Tatler July 2018 : Nicole Kidman by Victor Demarchelier

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, May 29, 2018.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

A revamped edition of Tatler comes this month, the first issue under new EIC Richard Dennen:

2. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

She looks very sophisticated and beautiful. They retouched her just right, she looks her age.

3. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

A celebrity? So this will be a new Vanity Fair?

4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Oh wow, LOVE the new redesign! Vintage done right. And they've just about delivered the most classic and elegant cover of Kidman we've seen in a some time.

Anxious to get my copy!

5. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Usually when my subscription copy comes through the door, I have a quick flick, and then consign it to a pile (I was about to say 'the pile' but let's not pretend I don't have several towering skyscrapers of magazines going on).

This certainly makes me look at the magazine anew, and if it wants to take on the challenge of being the new Vanity Fair, I'm all for it.

6. jal718

jal718 Active Member

Great cover

7. liaa

liaa Active Member

Not a bad cover but she looks plastic.

8. Yohji

Yohji Well-Known Member

Wow, this is exciting! The magazine hasn't been relevant for years so hopefully this will revive it.

9. 333101

333101 Well-Known Member

A great redesign for them, is it an original shoot or a reprint does anyone know? Seems like a while since they've featured a big celebrity. Not that I have ever purchased an issue of this magazine LOL

10. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

^ This was originally shot for them, which surprised me that a star of Kidman's level would bother to sit for Tatler. But it is stunning, such a beautiful portrait of her.

Interested to see where he takes Tatler, it was in serious need of change!

11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Lol, it's an exclusive. Nicole did a Insta vid for Richard. The last big celeb they had was Léa Seydoux in 2017. Maybe this marks the end of socialites getting the cover, who knows.

I've been buying it over the past few months because Tigerrouge wouldn't stop posting the covers on here. And the lines always read somewhat comical. Once you accept it for what it is, it's not that bad, lol.

Keen to see how Richard will shape the magazine. We've seen so many splashy redesigns - Vogue with Edward, Elle with Anne Marie, now this. Wish GQ and Marie Claire would follow suit.

12. tigerrouge

And I posted the covers because they kept sending me super-cheap subscription deals. Paying £1 per issue is a great inducement to sign up, and while the issues are never super-thick, they still have enough glossy ad campaigns to keep me happy with my purchase, and articles about stuff that I don't see elsewhere.

As a magazine, Tatler has had its moments - for anyone who loves a good cover, if you look back through its archives, you may be surprised at some of the images it's produced. Don't go thinking it's always been recycled shots of Kate Middleton and whatever school-leaver/socialite has dropped into the office that week.

13. IndigoHomme

IndigoHomme Well-Known Member

She is plastic

14. axiomatic

axiomatic Active Member

Are there outside subscription services or free subscriptions for UK magazines? For US mags, it's pretty easy to find most any mainstream monthly magazine for under $5 for a subscription. There's also plenty of websites where you can get free subscriptions.

15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like he's promising more celebs which for Tatler would actually be a bit of a boost....

Source: WWD.com

16. MON

MON Well-Known Member

I actually like this. There's something regal about it

17. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Cover Story:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

TATLER. CO.UK

18. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

very beautiful and classy. This hair always looks more natural than the blonde on her.

19. tigerrouge

My subscription copy arrived today, although I see on the newsstand that Tatler's running its usual summer promotion of a free pair of plastic sunglasses, so some things never change.

Inside, there's been a redesign where the photographic content is still old-style Tatler, but the layout now looks more like... that effect that's now going on in UK Vogue and Vanity Fair where classic fonts and white spaces are being used, but the elements don't work together as well as they should.

There are too many fonts being used in certain sections, and sometimes the sizing between them is off, and then you also get a fussy font being used on a noisy background, when clean lines would have worked better.

That aside, I'm going to enjoy looking through this, it's 146 pgs, so not too much to see, but I already love that the end piece is 'Tatler throwback' with a one-page look at an old issue - this time, Victoria Beckham on the November 1997 cover.