Romeo Gigli Menswear In Trouble

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
As promised Romeo Gigli's sad news update :cry:

Gigli Sues IT Holding for $54.2M

By Luisa Zargani

MILAN — Romeo Gigli is no stranger to courthouse feuds and, in the latest, the designer has filed a suit against clothing group IT Holding, Prandina SpA, Gigli’s licensee, and its chief executive officer, Italian entrepreneur Pierluigi Mancinelli.

Gigli’s much-publicized suit against his former partners, Donato Maino and :blink: Carla Sozzani, made headlines here in the early Nineties. In the latest case, the designer is claiming that IT Holding, which previously owned his namesake business, owes him $54.2 million, or 45 million euros at current exchange rates, as a reimbursement for royalties and consultancy fees.

IT Holding’s chairman and ceo Tonino Perna sold Gigli’s business to the Luxembourg-based company Euroholding four months ago. Euroholding licensed the Gigli line to men’s wear production company Prandina SpA, but following this transaction, Gigli was no longer involved in its design. A spokesman for IT Holding said the group was “unfazed and serene. We believe we did not go beyond what the contract allowed us.”
He added, “We believe [Romeo Gigli’s] requests are unfounded.”
Gigli was not reachable for comment.

In a telephone interview, Mancinelli confirmed Gigli’s legal action against Prandina and himself. “Gigli has asked us to suspend production and distribution of the Romeo Gigli brand, but although he claims intellectual ownership [of the brand], the designer has no longer any rights over his namesake label,” said Mancinelli, who also said he was “surprised” by this move. “Mr. Perna invested a lot in the [Gigli] brand and the designer had the opportunity to relaunch it — this move damages what was once a good relationship.”

The first men’s collection produced by Prandina bowed for spring-summer 2005. Mancinelli said he is fine-tuning the agreement with a manufacturing company for the production of the women’s collection, which is slated to debut in Milan during the women’s runway shows at the end of September. Both will be tagged Romeo Gigli Milano and both are designed by a team.
Last April, Perna said the sale of Gigli’s business was “consistent with IT Holding’s focus on strategic businesses with high potential.” The group owns the Gianfranco Ferré and Malo labels, among others, and holds licenses for D&G, Versus and Just Cavalli.

IT Holding retains Gigli’s 10-year licenses for eyewear, timepieces and fragrances without any royalty payments. It has the option to renew those licenses for another 10 years.

from wwd :flower:

interesting...those italian brands and their court cases....it never ends does it?

big fat mess, to be seriously avoided

Carla Sozanni, doesn't she work for Italian Vogue now?

i think Carla is the Corso Como 10 owner and Franca is the Vogue Italia director , i always mix them up but this time i hope i got them right, i adore both the beautiful Sozanni sisters

gigli womenswear to re-launch...without gigli???...

i don't like the sound of that... :shock:

he was one of my heros in the eighties...we did a huge exhibit of his work at FIT when i was a student and i have been a devoted fan ever since... poor guy...i feel like he was dries van noten's predecessor...

lena...i always mix up the sozzanis too...i think you're right though...

That is terrible. You have to be careful. These vultures will leave you nothing in order
to make a dollar or euro. A lesson that many never seem to learn going into these agreements.

i have so many friends that have lost the right of using their own name.. its very common really, attention young designers, backers are dangerous animals

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
regbijs123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->