Salt Intake

Acid

yes
Reaction score
I was reading an article in the paper the other day about how everyone has much more salt than you really should per day

the guidelines say you should have no more than 2.6g of salt per day

i just read on the packaging of some rolls that they contain 1.4g of salt each.
the article also said that some cereals contain a lot of salt.

so.......what im supposed to eat one bowl of cereal a day plus one roll?
or else i exceed the RDA of salt.......what am i supposed to eat :wacko:

Try to eat not salted meal! Like if you cook something, then simply dont salt it! I have to agree that its not the same taste, but you can get used to it... Other thing is that you have to stop eating chrisps, crackers, salted nuts, popcorn and other junk food like that. :flower:

i don't care...i love salt... :lol:

i dont eat any of those foods you mentioned.

i mean most things contain salt in some way or another.
i eat at least 2 rolls per day which basically adds up to my daily salt allowance. i dont see how its possible not to go over the limit

Originally posted by Acid@Aug 6 2004, 11:22 PM
i dont eat any of those foods you mentioned.

i mean most things contain salt in some way or another.
i eat at least 2 rolls per day which basically adds up to my daily salt allowance. i dont see how its possible not to go over the limit
[snapback]323522[/snapback]​

:lol:

Dont take it that serious! I think that drinking a lot of mineral water helps to deal with much salt in your body!

You shouldn't worry about going over unless you have hypertension. However, to prevent it and for best health, try to eat lots of fruit and TONS of veggies. And not fried or sauteed. :ninja: Boiled, baked, raw... etc.

Drink lots of water and NEVER salt your food or drink V8 (and other highly salted drinks... it's just like drinking salt :doh: ) We get enough salt from bread (10% of our RDA in one slice!!) and other things... to add to it is just nuts.

Also stay away from: bacon, PROCESSED FOODS (frozen, potato chips, beef jerky) and salted peanuts. It's just as easy, and the price is the same, to buy unsalted nuts.

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Aug 7 2004, 05:14 PM
You shouldn't worry about going over unless you have hypertension. However, to prevent it and for best health, try to eat lots of fruit and TONS of veggies. And not fried or sauteed. :ninja: Boiled, baked, raw... etc.

Drink lots of water and NEVER salt your food or drink V8 (and other highly salted drinks... it's just like drinking salt :doh: ) We get enough salt from bread (10% of our RDA in one slice!!) and other things... to add to it is just nuts.

Also stay away from: bacon, PROCESSED FOODS (frozen, potato chips, beef jerky) and salted peanuts. It's just as easy, and the price is the same, to buy unsalted nuts.
[snapback]324521[/snapback]​
you'll have plenty of time for that when you're in your 70's/80's and all your organs are failing...i say load up on salt, sugar and dairy now because when you get older...pretty much everything is off limits...

that's my philosphy... :woot: :innocent: life is just to short to deprive yourself from something as silly as salt... :lol:

I think the point is to prevent failing organs and live a long life and be as active and healthy as you can for that entire life.

Prep is right; it's kinda hard to over-dose on salt unless you like, eat things like bacon at every meal, every day, ect. (though, with the whole 'obesity' issue in America today, OD-ing on salt is highly likely and not surprising)
Your body is constantly flushing out the salt through sweat, urine, ect. so in fact, those of us who eat really healthy (and rarely salt our foods or eat processed food) need to examine our diet to make sure that we're getting ENOUGH salt.

Although, I admit, it does sound tempting to have fun now, eat whatever you want and worry about it later :wink: (cause you might get hit by a bus tomorrow and then you'll regret not eating that slice of cheesecake, hee hee)

A slice of cheesecake won't kill you, but a lifetime of slices will. It's important to start trying to improve your eating habits now so that if you DO develop health problems later in life, it won't be as big of a lifestyle change and shock for you. Plus, healthy food is yummy too. :smile:

I'm not much of a salt eatter but when I crave it, I have it.

I read in an article somewhere that if you are having cravings then your body is probably lacking something that your craving offers.

My number one craving is for sunflower seeds so I'd assume I am low on salt because I never add it to foods I eat!

What drives me up the wall is when people add salt to their food without even having tasted it yet!

^^ If you are in a restaurant, that is actually very poor etiquette and an insult to the cook. :wink:

Softie
I agree with you 100%
I love my salt. I eat food just so that I can put salt on it. Enjoy it while you can I say.

Originally posted by VainJane@Aug 10 2004, 05:01 AM

Although, I admit, it does sound tempting to have fun now, eat whatever you want and worry about it later :wink: (cause you might get hit by a bus tomorrow and then you'll regret not eating that slice of cheesecake, hee hee)
[snapback]326905[/snapback]​

you may laugh...but that actually happened to my friend a couple of months ago...he was just crossing the street and a HUGE monster of a garbage truck took the corner too quickly and hit him and his friend as they were crossing...

his insides were all over the street and they thought he would lose his leg...he's lucky to be alive and i can tell you that he's been on a severely restricted diet since March...they have just reconnected his intestines...

and he's LUCKY...!!! it could have been so much worse...so grab the salt...have a beer...eat the ice cream...have dessert...enjoy your life...it's all you've got... :heart: :flower:

Originally posted by BabyJ@Aug 10 2004, 11:22 PM
I'm not much of a salt eatter but when I crave it, I have it.

I read in an article somewhere that if you are having cravings then your body is probably lacking something that your craving offers.

My number one craving is for sunflower seeds so I'd assume I am low on salt because I never add it to foods I eat!

What drives me up the wall is when people add salt to their food without even having tasted it yet!
[snapback]327958[/snapback]​

i agree 100%...and prep...i also agree that healthy food is yummy too!!!

an excellent way to offset salt is with plenty of water... then you should be fine. :smile:

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Aug 11 2004, 05:24 AM
^^ If you are in a restaurant, that is actually very poor etiquette and an insult to the cook. :wink:
[snapback]328136[/snapback]​

did you also know...that if you're in a restaurant and the food is overly salty that it is a sign that the chef is doing coke...because they often do it to stay up all night and it kills your taste buds so you tend to oversalt everything...

just something i learned from a friend who is a chef .... :innocent:

Originally posted by Erin@Aug 11 2004, 10:12 AM
an excellent way to offset salt is with plenty of water... then you should be fine. :smile:
[snapback]328252[/snapback]​
:lol: ...BLOATED...but fine... :wink:

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 11 2004, 04:14 PM
just something i learned from a friend who is a chef .... :innocent:
[snapback]328255[/snapback]​
Yeah, sure, tell it to the judge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul