Sex and the City/And Just Like That... (HBO Series)

i dont get what there is to discuss... it's a TV show and it's out of production... in the end that's all it is: a tv show

Pureelegance, you say:She should've stayed with him but she ends up with big.

Perhaps, in a perfect world, she would have stayed with Aidan. But, as you've put it, the character of Carrie ISN'T perfect. She makes mistakes. And, as we all know, in real life, things don't always go as they ought to

You put the show down for Carrie being irresponsible, for spending too much $$ on shoes ($$ her character ought not have)... for wrongly portraying new yorkers. And then you put it down for not having a storybook ending.

I find this whole discussion laughable... you're bashing fiction. And that's funny.

i dont know i agree with half of what you're saying but the thing is, to other people around the world who watch this show,

it's portraying new yorkers in a certain light.

new yorkers aren't all like that and most people think so now. and it's pissing me off as a new yorker.:angry:

i dont want to be thought that way.

sorry i dont mean to b*tch about this but

you're not a new yorker and i don't know you haven't been told that

oh you're a new yorker so you're like carrie and you admire her don't you?

perhaps I'm not a new yorker, although I did live in Manhattan for a year, but what's the big deal? I don't think people assume all NYers are like that-- although I think it would be fun if they were... it's like... Full House. I don't assume that all people from San Francisco are like the Tanner family. (HA) Nor do I assume that all New Yorkers are like the characters on Friends!

I think it's a little silly (and annoying to the rest of us) to think that all people are thinking these things about you. Come on. And, on the off chance that they are, so what?

Furthermore, if you do live in New York, how often can you really hear comments about being like the characters on Sex and the City? Unless you travel often, or fraternize with people who are from out-of-state and ignorant... I can't imagine you run into a lot of people who have the misconception that you're just a sex and the city clone. Unless you talk to a lot of people online who ask you questions, in which case, HAHAHA

Additionally, I AM a columnist, and I hear all the time, "Oh, are you trying to be all Sex and the City?" Of course I'm not. But it doens't bother me when people ask or assume that I am... I don't have to prove myself or defend myself to anyone. I am who I am, and I'm not insecure enough to let a little TV show get to me. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
ok.....im not from New York, so i really don't know if it would it offend me or not.....but in my opinion....sex and the city never made new york look bad or stuck up....it made it look fun and cool and exciting...:heart:

now.....i always used to wonder about carries wardrobe as well...it didn't seem to be every realistic but then i thought about it like this....she's single, she doesn't have any kids, and i remember in one episode she said that her rent was very cheap....so with that in mind...i guess we can just assume that the majority of her disposable income went into her clothes....another thing....carrie not only worked at the newspaper, but from what i can remember, she also did freelance work (vogue) and don't forget that she ended up writing a book, although that was toward the end of the series.....

i remeber that there was an interview with pat field ( the costume designer of SATC), i forget where it was, and they asked the same question.....she started off by saying, well....maybe carrie is friends with designers and she borrows alot of the clothes that she wears, since they never repeated outfits on the show, or maybe she has work on the side...and then she said...you know what...who cares how she affords all these clothes and shoes and bags, dont worry about it:lol:

yeah...i know i sound like a crazy sex and the city fan.......:blush: :heart:

either way...like someone before me said...its just a show, right.....:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i guess....

i dont know.

a lot of my friends from out of town are like that. i used to be from michigan but then when i moved all my friends said that.

i know i shouldn't care but it gets annoying after a while.

im just making a generalization from the people i know okay?

im not saying EVERYONE but im just saying between the people i know and stuff.

i hate fighting about these stupid things.:(

I just watched 20 minutes of SATC for the first time ever and I have to say I'm not impressed. First of all, I think SJP is very ugly, which is the only reason I like her.:blush: I think Miranda (or the one with the pixie haircut, I think it's her) looks positivley emaciated imo. I didn't hate it or anything but I'd perfer not to watch it.

