Tatler July 2018 : Nicole Kidman by Victor Demarchelier

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
A revamped edition of Tatler comes this month, the first issue under new EIC Richard Dennen:

She looks very sophisticated and beautiful. They retouched her just right, she looks her age.

Oh wow, LOVE the new redesign! Vintage done right. And they've just about delivered the most classic and elegant cover of Kidman we've seen in a some time.

Anxious to get my copy!

Usually when my subscription copy comes through the door, I have a quick flick, and then consign it to a pile (I was about to say 'the pile' but let's not pretend I don't have several towering skyscrapers of magazines going on).

This certainly makes me look at the magazine anew, and if it wants to take on the challenge of being the new Vanity Fair, I'm all for it.

Not a bad cover but she looks plastic.

Wow, this is exciting! The magazine hasn't been relevant for years so hopefully this will revive it.

A great redesign for them, is it an original shoot or a reprint does anyone know? Seems like a while since they've featured a big celebrity. Not that I have ever purchased an issue of this magazine LOL

^ This was originally shot for them, which surprised me that a star of Kidman's level would bother to sit for Tatler. But it is stunning, such a beautiful portrait of her.

Interested to see where he takes Tatler, it was in serious need of change!

A great redesign for them, is it an original shoot or a reprint does anyone know? Seems like a while since they've featured a big celebrity. Not that I have ever purchased an issue of this magazine LOL

Lol, it's an exclusive. Nicole did a Insta vid for Richard. The last big celeb they had was Léa Seydoux in 2017. Maybe this marks the end of socialites getting the cover, who knows.

I've been buying it over the past few months because Tigerrouge wouldn't stop posting the covers on here. And the lines always read somewhat comical. Once you accept it for what it is, it's not that bad, lol.

Keen to see how Richard will shape the magazine. We've seen so many splashy redesigns - Vogue with Edward, Elle with Anne Marie, now this. Wish GQ and Marie Claire would follow suit.

And I posted the covers because they kept sending me super-cheap subscription deals. Paying £1 per issue is a great inducement to sign up, and while the issues are never super-thick, they still have enough glossy ad campaigns to keep me happy with my purchase, and articles about stuff that I don't see elsewhere.

As a magazine, Tatler has had its moments - for anyone who loves a good cover, if you look back through its archives, you may be surprised at some of the images it's produced. Don't go thinking it's always been recycled shots of Kate Middleton and whatever school-leaver/socialite has dropped into the office that week.

And I posted the covers because they kept sending me super-cheap subscription deals. Paying £1 per issue is a great inducement to sign up, and while the issues are never super-thick, they still have enough glossy ad campaigns to keep me happy with my purchase, and articles about stuff that I don't see elsewhere.

Are there outside subscription services or free subscriptions for UK magazines? For US mags, it's pretty easy to find most any mainstream monthly magazine for under $5 for a subscription. There's also plenty of websites where you can get free subscriptions.

Sounds to me like he's promising more celebs which for Tatler would actually be a bit of a boost....

Exclusive: Richard Dennen Marks New Era at Tatler
As his first issue hits newsstands, new Tatler editor in chief Richard Dennen talks to WWD in an exclusive interview about his vision for the glossy.

By Natalie Theodosi on May 31, 2018

LONDON — When Richard Dennen was named Tatler’s new editor in chief, he came into the role with a very clear idea of what the monthly glossy should stand for: It was to be “impossibly chic,” with a high dose of glamour, a nod to the past and a modern, more international outlook at what high society looks like today.

“What’s really exciting in the 21st century is to have these old heritage brands and to be able to update them into something which is very modern and cool — and one of the cool things about Tatler is that it’s so old and has this incredible heritage of culture, politics, high society and fashion,” said Dennen in an interview at his minimalist, all-white office at Vogue House. It’s decorated with a poster of one of his favorite Tatler covers from the past, shot by Norman Parkinson.

Dennen, who studied at St. Andrews University at the same time as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and began his career at Tatler under Isabella Blow, is endlessly fascinated by the history of the magazine, which was founded in 1709 and is the oldest enduring title in the world. He calls it the original social media; “It was the original media platform that talked about the social world. I thought that says it all, that Tatler was doing it before anyone else,” he added.

