Stevia

*Happiness*

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of or used Stevia?

Its this natural sweetener that is really good. I bought some at Trader Joe's and its really good.

I got this from www.SteviaCanada.com

What is stevia? A shrub native to Paraguay, used for over 1500 years by the native Guarani Indians. A herb with an abundance of positive effects. The whole leaf contains numerous phytonutrients and trace minerals and is much sweeter than sugar with out negative effects. It can sweeten any drink with no calories, no carbohydrates, no tooth decay and is diabetic safe. Stevia nourishes the pancreas and does not raise blood glucose levels, making it not only safe for diabetics but also beneficial. Since there are no calories or carbohydrates, stevia is an excellent weight loss aid. It does not contains the negative side effects reported with the use of artificial sweeteners including aspartame. Adding stevia to your diet on a regular basis, it has also been reported that it can help minimize hunger sensations, cravings for sweets or fatty foods, aide in digestion, decrease hypertension without effecting normal blood pressure, stabilize blood glucose levels, shorten recovery time from cold and flu and aide in addictions to tobacco and alcohol. When used in toothpaste or mouthwash, cavities and gum disease is reduced due to its antibacterial properties.

Stevia Canada provides you with a variety of stevia products for online ordering. We only use high quality stevia and we do not use alcohol in any product. We offer customer service, world wide shipping and low prices. Be sure to visit our popular recipes section and try stevia cookies, cakes, breads, muffins, jams and more desserts. In North America, stevia is sold as a dietary supplement for overall improved health.

yes...i have used it...
you only need a very tiny amount...
as it is very potent...

as with everything....
it is good in moderation...
as for it becoming the next 'diet fad' or 'weight loss aid'...
that is my fear....

nothing should be used to replace a healthy, balanced diet..
exercise, good rest, etc..
but it is a very useful sweetener IMO...
for coffee, teas, desserts, etc

adorefaith said:
yes...i have used it...
you only need a very tiny amount...
as it is very potent...

as with everything....
it is good in moderation...
as for it becoming the next 'diet fad' or 'weight loss aid'...
that is my fear....

nothing should be used to replace a healthy, balanced diet..
exercise, good rest, etc..
but it is a very useful sweetener IMO...
for coffee, teas, desserts, etc

Yeah, it is potent! :lol: I used a teaspoon or so in a pitcher of iced tea and the tea was NASTY! :sick: I told my friend what I did...and she laughed at me and said you only have to use very very little...:lol: :blush:

i made the same mistake...
:lol:..
you learn very quickly...!..
:wink:

happiness...
i think your topic is fine..
as long as we dont start 'diagnosing'...
or offering stevia, for example, as a valid treatment for anything...

but as far as i can see, discussing it is interesting and useful...
just like there are discussions on splenda, etc..
:smile:

We noticed body and soul was becoming a health and diet advice forum and a lawyer adviced us that it was not a good idea for members who were not qualified to give out advice or treatment. All diet issues are questionable so I just thought it would be a good idea to post this notice. :flower:

model_mom said:
We noticed body and soul was becoming a health and diet advice forum and a lawyer adviced us that it was not a good idea for members who were not qualified to give out advice or treatment. All diet issues are questionable so I just thought it would be a good idea to post this notice. :flower:

oh, oky. No problem. :smile: Thanks for the info. :flower:

I enjoy stevia very much. It is great to add to tea (or coffee if you drink it). I get the little packets and use maybe half of a packet for each cup. I have been wanting to integrate it into some cooking and baking but haven't yet. I will have to look up some recipes.

I use the liquid stevia in root beer flavor (a few drops) with club soda over ice and make my brother a "soda" that is much healthier than traditional soda's that are filled with sugar:woot: He loves it and is always asking for one:D When we're out eating I tell him if he doesn't order a soda I'll make him a root beer when we get home, as a incentive^_^

My experience with it has been a little different. I eat VERY healthily. Organic as much as possible. All kinds of 'weird,natural' things. Absolutely no artificial sweetners, corn syrup, trans fats, hydrogenated fats, etc. I sweeten exclusively with molassas, honey, or regular sugar, usually organic. I don't have it often, but was excited to try replacing the occasional sweetner in my tea.

I HATED it. And yes, I used just the smallest bit, and tried over time to get used to it. To me it tastes worse than Nutrasweet - a sicky cold flavor, don't know how to describe it. I'm going to stick with my sugar.

On the other hand, my fiance drinks coffee with sugar all day at work, and I bought him a box of stevia packets, premeasured for coffee. He loves it, and says it's so much better than sugar. But he has a distorted sense of taste, literally. He was born without the ability to smell so everything tastes to him as it would to someone who has a bad cold.

I really wish I could use it, but it's just :sick: Like the sweetner equivilient of that fake butter garbage that purports to be natural but has 50 ingredients.

I generally like most everything that is edible, but this I could not get used to. I bought a big canister of it at Whole Foods and used it maybe twice. Too bitter for my liking.

Personally, I'd rather have a beverage plain than with stevia. It changes the taste instead of enhancing the sweetness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->