jegg

Reaction score
SEAMLESS
Director: Douglas Keeve
U.S.A.
120 min
Color
World Premiere

Whether prêt-á-porter or haute couture, behind all the glamour and glitz, the fashion industry is just as cutthroat as any other. So how does an emerging designer's passion and talent turn from sketches on a pad to a powerhouse label? Douglas Keeve, who profiled an established designer in his film Unzipped, turns the cameras in on young, up-and-coming designers in Seamless. The Council of Fashion Designers of America and Vogue magazine recently established an award to help aspiring designers. Reeve focused on four of the ten New York designers as they compete for the first annual CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund, which could finance their dreams: Alexandre Plokhov of Cloak; Lazaro Hernandez & Jack McCollough of Proenza Schouler; and Doo Ri Chung of Doo.Ri. Fresh, ambitious, and promising are words used to describe each of them-and broke, which is why the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund is so important to them. Keeve delves into the challenges and struggles facing each designer professionally and personally. Plokhov's girlfriend is on the other side of the Atlantic and he regularly works long hours and comes home to an empty apartment. Proenza Shouler's Hernandez and McCollough are partners in the business and in life. Doo.Ri. is basically a one-woman show whose studio is in the basement of her family's dry cleaners in New Jersey. Keeve has created a fascinating journey of four people, which is at times touching and at others heartbreaking, but that leads up to one suspense-filled moment.

thanks jegg...and welcome to th fashion spot..!!...:flower:
sounds like an absolute 'must-see' for anyone involved in or interested in fashion...

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting, thanks for posting. "Unzipped" was brilliant, and I hope this film will be, too.

I just posted a picture of Karolina Kurkova with Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough (in another thread) at the screening of Seamless. Looking forward to seeing it.

It sounds very promising esp. since its characterization of these designers are in the usual formula that makes succesful docs (ala Spellbound): delve into their personal lives and centering the story around something that can generate suspense, a contest/prize.

I will look out for this. Thanks for posting.

Compelling film lets the designers strut

By ROBIN GIVHAN, The Washington Post
May 26, 2005

About midway through "Seamless," a documentary about a group of designers trying to succeed in the fashion industry, the camera pulls in close on the face of Alexandre Plokhov, designer of a menswear collection called Cloak. He has a gentle voice with a Russian accent and the mournful face of an insomniac. Plokhov, sitting in an exasperated slouch, is laying out his relentless work schedule to the camera and complaining about how difficult it is to go to his studio on a Sunday afternoon when it seems that everyone else in all of New York is enjoying brunch and nursing their second Bloody Mary.

"Why am I not enjoying my frickin' brioche?" he asks peevishly.

Dreams are paid for in all kinds of currency, not the least of which is the luxury of lingering over Sunday brunch. "Seamless" explores the costly, delusional, admirable and daunting passion that convinces design-school graduates, self-taught seamstresses and kids making paper dolls that they will beat the odds.

"Seamless," which premiered last week at the Tribeca Film Festival, focuses on the tribulations faced by upstarts in the industry. The film follows three of 10 finalists as they competed last year in a competition to win $200,000 in financing and a business mentorship. More than a big-screen version of the TV series "Project Runway," which suggested the industry doesn't mind snacking on its young, "Seamless" reveals something reassuring about the nature of the fashion business. Representatives from the Council of Fashion Designers of America and companies such as Vogue, Barneys New York and Kellwood (a sportswear conglomerate) seek to nurture the next generation of designers rather than create a voyeuristic false reality of tension, demoralization and drama.

"Seamless" was directed by Douglas Keeve, who made "Unzipped," the story of designer Isaac Mizrahi's preparations for his fall 1994 runway presentation. In it, Keeve captured the hyperbolic personality of Mizrahi as well as the concept of a "fashion moment," a singular instance when the clothes and the concept merge to create something heart-stoppingly memorable.

