Tatler May 2024 : Prince William

tigerrouge

don't look down
Reaction score

Photo credit not provided by Tatler at the time of posting this.

Because the world is full of public figures who supply no end of drama, it can be easy to think of the Royals as another branch of show business, when royal life is an incredibly regimented and frequently tedious state of existence that involves someone living in a palace while simultaneously choosing to wear the same overcoat for fifty years.

The world cannot accept the disappointingly boring reality that a woman having an operation might take a while to recover, and what shot isn't altered in some way in a world full of photo-editing, filters and AI imagery?

As I live in UK I sometimes flip through this magazine when I see it in store. It is literally everything I hate about this country. It’s not just the lack of taste but also the way it ironically reflects the underlying class anxiety in British society - which many people here pretend that it doesn’t exist.

Plus they are like the most boring royal family in the history. Can’t even make out a good story out of them.

As I live in UK I sometimes flip through this magazine when I see it in store. It is literally everything I hate about this country. It’s not just the lack of taste but also the way it ironically reflects the underlying class anxiety in British society - which many people here pretend that it doesn’t exist.

It exists, it always has done - and it always will. Even in countries that have done away with their royal family or eradicated their form of aristocracy, society seems to lapse back into being stratified in some way, where those on top want to stay on top (and not pay taxes), and those on the bottom don't want to be there.

Talk of an equal society always sounds great, but for most people, if they could switch places and be the ones on top, they wouldn't hesitate for a second, and those who say they don't agree with inequality tend to be Labour politicians just spouting the correct rhetoric before eventually getting their knighthood, life peerage etc and taking their seat alongside their Conservative friends.

I don't live on the mainland, so I'm under no illusion that - in Tatler's world - at best, I would be humoured according to the clichés of my country, and at worst, seen as a completely irrelevant and slightly sub-human potato.

Back when the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret were alive, they would have seen me as sh*t on their shoe and acted towards me accordingly. These days, royals have to pretend to have a veneer of populism.

is it an interview? what part of this is fashion? I'm sure he didn't come in and model the latest pieces. All aristocrats are graded on a huge curve when it comes to attractiveness. I clicked thru to see if there was a spread, but maybe that's coming out later....it just seems like a PR push with no fashion content.

What would this issue have to do with fashion? It's Tatler... not GQ or Vogue.

Press should leave this people alone. I hope she gets well, and media don't make her life a living hell as they did with Diana. It's awful to read so many rumors against a woman.

Because the world is full of public figures who supply no end of drama, it can be easy to think of the Royals as another branch of show business, when royal life is an incredibly regimented and frequently tedious state of existence that involves someone living in a palace while simultaneously choosing to wear the same overcoat for fifty years.
Somehow in order to do that relatively stress-free, they need to court public opinion, its approval and that unleashes a very costly, publicly-funded machinery of public image, campaigning, shaking hands as a job, the battle of visibility and who's visible and when, putting out stories through 'close sources', all to constantly stimulate public interest. People don't act in some unfair or callous way by responding to this stimulus and doing what is never a part of the plan but certainly comes with the trade-off: asking questions and speculating, relative to their sociocultural level and the marketing around them. The idea that some characters are more honorable and deserving of privacy, while others in a similar environment deserve to be viciously denigrated, or that opinion should be limited as we deem their appearance on a cover relevant enough to generate discussion just shows that illusion, their one reliable product to sell a sense of stability and identity, works like a charm, and that if only people mirror them in their advertised 'discretion' and solemnity towards their regime and values, that it is possible to decorate themselves with some of their prestige, because they understand the complexity of their pedigree, and that they should look, but only with empathy, never criticism. Not that different from the wishes of anyone in show business.

Anyway, he still has some good angles left and this is not one of them and definitely not one for that uniform.. but hey, it's Tatler, they're always.. random. Hopefully he'll benefit from public support because the man IS having a horrible year, having your partner and your one parent left diagnosed with cancer within days must feel like a bad dream..

This cover is shady lol why does it give me eulogy vibes?

A ridiculous cover, especially given context on Kate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morbach
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->