Roland Mouret and Simon Fuller Create Fashion Force, 19RM

pasfoti

Reaction score
LONDON - Roland Mouret has joined forces with British entertainment guru Simon Fuller, the man behind Pop Idol and the Spice Girls, to form a new fashion company called 19RM.

The London-based company is a 50-50 joint venture that will create clothing designs and embark on a wide variety of fashion-related projects.

19RM will be part of Fuller’s 19 Entertainment, the global media organization.

“The world is our oyster. We have no limits, and we’ll be looking at fashion from a new angle,” Mouret told WWD before the official announcement at Nobu Berkeley here.

wwd

thanks siesta...

:flower:

*nice to know that roland's found a place for himself...
looking forward to whatever they will come up with...

simon fuller?...kinda strange....
but hey- if he's got the money ...

a little more from vogue.co.uk:

BREAKING NEWS: ROLAND MOURET'S ANNOUNCEMENT
spacer.gif
ROLAND MOURET invited select press and all his favourite fashion people to a lunch at Nobu Berkeley today to announce at last what he's been keeping a strict secret since walking out of his company last year. "I'm happy to announce that I have collaborated with Simon Fuller" said the rather overwhelmed designer, in the gorgeous French-accented drawl we all so love. Mouret and talent agent Fuller, responsible for the careers of the likes of Annie Lennox and The Spice Girls and for creating Pop Idol, own 50 per cent of the new company - to be known as '19 RM' - each, and its first projects are expected to be announced over the next few weeks. "I have a passionate belief in talent and creators", said Fuller, "I hope that this combination of Roland as a creator and me as an entrepreneur will be a wonderful partnership." Roland later elaborated: "This is an incredibly exciting opportunity for me. Simon has allowed me the creative freedom to build a new vision of a fashion business and one that is relevant for today and for the future. His confidence in me as a creative spirit is outstanding and very inspiring and his business knowledge allows me to look at fashion, not just from the catwalk, but from any direction. Watch this space!" (September 5 2006, PM)

softgrey said:
*nice to know that roland's found a place for himself...
looking forward to whatever they will come up with...

Yes- me too. Roland's too talented to be NOT designing something, somewhere

that is great news!
sounds like he's got a strong backer. I'm looking forward to the new shows!

Roland Mouret links with Simon Fuller

090606_9.jpg

Fuller & Mouret

pretty 'scary' news for monsieur M...
LONDON — "American Idol" founder Simon Fuller hopes he's found his next big hit in Roland Mouret.

Mouret and Fuller — who also nurtured the David and Victoria Beckham brand and propelled the Spice Girls to fame — have formed a new fashion company called RM19.

The London-based company is a 50-50 joint venture and will be a division of 19 Entertainment Ltd., the media and branded entertainment firm founded by Fuller. CKX Inc., a public company listed on Nasdaq, now owns 19 Entertainment.

Mouret and Fuller plan to open an RM19 studio south of the Thames, near London Bridge, and their first project is a clothing collection, the details of which will be revealed over the next few weeks. Mouret added he could be back "on high heels" on the runway as early as next year, and that a team of graphic designers was already working on an RM19 logo that will also bow next year.

But the partners don't want to stop with clothing. In an interview Tuesday, Mouret said RM19 would embark on a variety of fashion-related projects. However, he declined to divulge any details.

"The world is our oyster. We have no limits, and we'll be looking at fashion from a new angle," said Mouret. "The landscape of fashion has changed so much — just look at what the High Street stores are doing — so we want to bring something else to the customer. We want to offer our customers a journey, fashion for the 21st century."

Mouret said RM19 would be the umbrella brand for a variety of projects that will be distributed through different channels, which could range from the brand's retail stores to the Internet to High

Street.

"There are so many possibilities and media outlets — this is the world we're living in. For example, over the last six months, I was approached to do extremely different things: I had three different offers for book deals."

Fuller told WWD that Mouret was an "extraordinary" designer. "He has such a remarkable understanding of the contradictions of popular modern culture that I related to him instantly. We both want to innovate and challenge the norm," he said.
"To me, Roland is an artist and great talent, just like one of my multimillion-selling songwriters or recording artists or inspirational sports stars or award-winning script writers or producers. If I can inspire and facilitate Roland in the same way, there will be no limit to what he can achieve."

Fuller, whose estimated wealth is 300 million pounds, or $570 million, according to the latest Sunday Times of London's Rich List, added he was keen to break into the fashion industry.

