Sewing - #2

Tulle isn't that hard to sew, it's just that there's a lot of it^_^ The part where I was having trouble was the waistband, I wanted it to have a good fit but not be super stretchy. I think I did well, we'll see when I try to make another one:angel:

daniellat I really hope you'll post pics!!
I love tulle skirts. :heart:

when you guys cut fabric, do you use scissors or some sort of cutting wheel?
i find fabric so hard to cut...
it slides around and won't stay still the way paper does...
if i could make clothes out of paper, i'd be all set!
:lol:...

part of me really wants a cutting wheel...
honestly- i don't even know if that's the real name...
basically, i want a pizza cutter for fabric...
what do you call that?

congrats to everyone on their projects!
even though i do alterations and customizations regularly, i hardly ever sew anything from scratch...

recently, i bought a vintage pattern which i need to try to use...
it's for fall, so i have time but i need to find the fabric pretty soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
^I prefer a rotary cutter but it also depends on the fabric you're using. But it al comes down on preference. Some people are more handy with scissors and some with a rotary cutter.
When fabric is very slippery I pin it on tissue paper or muslin, it stablizes the fabric, and use my rotary cutter.

I use a rotary cutter too. It's much more comfortable on the long run and I find it more precise.

I'm still trying the sew gussets in my copy of that Jil Sander coat, but it's sooooooooooooo difficult to get it right. :( Anyone tips/suggestions? I don't have someone nearby who can assist me unfortunately. I'm probably going to ask a professional seamstress to do this for me, if I can find a very good one.

mmm, all I can think of is using marks on both pieces to line them up where needed, and baste it first. I don't know if they work like regular sleeves, where you can baste the sleeve at the shoulder and pucker it a little to get a proper fit...

Black fitted jersey dress with side slit I've sewn. Now I'm thinking to do the same but less fitted and a wider skirt.
my own pics

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 7
  • bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 7
It does look fantastic! I like it even better than the Rick Owens :o Maybe you have a career in fashion ahead of you :wink:

Thanks eizhowa. It isn't really difficult to make, especially not if you take a shirt you own as a template for your dress.

I am ridiculously bad at sewing... I have shortened a lot of my vintage furs by hand, but you can't really see the horrible stiching when the fabric is fluffy:wink:

I would love a shorter dress just like the one you made. Unfortunately, only really expensive (for me) brands make simple dresses like that... Oh, I wish I could sew! I always get so envious of you guys when I visit this thread.

I have no skills either :smile: This thing of having difficulty with eye-hand-foot coordination runs in my family, so I had a hard time learning to use the sewing machine, and gave up before I got any good at it. I would probably be better now, but I don't really feel motivated to learn as it's just easier to buy something now ... but how great to be able to envision something & create it!

I've been looking for a grey summer dress for a while now with no luck, so I've been thinking that I could make one instead. This and this is my inspiration, and I imagined a linen rayon blend, something with both a bit of texture and drape. I haven't found anything yet, but yesterday I did find a really nice pale grey rayon cupro that looks like washed silk...I'd love to make something from that, but I am unsure which silhouette/pattern to go for. A fabric like that could easily end up looking a little bridesmaid-y, if you know what I mean? Any suggestions? All I know is I need a defined waist, but other than that I am open to ideas! :flower:

This vintage pattern was the first that caught my eye (I love the back detail!), but it's too dressy I think...

my own picture/decadesofstyle.com

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_5164_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_5164_1024.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1940.jpg
    1940.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 2
For me that vintage pattern isn't too dressy at all. The fabric is lovely. :flower: It's all about the combination of fabric and pattern I think, especially the fabric. If a pattern is chic you can bring it down with the fabric but also with the styling. I would advise you to scroll through a lot of sewing patterns to get an idea what's available and which one you like the most. I only see the lines of a sewing pattern and not the fabric they used because the fabric choice can make or break a pattern end result. Also the details are important to upgrade or downgrade a pattern or outfit imo, such like jewelry, hair, shoes, make up.

^ It's definitely the most challenging part of sewing for me, pairing fabric with pattern...:wink:

Both the fabric and the pattern are very very lovely!
I agree with Nymphaea, I think it would work.
To avoid going too dressy, what I would do would be:
--to make the waist tie longer (maybe even slightly narrower? Hard to tell from the picture) so it can tie casually and drape long and thin in front or in the back as opposed to making a big bow in the back
--two big front pockets instead of one (I love that pocket detail!)
--wear it with flat sandals or sneakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->