Tamara Mellon Leaves Jimmy Choo & Rumored To Be Launching Own Brand

tarsha

Reaction score
Big changes are afoot at Jimmy Choo. The company is celebrating a milestone 15th anniversary this year–but in a surprising turn of events, Choo co-founder and chief creative officer Tamara Mellon–who was also the face of the brand–is leaving the company.

Mellon isn’t the only one leaving, either. Joshua Shulman, the CEO, has also resigned, WWD is reporting. This all comes in the wake of the footwear company’s acquisition by Labelux last May. Mellon couldn’t be reached for comment, but she’ll apparently finish out the month. Shulman emphasized that his resignation was independent of Mellon’s, telling WWD, “We’re not going off together [to pursue a new project].” Footwear News speculates that perhaps Mellon will start a new brand–she seemed amenable to the idea in an earlier interview.

While the Telegraph reported that Labelux was unhappy with the condition of Jimmy Choo upon acquiring it, Shulman told FN, “From a financial point of view, we grew the business significantly. And we transitioned Jimmy Choo from a niche brand focused on the U.S. and Europe to a [global] lifestyle player.” The current Jimmy Choo creative team will stay on board to run the design side of the company.

It’s the end of an era, for sure, and always interesting to watch how a company changes when it loses a founder.

Well, that didn’t take long. A day after news that Tamara Mellon was leaving Jimmy Choo broke, there’s speculation that Mellon will launch her own lifestyle brand. And funding may already be in place for such a venture, WWD is reporting.

While Mellon’s ambitions aren’t portrayed in a very flattering light–WWD‘s source told the paper that “money and a high profile are important to her”–it’s understandable that she would want to branch out on her own. She had to sell her shares in Jimmy Choo and become a salaried employee, which can be hard to swallow when you’ve been the one in charge.

Mellon obviously has a taste for luxury, so the speculation is that she’ll do a lifestyle brand in the style of Tom Ford or Tory Burch. The question is whether or not she can bring something different to the table in a market that’s getting crowded with logos and expensive perfume and lipstick.

fashionista

Well that is kind of aggravating. Choo actually felt like one of the freshest companies in its market to reach a "Staple Status". While not branching out too far.

At least both of them are freed up to peruse new goals.

i guess we'll see more clothes from her then? can't say i hated those party basics she designed for H&M.

I don't understand why she leaves to create another brand. Wasn't Choo already her own label?

^ I belive she has sold it, but reamined as creative officer, she got paid a lot of money for staying, and selling it, but i guess she wants a brand all of her own now! But the way she has left this brand is very strange to me....

So first she was the owner then sell the brand and now she's out because she wants to create her own brand? Kinda stupid...

the new owners probably wanted to steer the company in a direction she wasn't comfortable with? use your brains people

^^ Maybe ... but the fact is she's out and the question is whats next for Jimmy Choo?

since she's leaving, we will prob see the brand go in a direction that she obviously wouldn't have wanted it. probably going to expand, go downmarket...all the signs of a greedy corporation more concerned about the bottom line than the actual core product and customer.

Heres a post on Her tumblr (adayathrill.com)

I guess that was a nice way to say goodbye

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->