"Unzipped" is a rare example of a fashion film that is neither boring nor ridiculous. From the frothy "Funny Face" to a recent pair of excruciatingly pretentious documentaries about Yves Saint Laurent, fashion films are notoriously disappointing. They are either filled with flamboyant caricatures of limp-wristed designers, dimwitted models and fawning editors, or they are horribly pompous, elevating the designer to messianic proportions and suggesting that putting a woman in a man's tuxedo was not merely a good idea but it would cause the Earth to shift slightly on its axis. Lost between the clowns and the saviors is the entertaining reality of the fashion industry.

In "Seamless," Keeve tries to coax the humanity of the players out of hiding. "I wanted to show their lives in depth. I wanted to make a character-driven film," says Keeve, the day after his film's red carpet premiere. "Seamless," which is repped by Submarine Entertainment - the same company that sold "Super Size Me" and "Spellbound" - is still in search of a distribution deal, either in theaters or on TV.

"We wanted to show the contest, the personal lives and the fabulousness. And it's hard to know the right amount of each to sprinkle in," he says. "You change one line and the character becomes a completely different character."

The film grew out of a fashion industry initiative created by the CFDA and Vogue to help struggling designers find a balance between their creative impulses and business necessities. (Applications are being accepted for the 2005 award.) The reality is that most fashion startups fail because of a bad business plan - or no plan at all - rather than a lack of creative talent. Most designers don't want to deal with balancing the books. Who wants to have a conversation about volume, profit margins and making payroll when one can talk about design inspiration such as "the American West" or "Africa on drugs"?

But ultimately, it's the looming specter of business that transforms "Seamless" and makes its lead characters - designers Doo-Ri Chung, Plokhov and the team of Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough, who design under the label Proenza Schouler - so compelling.

The designers "are not special in terms of their lack of business acumen or any other aspect of it," Keeve says. "I really felt like I was watching myself. Everybody has different skills and instincts. Anyone can relate to this or see themselves in this."

Empathy so often is what goes missing in big-screen - or even television - fashion. In films, fashion is treated as a foreign world. Directors take on the role of interpreters translating some arcane language for the general public. "Project Runway," for all of its emphasis on design skills and its real-life hurdles such as limited budgets and difficult customers, still relies on far-fetched challenges and compressed deadlines for its drama.

Film and television like to present fashion insiders as archetypes - prima donna, artist, supermodel, socialite, starlet. Rarely will popular culture allow that portraying them as nuanced people - insecure, aspiring, silly, infuriating - can be just as compelling.

First of all, I just wanted to say hello. This is my first post (Although I have been lurking for a while). It's time to contribute!

I saw "Seamless" last night at the Newport Film Festival and had the pleasure of rubbing elbows with Tom Florio, the publisher of Vogue, Doo Ri, one of the many talented designers featured in the film and Doug Keeves, the director of the film.

I thought this film was truly amazing. Did anyone else get a chance to see it last night? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts!

Kate

hi kate...welcome to the fashion spot...

lucky you for getting to see this film...
i hope it will be released more widely soon so that the rest of us can enjoy it as well...
:flower:

from the Newport Daily News...

"...the star of the night was designer Doo Ri Chung, one of the film's main subjects.
She chatted with guests and seemed to draw fans wherever she went.
Chung designs clothes in the basement of her parents' New Jersey cleaning business and has no staff. People liked her underdog spirit but the celebrity life is not what she has in mind.She's seen "Seamless" once and passed on it Tuesday night, but did show up to take questions after the screening.Chung is uneasy seeing herself on the big screen. "Oh, it's terrifying," she said. "I hate to see myself. I can't stand hearing my own voice. I'm a behind-the-scenes person. But I think this is an important film and it will have an impact on the fashion industry."

http://www.newportdailynews.com/articles/2005/06/08/news/news1.txt
http://www.newportdailynews.com/articles/2005/06/08/news/news2.txt

I am still excited about this film. Two days later I'm still thinking about it. It is the kind of film that "stays with you" so to speak. It was definitely inspiring. I encourage everyone to take a look at Doo Ri's collections. They are for the most part Jersey and Silk. I think the draping on her pieces is just beautiful. For those who are curious, after the film she said you can buy her pieces at 30 different locations in the US. I will be hunting them down online today!

*edited to say: Thank you softgrey. I'm so happy I found this space.

Last edited by a moderator:
jegg...
you are doing an excellent job at promoting this film...
:wink:...

too bad it's not showing anywhere..!!...:lol:...

..."Seamless," which is repped by Submarine Entertainment
- the same company that sold "Super Size Me" and "Spellbound" ...

:innocent: (a friend worked abit on the movie)
--ive heard there very close to a deal
soon..softgray :angel:

Sundance Channel Acquires U.S. Pay TV Rights to Documentary Seamless From Vogue Magazine
Friday October 28, 11:00 am ET

Documentary Captures the Excitement, Struggle and Often Heartbreaking Stories of Emerging Fashion Designers - U.S. TV Premiere on December 26

NEW YORK, Oct. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- Sundance Channel has acquired U.S. pay T.V., pay per view, and video on demand (VOD) rights from Vogue magazine for the documentary Seamless, directed by Douglas Keeve and produced by Thomas A. Florio, VP & Publisher of Vogue. The film makes its U.S. premiere on Sundance Channel on December 26, 2005 at 9:00 pm, ET/PT.

"Seamless offers a raw look into what it takes to 'make it' in the fashion industry. This captivating film helps to lay the groundwork for future projects at Sundance Channel that provide 'day-in-the-life' perspectives on fascinating people and their industries," commented Laura Michalchyshyn, Executive Vice President, Programming & Marketing, Sundance Channel.

The film begins as Anna Wintour, editor-in chief, Vogue, questions where the next great young designer will come from. Enter the Council of Fashion Designers of America/Vogue Fashion Fund, a financial award presented annually to the young designer deemed most promising.

Seamless follows four fledgling designers as they navigate the not-so-glamorous world of pre-fame fashion and compete for the CFDA/Vogue prize. Alexandre Plokhov of Cloak, Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough of Proenza Schouler, and Doo Ri Chung of Doo.Ri each have the passion, talent, and acumen needed to succeed. What they don't have is the financial means to make the transition from virtually unknown artist to famous label designer. The stakes are high as they face touching, sometimes funny moments and several obstacles in pursuit of $250,000 and a mentorship.

Director Douglas Keeve, whose first film was the documentary Unzipped with Isaac Mizrahi, tracks the four competitors as they put the finishing touches on their designs, rehearse for daunting interviews, and prepare their work spaces for studio visits. Each has an exceptional story with a distinctive line of clothing to match. Interwoven within these narratives are interviews with the established, well respected, and sometimes feared members of the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund committee, whose mission it is to choose fashion's Next Big Thing.

Seamless was underwritten by Hewlett-Packard, Movado, Redken and Shiseido.

About the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund

Launched in 2004, the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund is an unprecedented award program that combines a financial prize with business mentoring to promote the next wave of young American talent. The selection process involves narrowing down over hundreds of initial applicants to 10 finalists and ultimately an overall winner. These ten finalists go on to present their work and their business plan to a panel of fashion industry leaders, all of whom put the designers through rigorous questioning, studio visits and fashion presentations.

About Sundance Channel

Under the creative direction of Robert Redford, Sundance Channel is the television destination for independent-minded viewers seeking something different. Bold, uncompromising and irreverent, Sundance Channel offers audiences a diverse and engaging selection of films, documentaries, and original programs, all uncut and commercial free. Launched in 1996, Sundance Channel is a venture among NBC Universal, Robert Redford, and Showtime Networks Inc. Sundance Channel operates independently of the non-profit Sundance Institute and the Sundance Film Festival, but shares the overall Sundance mission of encouraging artistic freedom of expression. Sundance Channel's website address is http://www.sundancechannel.com.

