Softening Tulle

Meg

inspired contemplation
Reaction score
I've decided I still adore this one A.V.Hash shirt I saw once and it was made out of THE softest tulle and grey cotton. How would I go about softening a regular cotton or tulle? Is there a solution I buy or just soak them in water or what? Please help!

see... tulle is actually a type of plastic, the texture of it is determined by what other fibers are woven in with it (ie lycra, spandex that gives it stretch) but also the thickness of the weave.

its not like you can wash it in soap and it will become soft. you have to start off with a fine mesh tulle that has a lot of fibers in it. I have even seen some tulle that has silk, casmere, and other fibers combined in with the plastic that give it a different texture and feel.

interesting. But seeing as I live in a hole and want to experiment doing this myself is there any possible way to soften tulle? or cotton? :unsure: Because I can't find really soft tulle here nor can I weave fibres in. clearly.

Originally posted by mehg@Jul 8th, 2004 - 10:24 pm
interesting. But seeing as I live in a hole and want to experiment doing this myself is there any possible way to soften tulle? or cotton? :unsure: Because I can't find really soft tulle here nor can I weave fibres in. clearly.
um...no... :ninja:

sorry...the tulle is either soft or it's not...you can't treat it to become soft...

the wrap vest i got by dries at liberty is silk tulle...sooooooooooo soft...
but it's the fabric...not a treatment...(i still haven't worn that damn thing... :wacko: :angry:)

think of something else...like some sort of cotton mesh... :flower:

GAH! There goes that plan. can I soften cotton? Or would it just be easier to buy soft cotton? still living in a hole. does a cotton mesh look like tulle? :unsure:

Originally posted by mehg@Jul 8th, 2004 - 10:29 pm
GAH! There goes that plan. can I soften cotton? Or would it just be easier to buy soft cotton? still living in a hole. does a cotton mesh look like tulle? :unsure:
cotton mesh could resemble tulle...just go to some fabric store...or buy something cheap and cut it up...

work with what you've got...think of it as a challenge...most designers have to work within a very limited budget and have to make due...

you can figure something out... B) :flower:

you have good taste...

haha thanks softie. I'm going to the fabric store tomorrow so I will just search and search. Thanks all :flower:

hm... you can soften cotton by putting it in a bucket with fabric softener and leaving it in there overnight.

warning though. fabric softeners actually break down the fibers, so the fabric will not actually become SOFTER at the thickness it is at, but rather will become fluffier, giving the illusion of softness, but is actually just ripping the fibers apart, ending up with a thinner material that is more loosely woven.

btw, this is the problem I am noticing with the thin knit tops now.. (ie C&C) its why they like... get holes like no tommorrow.

Ya I know you can soften cotton with a small amount of bleach and salt mixed in with water and left 24 hours. but be aware that this is actually ruining the fibers and therefore will probally develop small holes over time.
Otherwise you can just buy soft cotton. the best cotton can sometimes feel like cashmere (sorta!) the softest kinds are Egyptian Cotton, or Pima Cotton, which is the american equivalent.
You can buy alot of fabric online. just do a google search for "Pima cotton fabric"

btw, this is the problem I am noticing with the thin knit tops now.. (ie C&C) its why they like... get holes like no tommorrow. [/QUOTE]
hahaha....which is why i don't waste my money...mercerized cotton is the best...very thin and durable... :flower:

michael stars and la cosa... :wink:

how odd I wore my C&C like nobody's business and it has no holes :unsure: though I understand the breaking down of the fibres as my mother has overbleached things and thus they got holes.

My jeans got holes the easiest. Damn you crotch! :angry: :lol:

I want to be able to touch and feel the fabric before I buy it online...but I'll be in toronto by the end of summer so I should be able to wait and then check there.

^rofl! my friend Laur is forever complaining about that! all her jeans break down in the upper thigh...

i think it has more to do with friction from walking than anything else.

just see if the online site has a good return policy. then you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->