Stella mcCartney's 'ethical' accessory line

kimair said:
i wonder why the price points continue to be so high if they are using alternative materials?

exactly my thoughs..

what i really appreciate here, is Stella having the strength to continue being true to her ethics
a great example and inspiration :heart:

^ Def..... ..but then again I am quite against a few of her other collaborations..... like H&M collabo, Adidas.... not ethical AT ALL....

^I agree, pretty sketchy.

I'm glad that ethical is in quotes in the title of this thread. These items are, of course, petroleum based. I do think it's excellent that there is this alternative out there, however, so that those who do find these products more ethical have a stylish option.

I think recycling clothing (eg "vintage" leather shoes) is the most ethical-I don't think it's "convenient" at all. But that is a personal choice. The best I can hope for is to know as much as I can and make educated decisions.

Hallelujah! I've been waiting for a Stella shoe/bag collection and finally designer handbags that are non leather.

The boots and shoes are very cute, but I heard that since she used non-leather items, they aren't very comfortable to walk in. I have yet to buy a piece from Stella's collection, but I agree that it doesn't seem "right" to price things expensively even using alternative relatively cheaper materials.

I loove the boots and high heels. Stella is such a fantastic designer, I love her things.

Do you guys honestly think it's smart business to price her items at high street prices? She wants to bring more ethical choices to the DESIGNER scene.....I highly doubt she's looking to shut down operations or drag down her name into Target and Wal-Marts. :rolleyes: Come on now...

Also, designer items are so ridiculously priced, why are we criticizing these items as being overpriced? Does it actually cost $5000 to make a Gucci bag? Or $300 for a pair of Seven jeans? No. It might cost more than regular mass produced items, but the fact of the matter is, a large part of that price is PROFIT rather than MANUFACTURING COST. The materials she uses might cost less themselves, but there are many factors I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with such as designing, sourcing, constructing, etc. Because it's different, it's bound to cost more...perhaps not in the actual materials, but in return on investment, marketing, etc. And honestly, I don't mind that these items cost the same as other designer items. I'd rather pay the same amount for something more ethical than something equally overpriced that is at a complete disregard of animal, human, and environmental rights.

roppal222 Vintage fur is actually the most ethical choice. It takes up to a gallon of petroleum to produce a fake fur coat. It is not biodegradable. Although it is certainly better than killing animals for their fur in terms of human rights, it is not at all environmentally friendly. You are one less person in terms of market demand for new fur (both real and fake) when you buy vintage. It's not that hard to understand.

195m.jpg

197m.jpg

191m.jpg

198m.jpg

194m.jpg

193m.jpg

192m.jpg

190m.jpg

199m.jpg

189m.jpg

Stella's fall 06 accessories
(style.com)

its pretty ironic that she's using PVC in her shoes and accessories line. PVC is so bad for the environment it may be banned by the EU.

i think it would be much smarter for stella to make an animal friendly line at lower price points.

and i think the collaboration with adidas has stuff all made in china. im not sure how "cruelty free" that is...

Quite a few of the shoes above look very similiar to Chloe and Balenciaga e.g. the wooden soled wedges and the black shoe boots...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moddydoo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->