Rounding Up A Decade: Models In The Zeroes

This decade has seen the prevalence of Brazilian and Eastern European beauties ruling the runways. From the more popular VS models to the less but incredibly raved doll beauties of the fashion industry. There are many posts here already which mention their names so I am one with them.

It appears though that unlike decades past during the supermodels era, few and fewer models have gone mainstream and became household names. Whether this is a favorable event or not is up for one to decide. Only I daresay Gisele and Kate Moss have become celebrities in their own right.

For the next decade I hope the Asian beauties become in trend too. It's about time.

Lara Stone is just now getting attention, so I don't really think she would be the definition of the model of the 2000's. It was only a few seasons ago that people bashed her for her awkward walk and how they thought she tried to hard to be badass. Which makes me wonder why everyone is all of a sudden in love with her.

Lara is getting attention since at least 2007 (not counting an appearance in iD in 2006) ... Which is already 3 yrs !!

And I don't understand how Gisele can represent the 2000's, when to me she embodies the end of the 90s-early 00's decade with the Carmen Kass, Frankie Rayder, Maggie Rizer, Erin O'Connor, Alek Wek etc.
In the 2000's decade (which cannot be reduced to the first 2 years), Gisele embodies the new "Top Model/ Supermodel", along with Kate Moss ... Because one system cannot exist without its opposite ...

Natalia, Daria and Lara embody the 2000's models ... (in chronological order) ...
Natalia, mother of the eastern girls AND babydolls
Daria, mother of the north-american and healthy girls
Lara, mother of the voluptuous Newtonish descendants

Sometimes, some of you forget that some of the models you see now, work since, at least, 1997 (Gisele, Carmen, Karen Elson and some others) !

I distinctively remember a piece on Fashion File when Tim B used the headline "From B to A" (from Brasil to Antwerp) referring to how the model trends were moving .. just to end up with the aliens ... still . all of them were kind of a fad ... just Gisele and Natalia have stayed ... its weird .. this decade is hard for me to sum up ... the raise of the celebs, the death of the supers ... and no clear stars ... confusing!

^The supermodel died in the mid 90s when people like Carolyn Murphy and Amber Valetta were launched as supermodels. Have a look at the mags from 96/97. There is no way those girls could keep the interest of the public. They are pretty, I am sure they are nice to work with, but they don't have anything that provokes interest or even recognition. This trend continued until Lara, with a few notable exceptions like Gisele and Gemma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->