are asked to take on a new character or vision for each designer. The model tells the designer's story. Rick Genest is already a complete statement without a lot of room for another's vision. Not to say that he won't ride a wave after Thierry Mugler. I just don't see a longstanding career."

Bruce Lemler, a former model and booker at top New York City modeling agencies who now does photography, is slightly less diplomatic.

"Genest was used by Thierry Mugler because, to put it bluntly, he's a freak," Lemler said.

"Being a freak got him to Lady Gaga and Mugler, but he's their freak. He's been used."

Lemler figures anyone else who wants "a freak" wants their own freak, associated only with their brand.

"After this, he's old news," Lemler said. "He may get campaigns for B-level clients, acting as parasites on his current fame as a freak, but that type of fame dies quickly."

Lemler says Genest could theoretically be a decent model if he covered up the ink, but he says the cost of a good makeup artist -- or even a good Photoshopper -- is "an unnecessary expense when models as good as, or better-looking, than Genest are available."

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut...

On the other hand, celebrity photographer Mike Ruiz sees Genest as an outlier for future fashion models.

"In Genest, we are seeing a new generation of cutting-edge models whose confidence and intrinsic artistry raises the bar for the entire industry," Ruiz said. "He's here for the long haul."

aolnews.com

this dude scares the crap out of me (after i realized that he is really tattooed like a corpse, and that wasn't makeup in the first post)

...but there's something about him that keeps me intrigued.

Wonder how he look before all the tattoos? I dig his look though.

(^ not to mention cash...)

Ha! thanks for starting his thread! :woot: I've always been in awe of his tattoos, I still can't believe he's suddenly a fashion trend!

0zombie21.jpg

bme

Here's a pic of his face when he was just starting the tattoo:

bme

Yeah I don't see him having much staying power and the niche will be very limited which sucks beyond the tattoos I can tell he's got very strong features.

He could become very high fashion imo, if people stop knowing him just because of Lady Gaga. He needs to go away from her and her music videos.

Show Package – Milan S/S 12

049_Rico_Genest.jpg

models.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artstylesoul62
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->