The Top Ten Models of the Decade (Thus Far)

The lack of major runway and high fashion campaigns is a glaring omission from Kate Upton's "supermodel" résumé.

Also, I don't think these girls in any way are the best of the decade either (except for maybe Saskia, Anna, Karlie and Cara), but I think they've all reached a level of overarching success that is difficult for most models to achieve.

In that case, neither Kendall or Gigi should be included imo. I don't think there has been anything truly remarkable about their careers or success. I suppose if either/both were to score all 4 of the big Vogue covers but it hasn't happened yet. They only walked a handful of major shows (frankly, not even the most prestigious) and their biggest HF campaigns have all been MG (and not particularly impressive in terms of brands). Neither of them have really diverse résumés.

Magazine covers + beauty contracts are the domain of celebrities, so it is not surprising they would do well in those areas because they are celebrities... more so than models. It's just not a level playing field when comparing them in that respect to models who are "just models" (particularly for the beauty contracts).

I wouldn't ultimately put them on this list because their moment has nothing to do with fashion.

Exactly. The public and press would be all over them even if they weren't models.

They aren't getting work due to some elusive it factor like almost every article written about them wants the reader to believe. It would be as if some pop star with a couple of minor hits decided to take up modeling, signed with IMG and the whole bit. Of course people would know her name and she'd be everywhere. She's coming in with an existing fanbase and the public already know her from somewhere else.

I think too much emphasis is put on the celebrity aspect instead of the fashion aspect whenever this topic of new supermodels is discussed. How can we downplay the very things that make models into models over vague statements about "people who aren't into fashion know who this person is"?

Indeed there are more magazines other than Vogue and more brands than Balmain/Chanel/Marc Jacobs. Runway is not irrelevant because I think people would take issue with considering any of Karlie, Joan, Arizona, Anna, Freja, Sasha, etc. as contenders if they hadn't walked for most all of the big names at some point in their careers.

^totally agree here. The decade have 4 years 2010-2020 and there some new girls coming. Mica and Anna have the dna supermodel, they are not friend of famous people, they made they career only in fashion, Anna can be so big, she needs take on NY. But the Girls like Cara, Kendall and Gigi they are famous without fashion.

Cara and Gigi were not that famous before fashion. Not at all. And I wouldn't know the Kardashians if Kendall wasn't a 'model'. She has sisters and all and I don't even know their names.

They are models. And not liking them doesn't make them any 'less' models. Ugh. Hemingway and maaaaaaaany models have famous families and didn't make it big.

BTW, totally against considering Binx one of the top ten models of the decade. I had to think: Who is this girl? She had a two minutes momentum but that's about it. Liu and Fei Fei are not that important either.

And agree that Edie has had many bluechip work, but she doesn't have the aura... I don't know, she's super forgettable. I can't even remember many of her campaings/covers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbh, i have a feeling when this decade is over and we're ALL looking back, this will be the decade of the most boring and irrelevant models-_-

TBF Warhol didn't say they were famous before fashion but that they are famous without fashion which is true.

The Kardashian sisters were certainly famous before Kendall. Frankly, to say otherwise is just... one person not knowing who they were cannot be applied to the argument.

I don't watch either of KUWTK or RHOB, so my information may not be accurate. I didn't specifically know Kendall's name, but I knew that there were younger siblings in the family. Fans of the show/family knew who she was. Hasn't she been on the show since she was a kid? In which case, she was known. Kylie isn't a model (or anything afaik) yet she is known. I'm under the impression that Gigi and her siblings are featured on Real Housewives? That's not the same amount of exposure as the Kardashians, but as long as she ended up dating boybanders at some point I think that she would have been known to some extent. Probably more of Hailey Baldwin level.

They wouldn't be as famous as they are now without fashion, but they wouldn't be anonymous celeb kids if they wanted to be in the spotlight.

Who said they weren't models? We're talking about their impact. The difference between them and other celebutante models who haven't gotten anywhere is obviously their power on social media. How many followers does Hemingway have?

I would argue that the demand for social media influence existed in the industry and led to their rise in fashion and not the other way around which is a strike against the strength of their impact imho.

Yep. Both Kendall and Gigi were already "famous" when they started modeling.

It was the modeling industry that was interested in them and their social media following, not the other way around. For the modeling is just another way to get attention.