I catch the reruns now and then I just think the show was pure fun I don't think they were trying to represent anything realistically I find it amusing with some of the smart one-liners and silly situations I just think of it like a regular old sitcom but with better clothes and lots more sex haha Fluff TV

:lol: I find it really funny that this thread is in favorites when it started out at a thread to bag the show :lol:

That said I love the show :flower:

hotpinky said:
i dont get what there is to discuss... it's a TV show and it's out of production... in the end that's all it is: a tv show

But to some, it was a fabulous TV show. I still watch it religiously. The characters in that show make it fun to be girly.

i love sex and the city

but the one thing that annoyed me so much was how carrie would always open up show saying something like, "in new york," "wherever you go in new york," blah blah blah in new york"

its like come on now, all those seasons and that is like every episode opener

:rolleyes:

Well as someone said earlier "New York is the fifth character of the show". The city plays an important role and I don't mind the openings.
I'm not from New York, I actually have never been there, but I will someday.
I love Sex an the City. The characters are fun. Carrie is sometimes very immature and ridiculous, but many tv characters are that way. It would be so boring if there were just normal people in movies and series.
If you look at the OC now, or Desperate Housewives, or Friends - how weird are these people!!! :shock: :lol:
And as a Non-New Yorker I have to say that I don't assume all New Yorkers are like the SatC characters. But still it gives a little impression of that big city lifestyle and it shows beautiful pictures of New York and makes me wanna experience this city for real!
So I just take it as what it is - a fun tv show. And when I come home late from work and I just wanna relax on the couch with a cappuccino I put in a SatC dvd. It makes me laugh and the outfits are stunning and crazy. Who cares that a normal person with thesame job could never afford it? It's not real life and that is what makes it so much fun! :heart:

"I told him to take his d*** outta my a**, or Im gonna s*** on it!" (the tranny outside Samantha's apartment)
"Smoking is fabulous!" (Stanford in Carrie's bedroom)

Two fave SATC quotes!

Well, I think the show is great. Yes, it can be ridiculous, even embarassing if you are watching it with your significant other, but it can address some real issues in relationships. I mean, some of the boyfriends these women had are really out there in our real world, with all of their weird quirks and fetishes. And a lot of the relationship issues you see Carrie typing as the subject of her columns are indeed questions that need answering. Men & women are always playing games and breaking each other's hearts. It is truly a girlie show, but if men watch it (and I know men that have given in to its quirky little charm, who are totally straight by the way) and these men have learned a thing or two about how the female mind can dramatize and be ultra sensitive when it comes to our insecurities in relationships. I think it is enlightening for men. I love the fashion and the confidence these women can exude, especially Samantha and Miranda. Yes, it is JUST A SHOW...but it did prove to be a marketable show to the masses. There has to be abnormal storylines to keep you hooked for 6 seasons. It dealt with real issues too like Cancer and Gay issues, the transition from big city career woman to motherhood in suburbia. And no, NYC has so much more to offer than 4 female characters in an HBO show. It is the crossroad of the world....an abundance of culture, entertainment and the ultimate in American opportunity. I live next door in Connecticut and frequent the city often. It is the greatest city in the world and people who have never been there can only acquaint themselves with New York by watching TV shows such as SaTC. It is sad, it is kind of ignorant..so just ignore it. They can't relate. As for Sarah Jessica...she is OK. Cute little body, her face is beautiful in its own way...she has gorgeous blue eyes and she may not be the classic american beauty, but she truly pulled it off on the show and I find her to be bubbly and like her perfume, "LOVELY". Uniqueness & flaws are part of everyone's beauty. She is a wonderful and talented actress, as well. Hope you all agree. THANKS!:heart:

have to admit i find carrie bradshaw quite irriatating but love her shoe's thou

purexelegance said:
i think sex and the city doesn't convey an accurate portrayal of american women...

because all american women aren't so annoying and so complicated like that.

we don't have that much drama...

dulci, i'm a new yorker and all new yorkers aren't like that. i think sex and the city is a bad portrayal of us.

But it's a show, for cryin' outloud. Isn't television supposed to be entertainment? A world that you can slip into because it's unlike your own? I wouldn't watch TV if it was anything like my life. That's why there has to be drama and complex characters... Once you think about it, most television shows aren't accurate depictions of anybody...

Does anybody have the updated Sex and the City book (Kiss and Tell).. I browsed through it very briefly when I was at Urban Outfitters about a month ago.. I bring it up because the scene of Carrie and Big in the lake reminded me of the section I did read in the book. I'm thinking of picking it up... any comments on it?

i don't like this tv show because there are too many vulgar scenes, but i find kirsten davis very beautiful but her character it's not really interesting, sarah jessica parker is without charisma and her character is immature for her age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->