So what Happens to those Haute Couture Creations?

all these shows people are talking about .. does anyone have any links ?? :flower: x

^^^ I recommend frillr.com for couture videos. Just search through the pictures and check. :smile:

Also, check on the main page at "catwalk videos" and it displays quite a large list!

In my opinion, couture is a much different type of clothing because it simly is artful and sweet and is about form over function. Whoever begins believing that clothes should be more about function is not viewing fashion as art anymore.
But the sad thing is, it's starting to fade away and the artform is dispappearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know which fashion houses actually meet the haute couture requirement today? The term seems to be thrown around way too liberally so sometimes it gets confusing.

Does anyone know which fashion houses actually meet the haute couture requirement today? The term seems to be thrown around way too liberally so sometimes it gets confusing.

I found this very informative article you might enjoy: http://lifestyle.indianetzone.com/fashion/1/fashion_design.htm

For those that would rather not read it, here is a synopsys. It lays out the criteria that needs to be covered by those houses aspiring to belong to the Syndical Chamber of Haute Couture in Paris and therefore, be able to label a line as "Haute Couture". Apparently the requirements differ depending on how established and experienced the house is.

According to the author of the article an incomplete list of all the houses that meet the requirements includes Chanel, Christian Dior, Nina Ricci, Versace, Armani and Gucci, Jean Paul, John Galliano, Valentino and Gianni, Moschino, Escada Louis Feraud, Hermes, Hugo Boss, Yves Saint Laurent, Pierre Cardin, Dolce & Gabbana, Ralph Lauren, Fendi, Leonardi Emilio Pucci, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Sergio Rossi, Dunhill, DKNY, Brooks Brothers.

It is not a very coherent list, since most of those are designers and not houses, and most of them do not have couture lines. Nevertheless, it is an interesting article.

Enjoy :wink:

And then of course, there is the other thing.. that everything worth wearing has already been invented. That for the last forty or so years and for all to come, it will be a question of RE-invention. And that everything that is, in deed, invented, is rather a "forced push" that does not come off as something natural, thus has absolutely no chance to persevere and remain.
this is not entirley true
there is fasbric innovations, fit innovations going on everywhere.
i dont think fashion can be as basic as it used to be but there are definately innovations still going on in the fashion industry

tech fabric is one of the biggest growing feilds in the industry i think...

I've always thought that if I was a celebrity or rich enough I'd buy my own dresses not wear them and have them given to me for free. I find that aspect so weird.

^^but if you think about it, that would make A LOT of dresses! If you need to go around the world to promote, lets say, your latest movie, you just dont have the time to go to paris do so many fittings, wait until they fit them properly for you, pay an obscene amount of money, wear them once, and not being able to wearing them again just because of what the press may say...

in conclusion, i think it kinda makes sense they just borrow!

^ surely you can only borrow h/c if your the same size as the model.. no point in making a made to measure dress only for you to give it back .. all that effort for no money etc. plus h/c is a cost anyways .. designers make no profit from it

True.

I think I just view it differently , I'd actually want to wear something over and over and then keep it , I'd view it as an investment but I understand the limitations of it. The interview with Daphne Guinness in March's Vogue is interesting , even she feels guilty for the expense !

^ surely you can only borrow h/c if your the same size as the model.. no point in making a made to measure dress only for you to give it back .. all that effort for no money etc. plus h/c is a cost anyways .. designers make no profit from it

Well, haute couture raises the brand awareness, it's an excellent PR which in turn increases sales revenue of the ready-to-wear and cosmetic/perfume lines of the house or designer carrying it. So there is collateral profit induced by haute couture, which more than makes up for any costs that are associated with its production.

this is not entirley true
there is fasbric innovations, fit innovations going on everywhere.
i dont think fashion can be as basic as it used to be but there are definately innovations still going on in the fashion industry

tech fabric is one of the biggest growing feilds in the industry i think...

I think only time will show if tech fabrics would be here to stay or are marely a passing trend..

^how are they a passing trend? its the future of fashion...
if fits and styles are all discovered then what else are we going to innovate?

plus h/c is a cost anyways .. designers make no profit from it

afaik that's not true... the sales reports you can get from chanel and dior show their HC is profitable... maybe i'm reading it wrong, but i remember karl saying that couture is paying off also directly, otherwise they wouldn't do it...

^how are they a passing trend? its the future of fashion...
if fits and styles are all discovered then what else are we going to innovate?

My opinion is that designers don't innovate, that they don't invent, that they re-invent, as I had previously stated. All the new stuff that's truly innovative to me (personal opinion) seems rather contrived and (again personal opinion) will not stand the test of time.

My opinion is that designers don't innovate, that they don't invent, that they re-invent, as I had previously stated. All the new stuff that's truly innovative to me (personal opinion) seems rather contrived and (again personal opinion) will not stand the test of time.
Um, are you serious?
You woudl rather designers just redid fits and trends then forge new paths in fashion? Thats absolutely rediculous.

afaik that's not true... the sales reports you can get from chanel and dior show their HC is profitable... maybe i'm reading it wrong, but i remember karl saying that couture is paying off also directly, otherwise they wouldn't do it...

i didnt know that thank you .. we were just always taught in school they only did it for pr .. the press.. showing off skills etc rather then profit :0

Um, are you serious?
You woudl rather designers just redid fits and trends then forge new paths in fashion? Thats absolutely rediculous.

Why are you taking offense? This is only a discussion. And I didn't stress that what I'm expressing is simply my own veiw on things for no reason. What sort of conclusions are you jumping to? That I would rather???!? I would rather live in Mauritius if we're talking about something that I would rather do. When it comes to fashion, I simply stated my opinion on how the fashion evolves, in circle, not in a straight line, repeating trends and re-inventing itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->