Shopping phobia

gius said:
I was thinking also maybe you feel guilty because you know you don't need it
And, have you ever heard of 'retail therapy'?
It's when people shop to make themselves feel better.
They're usually trying to fill an emotional void or something :ninja:

My mother does this:lol: I catch her often if I am with her shopping. She tells me she must never leave a shop without buying something. She thinks it's a must! :ninja: What kind of insane thinking is this

:blush: hmm...I do this; in fact, I have not posted here in a while because I felt that it led me to impulse buy more often; although, in hindsight there are other reasons I impulse shop (none of which were related to tFS).

I have recently thought about the way I shop. I used to spend a lot of time to it and buy a lot of items which weren't good quality or something I truly desired. I used to spend hours shopping and when I went abroad the thing I was looking forward the most were the shopping sprees. This ended up with me having a closet of ill-fitting, random high street clothes and a lot of stress over shopping. I was stressing about did I forget some shop where I could have found the "perfect piece". I was stressing whether I shopped enough ...

I don't think I like shopping that much anymore. I try to be very selective when buying clothes, and never buying anything I didn't plan on buying. I try to buy few pieces, but those in good quality. I avoid visiting shops from which I usually do not find anything, and I avoid shopping when the sales are on or it's the rush hour. I hate all the advertising "buy, buy, buy" and I hate crowded shops. I limit all my shopping to three hours max, and if I feel stressed at all I stop. If I get stressed or tired my concentration fails and I end up spending a lot of money in things I do not need or like.

I try to be very minimalistic in the way I shop. The items I purchase need to fill three categories: 1. Do I need it? 2. Is it good quality, will it last? 3. Do I adore it?

I find just harshly limiting shopping helps a lot. Just say "no".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saucednoods
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->