For his first issue, which hits newsstands today with Nicole Kidman on the cover, he marries the past with his vision of the future.

Kidman — in a Giambattista Valli couture dress — makes a case for the enduring appeal of old Hollywood glamour. She features in a pared-back, barely airbrushed shot by Victor Demarchelier, which mirrors the Parkinson image that sits behind Dennen’s desk.

“One of the things that I felt strongly about was that Tatler had to have very recognizable faces on the cover to really take you in. And here’s my favorite Hollywood actress, who has also been brilliant at playing an Englishwoman,” said Dennen. “That’s not to say that we can’t launch new people.” In that case, he said, they may have a bigger back story. “It might be a new ‘It’ girl. I like a mix.”

He applies the same mixed approach when it comes to the stories inside the magazine, which range from politics to couture to London’s best members’ clubs, in a bid to reflect the conversations taking place at high-society dinner tables. They’re mainly about “Brexit and the new Annabel’s,” according to Dennen.

“What’s special about Tatler is that it can be about anything. It’s got a shoe firmly planted in the fashion world, but it can also report on the most important developments in culture and politics. It’s a magazine about people.”

In the first issue, Sunday Times of London writer Rod Liddle writes about being a Brexiteer in a Remainer world, while the heirs of the Anglo-American Astor family pose at their new Côte d’Azur mansion. Middle Eastern correspondent Bel Trew offers an insider account at what happened inside the Ritz-Carlton in Riyadh, when the hotel was used as a lavish prison last year for high-profile Saudis.

“I really wanted to know if those Princes were ordering room service,” said Dennen.

He said he wants his Tatler to employ wit in a sophisticated way and develop an aura of authority. “I feel strongly that you can get wit across in a really sophisticated way, and I think visual wit is really important. I didn’t want it to be puerile, or silly but rather something beautiful that both a grandmother and granddaughter can pick up. So nothing rude,” he added.

Dennen is introducing men’s content with his first issue, which features a men’s wear shoot inspired by Rupert Everett’s new film on Oscar Wilde, “The Happy Prince,” and an interview where Everett discusses gay relationships.

Elsewhere, he offers his take on today’s young high society, which puts rugby stars like Maro Itoje and restaurateurs such as Ire Hassan-Odukale next to aristocrats, including Philippa Cadogan, also a new contributor to the title.

The days of assuming status through inheritance and posing in tweed in old mansions are over, according to Dennen: “In the 21st century, it’s not just enough to be the great-grandchild of someone who was in Tatler before. We are a high-status magazine, but what I wanted to recognize is that we get status in many different ways today.”

As he establishes his vision for a more international Tatler, Dennen is also aiming to broaden the magazine’s audience and rework the web site into a buzzy, stylish destination that keeps up to speed with the pace of the Internet. He started by reporting live on the royal wedding with his team earlier this month, giving readers the scoop on all things Meghan Markle — whom he claims to be obsessed with — but also on all the aristocratic wedding guests.

“I see that I actually edit two different publications. One is this beautiful print edition that sits around for a month, and the other is this very buzzy, bright, stylish web site that’s much more fast-paced. It can grow to be a mix of high-society-meets-E-Entertainment, that’s where we can go with online,” he added.

Source: WWD.com

I actually like this. There's something regal about it

Cover Story:

TATLER. CO.UK

very beautiful and classy. This hair always looks more natural than the blonde on her.

My subscription copy arrived today, although I see on the newsstand that Tatler's running its usual summer promotion of a free pair of plastic sunglasses, so some things never change.

Inside, there's been a redesign where the photographic content is still old-style Tatler, but the layout now looks more like... that effect that's now going on in UK Vogue and Vanity Fair where classic fonts and white spaces are being used, but the elements don't work together as well as they should.

There are too many fonts being used in certain sections, and sometimes the sizing between them is off, and then you also get a fussy font being used on a noisy background, when clean lines would have worked better.

That aside, I'm going to enjoy looking through this, it's 146 pgs, so not too much to see, but I already love that the end piece is 'Tatler throwback' with a one-page look at an old issue - this time, Victoria Beckham on the November 1997 cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->