Shoes For College?

dramatique

Reaction score
All through high school I wore heels because the school I go to is a small private school and a very dressy dress code. Now I am going to a BIG public university and so I think my stilletoes will no longer have a cherished place in my wardrobe or on my feet. For those of you who are still in college, please tell me what would be a practical choice to wear. I am have some sneakers but I am really not keen on wearing sneakers everyday. I am been trying to put my hands on some pretty ballet flats but my size 5 - 5.5 feet will not let them stay on. I am not a fan of flip-flops I believe they only belong on the beach but I don't mind split-toes as long as they are reasonably dressy. Does anyone have any ideas of what I might wear and where I might be able to find them at? ALso please something that might fit a poor college student's budget. I know, I know, I am very picky :ninja: Thank you all in advance! :flower:

A good pair of Mary Janes should do the trick, although it depends on your fashion sense, of course. Personally, I wear these ones nearly every day. Really comfy, and they make me feel sort of pretty too. They've lasted me for more than a year now, and get me through most of the seasons. Also, they work because I am definately not a running shoes person! :rolleyes:

If you get the right size, ballet flats WILL stay on... try ebay for strange tiny sizes.

I really like Yoga shoes, they're like sneakers but not quite that ugly. I still prefer heels though. :(

I wear most of the time converse& ballet flats but also shoes with 'normal' heels, but no high heels.
I'd say wear whatever you like, I admit highheels might look a bit out of place, but then there is such a lot of other beuatiful shoes :smile:

trade your high heels in for kitten heels.. there are tons of cute styles out there.

tons of people wear stilettos to class. Also tons wear birkenstocks and doc martins and vans and flip flops.

some dont wear shoes at all.

Just be you and wear whatever you feel comfortable in. You probably wont know until you've walked around a huge campus for a few weeks anyway.

For your first week, I'd say wear the most comfortable shoes you own, you never realize how much walking you'll be doing until you are running between classes.

For school... ...Diesel shoes do the trick for me. :wink:

I'd love to wear stilettos to school, but with all the running around I do at school, I'd probably ruin them......

Fendi has a nice mirrored wedge this season.

Or perhaps a Louis heel might work. But it seems stilettoes could still work for college.

Never wear flip-flops or flat sandals. Never.

Originally posted by Incroyable@Aug 2 2004, 08:44 PM
Fendi has a nice mirrored wedge this season.

Or perhaps a Louis heel might work. But it seems stilettoes could still work for college.

Never wear flip-flops or flat sandals. Never.
[snapback]320820[/snapback]​
Umm, may I ask when you were last at college? :huh: Slightly impractical, don't you think...?

I just bought 2 pairs of kitten heels one in black another in silver. Still look for flats that fit my feet. Another problem with my feet is that I don't have a heel to speak of so the backs of them have a hard time holding on. Not to mention my left foot is significantly smaller (about a half size) and while it's not noticable in slides and sandals, it's ridiculous in pumps and shoes because it's so obvious then.

I like to alternate between flip flops (with a wedge heel), kitten heels, flats, and some of my super comfortable stilettos, which is one of my major concerns these days when I'm buying stilettos...I guess it works for the rest of my life as well! But my current favourite pair of heels is a pair of Vera Wang black satin slingbacks that I can wear for the whole day, walking around my Uni's campus without pain at all.

I've discovered that I'm really very accustomed to wearing things with some sort of heel, so walking in flats strikes me as odd, so I don't wear flats that often - even my flip flops need a wedge heel (the Old Navy ones), so...which is why I need a heel on most of my shoes, along with comfortability. :smile:

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Aug 2 2004, 08:47 PM
Umm, may I ask when you were last at college? :huh: Slightly impractical, don't you think...?
[snapback]320826[/snapback]​

My high school is similar to a college layout in that it is outdoors, and one has to walk about fairly a lot to get to classes. That being I wore mostly Gucci ankle boots with a heel.

And no, I am not a girl.

I detest shoes without heels. They hurt me. I recall during PE wearing flat tennis shoes really made my feet sore. And my legs.

Of course that just may be my experience as I prefer highly fitted shirts, trousers, than most. And pointed shoes.

Make sure you know the campus and area bit first, I'd say. For example, the Wellesley campus is all on a hill. RISD is a hill, and Brown is right next to it (ie, similar situation). My friend was at Oxford this summer and had about six lights of stairs from the ground floor to her dorm room.

Figure out whether there are many hills or even many flights of stairs where you will be living. Then you can be sure to get comfy shoes. Then again, maybe you're ok with walking on steps or hills in heels. The important part is knowng about them in advance so you're at least prepared.

Maybe wait until after the first couple of weeks to buy all of your new pairs? You might end up not needing any new ones at all.

Originally posted by eloes@Aug 21 2004, 09:35 PM
Make sure you know the campus and area bit first, I'd say. For example, the Wellesley campus is all on a hill. RISD is a hill, and Brown is right next to it (ie, similar situation). My friend was at Oxford this summer and had about six lights of stairs from the ground floor to her dorm room.

Figure out whether there are many hills or even many flights of stairs where you will be living. Then you can be sure to get comfy shoes. Then again, maybe you're ok with walking on steps or hills in heels. The important part is knowng about them in advance so you're at least prepared.

Maybe wait until after the first couple of weeks to buy all of your new pairs? You might end up not needing any new ones at all.
[snapback]341338[/snapback]​

VERY good idea. I.E., Cal Berk is a lot of hills, whereas my current Uni's campus is very flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->