Thierry Mugler Mens Paris F/W 11.12

What do you think of Nicola Formichetti's debut collection?

• Impressive, it lived up to the hype!

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Disappointing, I expected more

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • Impressive, it lived up to the hype!

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Disappointing, I expected more

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters
By the looks off it, it'll be a hit or miss for me. Those orange outfits.... looks horrid. Maybe they'll look better on photos.

And ugh, I wished the audio would be better. Is that the Gaga track they were talking about? I barely can understand what she's saying.

there's video by ASVOF screened on the background. it was weaked, don't know how to think... but yes the orange outfits are kinda weird there.

i hope that the collections by formichetti don't remain dark & goth-inspired; nothing is worse than a label that becomes a design one-note. all the hype surrounding the label needs to be utilized correctly as well as creatively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5yHD3BExJ8
thanks to JeremyDante :smile:

But idk, I think there's a certain darkness.. maybe not technically goth but a particular darkness about Mugler that needs to be ingrained in every collection. I think if there's not it won't really stay with the DNA of the house... like if Pugh all of a sudden started doing t-shirts and skinny jeans a la D&G this season... it would betray his aesthetic so I'm not really worried about it staying "goth" per se but I just hope that whatever the chose aesthetic is still manages to provoke and encourage analytical thought about certain subjects including what exactly is beauty.... rambling I know but it's what I do

Last edited by a moderator:
i hope that the collections by formichetti don't remain dark & goth-inspired; nothing is worse than a label that becomes a design one-note. all the hype surrounding the label needs to be utilized correctly as well as creatively.

Have you ever heard of Balmain?:lol: Well, I don't think that this is particularly gothic-inspired, since it's just dark clothes with creepy make-up and a dark setting and the I'd rather say it's punk-inspired which is a huge difference. If you wanted to see a proper gothic-inspired collection, you should take a look at Riccardo Tisci Fall 2005.

Have you ever heard of Balmain?:lol: Well, I don't think that this is particularly gothic-inspired, since it's just dark clothes with creepy make-up and a dark setting and the I'd rather say it's punk-inspired which is a huge difference. If you wanted to see a proper gothic-inspired collection, you should take a look at Riccardo Tisci Fall 2005.

very true. valid point.
laughing out loud, literally at the balmain reference. :lol:

Romain Kremer is a very talented designer.
wanna see more....looks promising.

Screen_shot_2011_01_19_at_3_14_54_PM.png
[/url]

mugler.com

it says at 6pm tomrrow a video with gaga featuring the new designs will come on the website.

i'm just happy kremer came out at the end. he's the real designer and the creative director is just a glorified stylist. anyways, the whole collection looks kind of dated but it doesn't suck. the fabric then plastic over the head looked cheap. finale "look" was.. interesting.

Got a bit of everything in this collection...McQueen to Givenchy.

I like it overall...nothing new!

After looking at all the images I am really pleased with the pieces. I think there's eccentric styling and that will turn people off but I think when the pieces are examined they are divine.
I don't think there's a blazer or a jacket in the bunch i wouldn't want, the orange waist coat... to die for... but more importantly, that orange TROUSER!! UGH! Almost sent me into convulsions like Raf Simmons last season.
I am interested in seeing detail of the shoes though... they don't look normal to me.

I would expect a little more edgier design than what I saw here. Overall, nothing too exciting.

hmm not sure how i feel about this
the fabrics look off? they look like fabrics you find at the market

and beyond all the gimmicks, it's not very exciting designwise..hm

i honestly don't get why they hired romain kremer to do this.. never was very impressed with his own line to be honest.. there are much more talented people out there

overall, the designs are actually very restrained. i was expecting something totally avant garde but this is very wearable & the concepts are very creative. love the contrasts of orange & cannot wait to see next season or the campaign for this collection, not to mention upcoming features nicola will be putting in vogue hommes japan. major moves for the house of mugler. i wish formichetti, as well as peigné & kremer. great work. my review is up.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about the gimmicks. There's probably as much "gimmicks" going on here as let's say... collections done by McQueen, Galliano, or Gareth Pugh.

Anywho, after taking a second look, the collection is growing on me. Still not entirely sold on the orange outfits. The overall tailoring of the pieces are great.

Also, I think we need to realize this is the first collection by the design team for Mugler. We'll probably see more eccentric original designs in the next few seasons.

This is going to be a tough nut to crack, especially since Mugler's work has inspired and underlined some of the best work from some of the best designers of our times. A lot of this stuff seems first sketch, maybe second sketch to me; I give benefit of doubt only because of Kremer, he's got the chops, the right spirit for it, if not the tailoring skills. I wonder if we're past all of this though, the dark and gloomy sort of feels old hat. Are there other ways to express this ...angst? Where's the sense of humor?

once you check the collection, its not bad at all ...
its true its very givenchy meets mcqueen, but the kremer techno vibe is there and thats cool ... i like the gloves with the fluo thumbs

afterall, i wish kremer was more quoted than formichetti - since its definitely a kremer + fomichetti work.

but theres too much gimmick, way too much.

and seriously what is going on with those butcher outfits for seasons, now ??? i just dont get it ... at mcqueen some seasons ago, i saw some at dsquared ... i just dont get it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dezzar
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->