Sewing - #2

^Thanks Crying Diamonds, I will try your suggestion.

I am in awe of your sewing skills Nymphaea!:o Everything looks so beautiful!

I am thinking of upgrading my sewing machine. Do you guys have any recommendation (which brand/series...should I get)?

I am thinking of upgrading my sewing machine. Do you guys have any recommendation (which brand/series...should I get)?
What do you have at the moment?
Difficult to answer because it's in the details you want. I have only home sewing machines: Pfaff Select (couple of years old), Bernina (about 25 years old) and Husqvarna (45 years old). The older ones have a much nicer enigine and are very sturdy. The new Pfaff sounds very plastic but has a better ruler and some other details like Integrated Dual Transportation (after working a time with it I question it's extra comfort, you can do without I think) and automatic buttonholes, but they are not even (I'm very picky about details), my Husqvarna has the nicest buttonholes. Also if you buy a more expensive machine, you'll almost only get for extra are more stitch options.
I'm curious what others think and how about industrial machines?

Finally I've finished my silk blouse. And I'm very happy with the result. But oh my, very difficult to work with this kind of fabric. I've learned a lot but still have some questions.
I haven't found the ideal settings on my serger unfortunately, but I want to find them. So I worked with raw edges, far from ideal, and sewn french seams.
Also the little collar (=double folded fabric) I have beneath the bow pulls a bit, I guess it has something to do with the grain, but haven't yet found the solution.
The buttonholes also were problematic, but I solved this by sewing a scrap of pattern paper beneath it. I have 6 buttonholes on each cuff and I found it difficult to perfectly align them on this flowy fabric. Also pins leave more or less holes, but it's impossible to use no pins.
When pulling on and off this blouse there is some tension at the waist because it has to go over my shoulders. I already see some tension marks. I guess I have to sew some reinforcement at that spot.
And there is some puckering at the cuff and throat slits where I added strips of fabric to finish them.
If anyone has any suggestions, they are VERY welcome.
my pics

Attachments

• silk 002.jpg
    silk 002.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 0
  • silk 004.jpg
    silk 004.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1
One of my work in 2012

11970196286_a98a7546fc_b.jpg

11970196236_ef2fbc5dbb_b.jpg

One of my work back in year 2012, what do you think?
I'm basically self-taught, I'm still learning so I know the finishing of the dress is not that good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love an industrial machine, but they only work with one stitch (are there newer industrials that do more?) and so for buttonholes, for example, you end up using the home machine. Usually for home sewing we don't have the space or budget for all different kinds of industrial sewing machines.

I have a home sewing machine and a home serger (although I love the industrial serger) and I'm planning on getting a coverstitch sometime in the far future as working with these 2 is great for me - I've done garments, bags, swimwear and no complaints! Both my machines are Brother and they have worked great so far. One is around 3 years old, the other maybe 5. I do regular oiling and cleaning myself and they are as good as new.

I think you just need to make sure the machine suits your needs (for construction, decorative stitches, etc.) so you don't end up paying for stuff you won't need. Check if additional feet are easily available and not too expensive. And look for the basics, such as easy to regulate tension, zigzag/straight/reverse stitches and buttonholes.

Hi! Anyone sewing anything lately?

I picked up sewing again for the first time in many years. I'm still a beginner, but absolutely loving it!

I'm sewing a blouse in a cotton fabric, a kind of stiff-ish sheer-ish shirt material.

What is the best way for beginners to be able to finish a simple scoop neckline in an easy, neat and beautiful way?

I'm working on altering the pattern now, and so far so good, but I am trying to figure out how to remove the gap at the neckline too.

Any advice is welcome! :flower:

^Well, I hemmed a pair of jeans yesterday... :innocent:

I am also looking forward to hearing about more sophisticated projects though. This thread is very quiet...

Okay, I resolved the neckline issue and made a nice new pattern. Now I just have to sew it.

I'm sewing at the moment but no clothing. So I've got nothing new.

Decorative pillows, from leather to pillows embellished with haute couture embroidery. Fun and beautiful!

:heart::heart: I love it! Do post photos when you're done! :flower:

I'm supposed to be making pillows too, but I haven't found fabric I like yet...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received a new batch velvets and silks. Working with beautiful fabrics is very inspiring. Love it!

Well, after a bried hiatus I am back at sewing. I've made a couple different jackets, a few (it feels like a million) samples to make sure the fabrics are right, but right now my nemesis is a tutu skirt that just doesnt want to come out right.

I'm doing everything on my industrial machine but could do without it , really.

Wow, jackets, that is impressive! So amazing that you do many samples.
What is giving you trouble with the tutu skirt? I've never sewn tulle, is it hard?

I just finished sewing two cushions: one in beige velvet and the other in shrunken (kind of shrivelled and pleated) champagne-gold and off-white brocade. Totally in love!

Tulle isn't that hard to sew, it's just that there's a lot of it^_^ The part where I was having trouble was the waistband, I wanted it to have a good fit but not be super stretchy. I think I did well, we'll see when I try to make another one:angel:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SailorMoon1993
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->