What's Next in John Galliano's Career?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds intriguing to say the least! When he sasys $1m spectacle does he mean a fashion show?

The whole interview in one video. Emotional is the word to describe it.

Oscar de la Renta, John Galliano Explore Role at House
By Rosemary Feitelberg
August 8, 2013

NEW YORK Oscar de la Renta isn’t giving up on John Galliano.

The designer is said to be in talks with de la Renta about a more permanent position at the American fashion house. This follows de la Renta’s decision in January to name Galliano as a “designer in residence” for three weeks in his New York studio, which set off a storm of criticism in the media and the fashion world despite being supported by the Anti-Defamation League.

Nearly two-and-a-half years have past since the scandal of Galliano being dismissed from Christian Dior.

Now de la Renta appears to be as steadfast as ever about giving Galliano a second chance. In a statement issued Wednesday, Oscar de la Renta Inc. chief executive officer Alex Bolen said, “As we have said before, we are deeply impressed with John’s talent and would love to find a way to work with him in the future. To date, we have not found that way.”

Galliano’s spokeswoman, Liz Rosenberg, deferred comment to the de la Renta camp, saying Galliano was away on vacation.

In January, while discussing his decision to welcome Galliano, de la Renta squelched any thoughts of a budding succession plan. “Am I retiring? Is John going to replace me?” he posed, unsolicited. “Certainly not. I hope to be around for a long time.”

The designer has repeatedly defended Galliano in public in the past few months and remains ones of his strongest supporters, along with Jonathan Newhouse, chairman and chief executive officer of Condé Nast International, and Anna Wintour, editor in chief of Vogue and Condé Nast artistic director. “I strongly feel, regardless of what he did, that everyone in life does deserve a second chance, and I am happy that I was able to give John a second chance.…It would be a shame if the industry was deprived of such a talent,” de la Renta told Fern Mallis at a 92Y Q&A in June.

Earlier this year, WWD asked de la Renta if Galliano would be back for spring 2014. He said, “We all loved having John here in the studio and would like to find a way of having him here more often.”

He also spoke — equally cryptically — about succession plans for his company, which includes a $250 million licensing business run by his stepdaughter, Eliza Bolen. “For a long time, I have always worried about what will happen to the brand when I am no longer here, so I plan to be here for a very, very long time. But having my family involved in the business, now I know there is continuity. To be clear, my only fear that I have every morning is, ‘When are they going to fire me?’” de la Renta said.

Unlikely as that is, Oscar de la Renta Inc. quietly sold a 20 percent stake in the company to GF Capital Management & Advisors in the summer of 2010 to provide additional financing to launch its own beauty business and expand retail.

At the designer’s February runway show, Galliano stayed backstage when de la Renta took his final bow. Out front, Valentino Garavani, Giancarlo Giammetti, Diane von Furstenberg, Barry Diller and Mario Testino lent their moral support from the front row. WWD described the collection as “a tale of two designers, it had mystery, suspense, harmony, beauty, optimism — and some truly great clothes.”

At that time, de la Renta said of his designer in residence, “I work with people. I don’t work by myself. It’s so wonderful to have somebody with an eye. He’ll show me something and we talk about it.” As for where their relationship was headed, de la Renta would only say, “We have a great love affair.”

In recent months, Galliano has been trying to do some major media damage control with extensive interviews in Vanity Fair and on “Charlie Rose.” The interviews came in the wake of the media frenzy that was set off in February. At that time, the designer was blasted by the New York Post after being photographed en route to de la Renta’s studio runway show in what the newspaper described as Hasidic-like clothing. Galliano’s spokeswoman Rosenberg vehemently denied the accusation, telling WWD, “As you well know, John has worn big hats and long coats for many, many years. He indeed has long curly hair, and I can understand people/the N.Y. Post misinterpreting his look at the show. But I can assure you there was no intent to dress in a Hasidic style, to present himself as an homage to the Hasidic community or to insult the Jewish culture or pay tribute to people in 17th-century Poland on John’s part — consciously or unconsciously. The last thing on John’s mind would be to do anything that would offend the Jewish community.”

The ADL’s national director, Abraham H. Foxman, also came to his defense noting, “Hasidim do not wear fedora hats, pinstripe pants, blue jackets or an ascot tie.”
wwd.com

continued...

In the following months, the road to Galliano’s return to fashion became even bumpier. In May, Parsons The New School for Design nixed its “Show Me Emotion” master class that was to be led by the designer. That decision was made after hundreds signed an online petition that was posted anonymously on Change.org. But Parsons’ statement downplayed that the public outcry was a factor. “An important element of the planned workshop with John Galliano was a candid conversation about the connection between his professional work and his actions in the world at large,” it stated. “Unfortunately, we could not reach consensus with Mr. Galliano on the conditions of this conversation, and the program could not move forward.”

Earlier this year, there was speculation that Galliano would be taking a teaching job at his alma mater, Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London, but the college denied that.

Apparently the British actor and playwright Stephen Fry is also willing to look past Galliano’s transgressions. The designer is said to be creating the costumes for Fry’s 2014 production of Oscar Wilde’s “The Importance of Being Earnest.” A spokeswoman for Fry’s agent said Wednesday that “it is too soon to talk about the project,” which will make its debut next fall at the Theatre Royal in London.

As part of his public reform, Galliano spoke with Rose at length about his blackout drinking, ongoing recovery and the “designer in residence” stint. (De la Renta had a hand in suggesting the Rose interview.) “The collection was quite under way. At first, I was — I just couldn’t, because I hadn’t been in the studio for two years. So, I ran to the bathroom and threw myself on my knees and then I came outside and I went into the workroom and introduced myself to all those lovely ladies — the tailors and the seamstresses in their white coats. And then it was fine. My shoulders kind of relaxed,” he said.

Asked about criticism that his alcoholism had lowered the quality of his collections at Christian Dior, Galliano said, “The sales were still good. In my mind, I could always do much better. And especially now, in my lucid state, yes, I mean, of course it could be much, much better. I was doing what I felt was right for the two houses,” Galliano said, referring to Dior as well as his namesake label.

As for whether he might one day be trusted again with a fashion label, he told Rose, “I really don’t know the answer to that. I mean, I’m able to create. I’m ready to create. I’m feeling fit. I’m feeling good. It really all depends on these steps I’m taking. And I mean, I hope that through my atonement that I’ll be given a second chance.

He said of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton’s Bernard Arnault and Christian Dior’s Sidney Toledano, “I did try to reach out to them but my calls were not accepted. And quite recently I tried to reach out as well, but the message I got was that perhaps it was too early.”

The designer remains in a legal dispute with LVMH about his terminated contract.

In the Vanity Fair article, Galliano told writer Ingrid Sischy how the two men told him he was going to die if he didn’t do something about his problem. In response, Galliano tore off his shirt to show off a gym-chiseled torso and asked, “Does this look like the body of an alcoholic?”

He was considerably more direct with Sischy in talking about his addictions, telling her, “I was going to end up in a mental asylum or six feet under.”

Galliano also mentioned how Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista rallied around him. “Creating Kate’s wedding dress saved me personally because it was my creative rehab. She dared me to be me again,” he said.

Sischy noted how Galliano had been “taking certain steps to atone, including reading books on the Holocaust and Jewish history, meeting with Jewish leaders and reaching out to members of the larger fashion community, including retailers, as part of the process of making amends and possibly returning to work.” Two years into his sobriety and struggling to come to terms with his words and actions, Galliano said that he knows “it sounds a bit bizarre, but I am so grateful for what did happen. I have learned so much about myself. I have rediscovered that little boy who had the hunger to create, which I think I had lost. I am alive.”
wwd.com

There is a lot of gossip lately about his comeback .. there was something mentioned in fashin recently.

Im looking forward to his comeback!

It would be foolish if de la Renta decided to finish working with Galliano at this stage, he is clearly blossoming and finding himself again and I hope to see great things come out of this ^_^

It would be foolish if de la Renta decided to finish working with Galliano at this stage, he is clearly blossoming and finding himself again and I hope to see great things come out of this ^_^

I just don't want Galliano to be at this brand. I feel like OdlR is like the American Givenchy. I just don't think this is the best brand for him to flourish.

cpp-luxury.com via Spiral1532

May I ask where did you hear this? This would be the ultimate for me as I've always been a Ferre fan. I especially loved Ferre's work for Dior. He was amazing as well as Galliano. Galliano taking over the house of Ferre would revitalize the fashion industry with creativity and the glamour that it so badly needs In my humble opinion.

Why Fashion Still Needs Galliano 11 september 2013
JOHN GALLIANO is sorely missed by the fashion industry, legendary founder of Browns, Joan Burstein said today. Mrs B has joined the cries of industry luminaries for the former Christian Dior designer to return.

"The industry does need him back," Burstein said. "It's not been the same since he's been exiled… He epitomises the escapist fantasy that fashion is all about. And it's that we need so desperately. I'd welcome him back to Browns with open arms and I think others should too."

Burstein also reminisced about her favourite memory of Galliano - other than his show debut - that she felt typified his nature.

"My other most cherished memory is when he travelled to London for the first time on the Eurostar," she wrote for Stylist magazine. "'I couldn't believe it,' he told me. 'We were in a tunnel, we came out and we were in England! It was amazing!' That's how he was - wonderfully naïve with a beautiful capacity for wonderment. That person still remains. And if we have to do without him for much longer, it would be a real tragedy."
vogue.co.uk

Curious what he is doing at the moment.

Curious what he is doing at the moment.

In the last statement that John's publicist made, she mentioned that he was away on vacation. And he was spotted at the dinner for Franca Sozzani's 25 years at Vogue Italia, during Paris fashion week. So by the looks of it, he seems to be to making the most of his downtime right now. Also, if you follow his partner on Instagram or Twitter, it would seem as though they are both very much still aware of what is happening in fashion, too.

I really don't see Galliano making any major moves until things are settled in his case against Dior. Things of this nature often bring to light the sordid details of stuff done behind closed doors. I would think the uncertainty of what will happen with that is enough to still make him a liability to future employers.

Paris, September 29, 2013:

vogue.co.uk

^Thank you, so we will have to wait how his lawsuit finishes. Court date: October 24.

Galliano, Dior Case Inches Forward
By Joelle Diderich
October 24, 2013
PARIS — John Galliano is only marginally closer to resolving the labor case pitting him against his former employers, Christian Dior Couture and John Galliano SA.

The Paris Court of Appeals said it would rule on Nov. 28 on a technical issue that will determine which court will hear the merits of the case at a later date.

At a hearing on Thursday, lawyers for both parties reiterated the arguments they set out in front of the Conseil de prud’hommes, or Labor Relations Court, in February, which prompted that court to rule that it was qualified to consider Galliano’s claims against his former employers. Dior opposed that decision, sending the case to the Court of Appeals and further delaying what is bound to be a protracted procedure in a cluttered legal jurisdiction.

As reported, Galliano’s lawyer, Chantal Giraud-van Gaver of Coblence & Associés, argued that Galliano was a salaried employee, while Dior maintained that the British fashion maverick was more an independent contractor.

The designer was dismissed in March 2011 after 15 years as the couturier at Dior, following a series of public outbursts during which he uttered racist and anti-Semitic insults in a Paris café. He was also ousted from the fashion house that bears his name.

At his trial on charges of public insult in June 2011, Galliano blamed work-related stress and multiple addictions for his behavior.

On Thursday, the court heard that Galliano earned at least 3.7 million euros, or $5.1 million at current exchange rates, a year plus benefits as the creative director of the Dior and Galliano brands. It is understood he is seeking compensation in the range of 6 million euros, or $8.3 million, for his dismissal.

Giraud-van Gaver said she would argue that Christian Dior Couture failed to meet its obligations under French labor law by not submitting Galliano to a medical test when it established its employment contract with him in 2008, after 12 years of contracting his services through his company, Cheyenne Freedom.

“Galliano was an addict. Everybody knew it and no one did anything about it,” she told the Court of Appeals. “There was no medical visit either at the time he was hired, and no annual or biannual check-ups after that.”

Jean Néret of Jeantet Associés, the lawyer for Christian Dior Couture and John Galliano SA, told the court that Christian Dior Couture agreed in a letter dated Sept. 26, 2008, to grant Galliano an open-ended contract as artistic director of Dior, but that Galliano never signed the proposed contract.
wwd.com

^ It would definitely be a new aesthetic for John :wink: Would you like to suggest Marc Jacobs next? :mrgreen:

Kate Moss has brought disgraced fashion designer John Galliano back in from the cold in a bid to get him back in Vogue
By Andrei Harmsworth
October 29, 2013

The supermodel happily posed with the axed Dior designer in the fashion bible as he tries to resurrect his shattered career following his drunken anti-Semitic tirade outside a Parisian bar in 2011.

In the 1920s inspired shoot, the 39-year-old clothes horse dons a fur coat and smoulders alongside the British fashion designer.

Galliano, 52, was gifted the olive branch after Moss took up a role as contributing fashion editor at the magazine.

The designer appeared stunned to receive the invite, writing in the magazine: ‘How they tracked me down here with my dog Gypsy, I’ll never know.’

Bidding to turn the attention back to his fashion prowess, he explained his vision for the scenes with Moss.

‘The scene is set. I lean into Kate’s ear. “Can you keep a secret?” She is charged, the berry stains on her perfect mouth and like a butterfly she alights and hovers into the perfect position, feeling and finding her light,’ he wrote.

‘I am now feeling so much love in this studio that it takes me back. Her only script is the dress she’s wearing.’

Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman insists Galliano is still a top talent and a ‘passionate brain’.

‘When I asked John to write a few words to describe his concept for the shoot, I didn’t expected such a vivid picture to arrive,’ she said.

The designer was fined £15,000 for his Parisian outburst and carted himself off to rehab after the diatribe was caught on camera. He later admitted he was fighting a battle with the bottle and substance abuse.

‘It’s the worst thing I have said in my life, but I didn’t mean it,’ he said after he professed a love of Hitler during the volley of abuse.

The tormented fashion boss later said dealing with the fall out saved him from death as it forced him to address his issues.

‘I was going to end up in a mental asylum or six feet under,’ he explained. ‘it sounds a bit bizarre, but I am so grateful for what did happen. I have learned so much about myself.

‘I have re-discovered that little boy who had the hunger to create, which I think I had lost. I am alive.’
metro.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinribs98
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->