Sewing

Status
Not open for further replies.
i guess so^ i thought those patterns you buy sort of make it more confusing. there are so many instructions and diagrams. it was easier for me to study pattern making first. i think if you want to use them, get the simplest ones... or get someone to draft something for you :-D

also regarding what sophia mentioned, when i first started sewing, i thought i would just do small samples too. different seams, etc. but my instructor suggested i just go right in and make a complete garment. a simple blouse. then i can really see the techniques being put into effect

the basic stitches are really just straight stitch ( ------) and zigzag for finishing raw edges of fabric ( VVVVVV )
As you work with different fabrics or when you want a different function, the sewing techniques evolve slightly... i just learn along the way.
a good book is an older version of Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing

^ Get that book thats what we use in class but not the new one as gius says.

i wasnt self thought, i actually didnt know a thing before going to fashion school, i was taught first patternmaking and then sewing, looking back it was the best way since you understand the body and how clothing is supposed to hang ont he body through patternmaking and then how to sew, i think they are two very separate things.

About ready made patterns, im pretty good at sewing and makign my own patterns from scratch and ive found very difficult to sew one store bought, very confusing since i didnt make it from scratch.

For beginners I recommend you learn how to patterndraft & sew a simple skirt first. It seems like alot of steps and might seem difficult at first, but don't give up! This seems like a nice tutorial for an A-line skirt:
http://sew-mad.blogspot.com/2007/03/basic-line-skirt-drafting.html
And for a VERY easy circle skirt (though hemming in can be a little tricky:(
http://bycat.blogspot.com/2007/02/pattern-drafting-for-circle-skirt.html

My latest sewing project:

DSC_1492.JPG

Mustard-like color dress, has only one sleeve with gathers. Quite fun to make. =)
IMG_0319.JPG

The colors look different in both pictures but the first one is more accurate. ^_^

I bought a sewing machine today ^_^ Going to start small,learning how to use it before I try to sew the world's most basic items :D

Good luck dumbfairy! Sadly, I've been lacking motivation these days and haven't touched mine for ages :( I'm not sure if this has been answered but... how do you finish your garments without a serger? The fabric I am using is fraying quite a bit, even with the zig zag stitch in place...

if the fabric is thin enough try using a french seam to finish your garment, but it depends what your sewing whether to use this technique. if you want something uber fancy bind all the inside seams it looks uber smart when you do it although takes a long time to do. :flower:

French seams are your friend I use them on everything or if its heavy like a jacket ect I use a bias binding.

Thanks for the advice! I've been avoiding doing that cause I haven't bothered to learn how to ^_^ (is clearly an amateur).... but I'd give it a go now :blush:

the trials, tribulations and nature of natural fabrics. i personally love silks, and only work in all natural fabrics if i can help it. each has their own unique set of properties you need to understand how to handle when you work with them, but when you do, the end result is just stunning...

thanks for the reply, christian :-) i don't have a problem with the seams.. it's the fabric itself, the body of the garment. let's say i have a sleeve inside-out. i will turn it right-side out. as i'm pulling the fabric to the right side, i have to gather it a bit.. when i'm done, there are wrinkles everywhere.
it's surprising how easily and quickly this fabric wrinkles.

oh well. something to learn for the future. i might not work with this fabric again unless it's for a one-layer garment or something that looks good wrinkled like calvin klein s/s 2010 (*_*

i also didn't know the silk could get a stain from water. i've worked with organza and dupioni so far --they seemed fine. but i'm using charmeuse this time...

it looks very nice. i love the black fabric. the lining does look like you need to adjust the tension on your machine though, or your needle size.
my first jacket's finished...

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._154458078473_752773473_3586907_4246488_n.jpg

you can see the top collar was a bit long for some reason
so i had to ease it on... it's wrinkling there *sad*
but i think it will go away when i press it.
i hand stitched it

the guy's it's for, he might want a hidden closure so there's none of that yet

and the inside is red :-)
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._154460123473_752773473_3586912_4761272_n.jpg

i also discovered the lining is a bit off... longer than usual, so i had to ease it also and i added some to a pleat at the back

the sleeve also feels tighter now (i tried it on), but the jacket's made-to-measure, so maybe he will be comfortable in it. my body's quite different from his

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you^ I did that part by hand
my needle was a bit big --I keep losing all my proper needles somehow. I'm down to one now. But I'm rechecking the stitches, they're pretty loose... so I wonder if it's the weight of the charmeuse, that's causing the puckers. It's so heavy compared to the black fabric I used there. Would be easy to quilt even without padding

I am currently going in a different direction from my usual clothes and accessories. I went to a Japanese sashiko textile exhibition at York Art Gallery which I really enjoyed. They were selling some sashiko kits there and I got one to have a try at this technique. I have done some quilting and embroidery before, but am not an expert by any means. The picture is from eurojapanlinks.com and the same kit as I got from the art gallery.

thank you^ I did that part by hand
my needle was a bit big --I keep losing all my proper needles somehow. I'm down to one now. But I'm rechecking the stitches, they're pretty loose... so I wonder if it's the weight of the charmeuse, that's causing the puckers. It's so heavy compared to the black fabric I used there. Would be easy to quilt even without padding
yeah, you have to use very fine needles on charmeuse and a tighter tension and stretch it ever so slightly when sewing

^ just had a quick look at that on Amazon and it looks brilliant. I saw that it was by Susan Briscoe who designed the one I am doing, and a lot of the other kits for sale in the gallery. I am really enjoying doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookbabe001
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->