"Fashion is the final piece of my 19 [Entertainment] jigsaw. It is the glue that brings everything together, the glamour that makes the soccer player an individual, the movie star a sex symbol and the musician a trendsetter and idol."

And Fuller said he was fully aware of the perils of the fashion industry. "I have been dealing with these extreme contradictions my whole career. Music is equally tenuous — number one in the charts one year and without a record deal the next. I know how to come back when you have taken a knock or been written off," he said.

Joan Burstein, founder and owner of the London retailer Browns, which carried Mouret's previous collections, said of the new partnership: "Wow! Simon is offering Roland creative freedom and that must be very exciting. If they can pull it off — and not have to worry about the bottom line — then I think it will be so much fun for the industry. Who knows what they'll come up with?"

Mouret said Fuller approached him not long after he quit Roland Mouret Design Ltd. last spring. A few months before, Mouret and his backers Sharai and Andre Meyers had announced they were parting ways due to differences in strategic direction.

While the split appeared to be amicable, it was clear the partners' differences were irreconcilable. The Meyers still own Mouret's name, and in April they put up for sale a 10-year license to produce merchandise under the brand. As part of that package, potential buyers would also have access to the Roland Mouret archives, patterns and samples from 2002 through fall 2006, which was the last collection designed by Mouret.

extracts from a wwd article of today

Mouret said RM19 would be the umbrella brand for a variety of projects that will be distributed through different channels, which could range from the brand's retail stores to the Internet to High Street.
hmm...I'm very curious...but also a bit fearful...I hope this venture wont disappoint.

i dont trust mr Fuller, he hasnt got a clue how a fashion house should work, he should stick with managing girl bands (spice girls) and reality shows (american idol)

he's also responsible for re-launching Victoria's career.. there is a huge difference between managing VBeckham's and RMouret's fashion future..

I'm with you Lena. This first of all, seems too big too soon. Why create an umbrella group for something that hasn't even started yet? It's like creating a shell with no filler. I'm curious, but this all seems quite vague. There is nothing concrete in there.

I third that Lena - the mention of Simon Fuller's name brings up cringeful associations with cheesy pop groups, not with talented fashion designers such as Roland Mouret.

I don't really get the craze about Roland Mouret - he certainly isn't a bad designer, but I think he is growing into a so-called superstar status by far too fast.

He has had his moment with certain starlets wearing his gowns on the red carpet (I happen to think the two that were his signature were just as awful as anything Azzaro) but aside, people happen to forget that he is not around any longer than people like Sophia Kokosalaki who herself has slowly and carefully carved her niche. Maybe it's just another sad case in which you can grow too big too fast if you get your PR done well.

tricotineacetat said:
I don't really get the craze about Roland Mouret - he certainly isn't a bad designer, but I think he is growing into a so-called superstar status by far too fast.

He has had his moment with certain starlets wearing his gowns on the red carpet (I happen to think the two that were his signature were just as awful as anything Azzaro) but aside, people happen to forget that he is not around any longer than people like Sophia Kokosalaki who herself has slowly and carefully carved her niche. Maybe it's just another sad case in which you can grow too big too fast if you get your PR done well.

But that is always this thing going though .. in this case if you do have a good PR...but still I don't think he will have a superstar status

great to see him back! can't wait to see the first results of this...

Yeah, like, he started by making some perfectly acceptable draped dresses (because he couldn't make a proper pattern) and then had a steady two seasons ripping off vintage Westwood and then left his own company. Good for him, and such, but I'm really failing to see how he's anything to get that excited over.

Mouret said RM19 would be the umbrella brand for a variety of projects that will be distributed through different channels, which could range from the brand's retail stores to the Internet to High Street.

High Street was the collection he made for GAP I guess?
whats next ? anybody know ?

Mouret Returns to Runway

LONDON - Designer Roland Mouret will return to the catwalk in July with a high-end, tailored clothing collection to debut during the Paris couture shows.

The collection will be called RM by the designer Roland Mouret, and is Mouret’s first project under the 19RM, which he formed last fall with entertainment mogul Simon Fuller.

The new collection will be based around the designer’s signature draping techniques, and be priced alongside Lanvin, Balenciaga and Chanel.

WWD

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm, higher price points it seems. I don't know. I'm not sure i want Mouret at this high of a pricepoint. Interesting. Thanks for the info loveletter

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnyboy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->