4 categories of models are relevant to this question:

1. Supermodels; the famous models who have been around forever and still get work becasue of their fame
2. Models who made it big in the 00's, and still get covers because of their standing in the fashion world
3. Models who have made their breakthrough since 2010
4. Celebrity models, like Cara, Kendall and Gigi.

It is very difficult to compare the 4 categories, so looking for the top model of each group might make more sense. But maybe I only think so because I love organizing stuff:innocent:

Clearly you all have it so wrong

1. Cara Delevingne
2. Gigi Hadid
3. Kendall Jenner
4. Bella Hadid
5. Hailey Baldwin
6. Poppy Delevingne
7. Ireland Baldwin
8. Edie Campbell
9. Suki Waterhouse
10. Georgia May Jagger

these girls worked hard and weren't handed anything!

but seriously, I don't think the celebrities can be counted, well Cara can and I'd also say Karlie, Anna Ewers, Daphne Groeneveld maybe? Something about her makes me feel like she'll stick around.

4 categories of models are relevant to this question:

1. Supermodels; the famous models who have been around forever and still get work becasue of their fame
2. Models who made it big in the 00's, and still get covers because of their standing in the fashion world
3. Models who have made their breakthrough since 2010
4. Celebrity models, like Cara, Kendall and Gigi.

It is very difficult to compare the 4 categories, so looking for the top model of each group might make more sense. But maybe I only think so because I love organizing stuff:innocent:

Me too!

These models are the most important of their era's and still regularly work.

1. (1/2)
Linda Evangelista
Naomi Campbell
Christy Turlington
Stephanie Seymour
Cindy Crawford
Amber Valletta
Kate Moss
Eva Herzigova
Nadja Auermann
Kristen McMenamy
(2/2)
Carolyn Murphy
Stella Tennant
Guinevere Van Seenus
Karen Elson
Gisele Bundchen
Angela Lindvall
Malgosia Bela
Frankie Rayder

Daria Werbowy
Natalia Vodianova
Sasha Pivovarova
Lara Stone
Freja Beha Erichsen
(were the 5 biggest of the 00's)

Natasha Poly
Mariacarla Boscono
Liya Kebede
Jamie Bochert
Raquel Zimmermann
Julia Stegner
Iselin Steiro
Coco Rocha
Jessica Stam
Lily Donaldson
Isabeli Fontana
Elise Crombez
Caroline Trentini
Hilary Rhoda
Edita Vilkeviciute
Catherine McNeil

3. Led by:
Karlie Kloss
Jourdan Dunn
Joan Smalls
Fei Fei Sun
Liu Wen
Daria Strokous
Monica Jagaciak
Constance Jablonski
Suvi Koponen
Sigrid Agren
Karmen Pedaru
Saskia de Brauw
Andreea Diaconu
Aymeline Valade
Lindsey Wixson
Julia Nobis
(all started in the 00's but got big breaks in the 10's. They're kind of the Donaldson/Rocha/Poly/Stam/Steiro group of the new generation. Made enough of an impact to come back whenever they want and will still last for years and years to come)
And all the new girls from after 2013 who have lasting power (Lexi Boling, Anna Ewers, Vanessa Moody, Mica Arganaraz, Binx Walton, Issa Lish, Rianne van Rompaey, Julia Bergshoeff, Ine Neefs, Maartje Verhoef, Greta Varlese, Lineisy Monteiro, Amanda Murphy, Imaan Hammam, Stella Lucia, Molly Bair and Natalie Westling)

Cara Delevigne, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid, Kate Upton, Georgia May Jagger, Edie Campbell (*can also fit in 3 if you ask me), Hailey Baldwin etc

This would be my list:

Cara Delevingne
Julia Nobis
Lara Stone
Karlie Kloss
Joan Smalls
Fei Fei Sun
Liu Wen
Edie Campbell
Arizona Muse
Anja Rubik
Abbey Lee Kershaw

Honorable Mentions: Jourdan Dunn, Lexi Boling, Daphne Groeneveld, Lindsey Wixson, Anna Ewers, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid, Aymeline Valade, Kati Nescher, Karmen Pedaru, Saskia de Brauw, Daria Strokous, Candice Swanepoel, Miranda Kerr, Constance Jablonski

Some of these girls debuted before the decade (Lara, Karlie, Anja), but I think they peaked and made the most impact this decade.

----

And for fun, I did the 00's decade too. There were a lot of key models in this era, so I divided them into two.

Early to Mid-00's
Daria Werbowy
Natalia Vodianova
Elise Crombez
Julia Stegner
Liya Kebede
Karen Elson
Karolina Kurkova
Angela Lindvall
Carolyn Murphy
Carmen Kass

Honorable Mentions: Jessica Miller, Hana Soukupova, Eugenia Volodina, Missy Rayder, Frankie Rayder

Mid- to Late 00's
Gemma Ward
Raquel Zimmermann
Freja Beha Erichsen
Sasha Pivovarova
Jessica Stam
Lily Donaldson
Natasha Poly
Caroline Trentini
Doutzen Kroes
Mariacarla Boscono
Coco Rocha

Honorable Mentions: Vlada Roslyakova, Snejana Onopka, Agyness Deyn, Hilary Rhoda, Tanya Dziahileva, Heidi Mount, Chanel Iman, Isabeli Fontana, Catherine McNeil

the overall 10 biggest models of the last 10 years based on their body of works:

top 5:
Giselle bundchen
kate moss
daria werbowy
Natalia vodianova
lara stones

bottom 5
Raquel Zimmerman
karlie kloss
doutzen kroes
Natasha poly
joan smalls

these models not only get the most prestigious covers and campaigns but also those ultimate cosmetic contracts. nothing can come close to the prestige of a cosmetic contract.

the overall 10 biggest models of the last 10 years based on their body of works:

top 5:
Giselle bundchen
kate moss
daria werbowy
Natalia vodianova
lara stones

bottom 5
Raquel Zimmerman
karlie kloss
doutzen kroes
Natasha poly
joan smalls

these models not only get the most prestigious covers and campaigns but also those ultimate cosmetic contracts. nothing can come close to the prestige of a cosmetic contract.

I don't like this list because it implies that 2005-2015 was an era of fashion. Fashion there is reason that fashion is split into decades because things change dramatically throughout the decade and the start of a new one gives fashion the change to start anew. Kate Moss and Gisele are overall top models but the last 5 years? They don't even really model anymore.

u should go to models.com and check the resumes of these models for yourself. the top 5 models don't do runway or appear in every editorial but they get to front all the prestigious covers such as vogue(big 4), w, interview, i-d, elle etc.

giselle for example is the face of chanel #5 and chanel beauty...and that is huge.

if maria carla boscono had a longterm cosmetic contract she would have been on my list to replace joan smalls. mcb has fronted almost every fashion house in the industry that you can think of. however she doesnt get much covers.

well there are lots of girls who have more covers and campaign than joan smalls eg sasha p or freja however joan small has the long term estee lauder contract and that is hard to beat. freja has maybelline but then it's...maybelline.

i think i have to take joan smalls out and put freja in. i think freja is way more accoplished than joan.

I've been following fashion my whole life so if we're going to go by contracts, there are a few models you're missing. I do agree that Freja should replace Joan. Where is Carolyn Murphy? She was ranked in the top 5 of the MDC for over 10 years? She's been the main face of Estee Lauder for 15 years. Hell, why not Erin Wasson? She's been with Maybelline for 14 years and she was very blue chip until maybe 2008. She's more commercial now but she does very well in that sector.

I just think that the list doesn't reflect models and their true contemporaries. If you make a list with Natasha and Lara on it, Isabeli has to be there right with them. There isn't anything that they have done that she hasn't. Two models that you may have actually forgot are Karen Elson and Karolina Kurkova. They are two models who are actually famous for modeling. They might not work as much as they used to but they are still very relevant a blue chip. I'd actually list Karolina as a contemporary to Daria and Natalia in the terms of having done every campaign.

What's with the lack of Gemma? She was the queen from 2004-2006-7ish.

carolyn was big pre-2005. even she has the estee lauder contract for years but she doesn't get many campaigns and covers for the past 10 years. erin has maybelline for whatever years but she gets almost next to nothing when it comes to campaign and cover.

karolina was big pre-2005 but after that she didnt get much. she would get a random job everynow and then. karen's resume is not bad but it is still inferior to those listed. samething can be said to isabel's resume, great but not good enough to be on the list. if the list extended to 15 im sure karen and isabel and mcb would be in there.

my ranking is not based wholely on longterm cosmetic contract but cosmetic contract is the major factor. then u have blue chip campaigns and covers.

What's with the lack of Gemma? She was the queen from 2004-2006-7ish.

then she stopped working and got nothing after that. and i dont remember she got a cosmetic contract either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->