Source: Sundance Channel

racking Shots
'Seamless'
by Matt Singer ------------------ Village Voice

Seamless
Directed by Doug Keeve
Opens November 25, Cinema Village

Motivated by 9-11 and the resultant lack of "priority in shopping," Vogue and the Council of Fashion Designers of America launched a contest designed to support the next generation of garment innovators. Doug Keeve's absorbing documentary follows three of the 10 finalists through their preparations and judging. Though the film is a sober account, the subject alone ensures numerous moments of inspired hilarity. One contestant from Proenza Schouler announces the spring season will be "kind of tropically feeling . . . almost like a little Jackie O.–ish." Later, the Proenza team shows off a signature item: a bleached alligator skin jacket, affordably priced to own at just $29,000 retail—and they've sold six of them! Despite numerous scenes that play like outtakes from Zoolander, Seamless conveys the dedication it takes to eke out a living in an industry where financial success can take decades. Designer Doo Ri Chung stands out in particular; unlike her celebrity-client-schmoozing competition, she toils away in an unglamorous basement beneath her parents' New Jersey dry cleaners (she finds the Garden State's intense boredom more conducive to creativity). Clocking in at a brief 75 minutes, Seamless can only address the surfaces of these struggles. But for an industry consumed with surfaces, that feels oddly appropriate.

i hear there might be Q&A with some of the Designers & Director after the 7:30 screening on friday --(25th)

Cinema Village
22 East 12th Street
New York, NY 10003
(212) 924-3363 

SEAMLESS NR
Running Time 1:20
1:45p 3:35p 5:30p 7:30p 

SEAMLESS to open on November 25th at the Cinema Village

showtimes: 1:45pm, 3:35pm, 5:30pm, 7:30pm (Q&A with director Doug Keeve 11/25 & 11/16 @ 7:30pm)

"Impressive! A thoughtful and fascinating film." --Variety

"Compelling...filled with astonishing characters and breathtaking beauty." --Washington Post

"Dark and fun!" --Los Angeles Times

"Spellbound, only with fashionistas instead of spelling-bee champs." --New York Magazine

Douglas Keeve again proves himself the ultimate cinematic authority on

the world of fashion with this absorbing doc.

In response to the incredible difficulties faced by young fashion

designers who want to go into the business and the high mortality rate

of their businesses, Vogue magazine established a competition which

would award a sizeable cash prize, as well as a major mentorship

opportunity, to a deserving wannabe New York couturier.

Douglas Keeve, whose film “Unzipped,� about designer Isaac Mizrahi,

remains one of the best films about fashion ever made, repeats his

success with a thoughtfully shot, intelligent look at this

competition’s progress, focusing on three of the ten finalists. Korean

Doo Ri Chung struggles alone in her parent’s New Jersey dry cleaning

establishment, having no staff, save her boyfriend, to rely on. Russian

Alexandre Plokhov deals with a long distance relationship with his wife

in London, while dealing with the production and delivery problems of

his magnificently tailored men’s line. Achingly young Lazaro Hernandez

and Jack McCollough (both 26) had the luck to have their senior school

collection bought by Barney’s department store, but find that their

line, Proenza Schouler, is still far from profitable.

Keeve’s camera cannily probes these designers’ daily moments of

creative satisfaction and, far more often, frustration, in a way that

lends both deep understanding and an exciting urgency. Like the TV show,

Project: Runway, this film can be compelling even to those who profess

to care not a whit about fashion, if only for its honesty in depicting

the creative process trapped in a commercial world. Commentary by

established fashion successes like Tom Ford, style icon Sarah Jessica

Parker (shopping for a Plokhov tuxedo in one of the film’s lighter

moments) and Vogue’s redoubtably chic Anna Wintour provide further

authenticity. For the interested, Keeve performs a real service here by

getting us inside this most rarefied world without our having to

actually deal with the often attendant poisonous attitude.

The stakes are high for them all, the tension mounts nigh-unbearably

and, by the end, when, sadly, only one winner is chosen, only the most

stone-hearted and clothes-hating of souls will remain unmoved by the

bereft disappointment that figures on the faces of the losers, even as

they “celebrate� at an oh-so-chic event. The bitter, often

heartbreakingly cruel reality which lies beneath the ultra-attractive

surface of this business reveals itself in the most devastating of

ways.

--FILM JOURNAL INTERNATIONAL by David Noh

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics