Tatler September 2020 : Emily Maitlis by Luc Braquet

I LOVE her; such a brilliant and honest journalist. I am usually not very much on board with Tatler, but this is a brilliant cover choice.

Stunning choice, and so well-deserved!! Can't wait to get my issue.
I don't particularly like the styling (the ivory is too...ivory for her hair colour, and those earrings must go), but it's appropriate. Well done, Dennen.

Love Emily. I was just saying in the Cover Thread I’d love her to appear in Vogue at some point. One of their better cover choices for sure.

I just love surprise covers like this, which features an unexpected cover subject like Emily Maitlis. A really great cover, love the styling and how bright and radiant it is - love the red Tatler masthead and the whole art direction. Kudos, Richard Dennen!

Great cover choice. Love the Dior suit on her.

I have no idea who that is, but I love the sight of a mature woman looking powerful on a magazine cover.

My subscription copy arrived today, seem heftier as a package because it comes with a Weddings supplement which has a catwalk shot of Kaia on the front.

Tatler main issue 166 pgs, Wedding supplement 78 pgs. Because of the nature of the magazine, Tatler has never followed the magazine calendar of having bigger March and September issues, so it's nothing new that it's the same size as most other months.

The front starts off well with a gatefold Dior ad, Armani, Fendi, Chanel, Prada and Miu Miu, but then it's ads for gin and the Perfume Society, and the back page is a repeat Keira Knightley for Chanel jewellery.

Short features at the front include Oxford balls, the new Marchioness of Bath following Lord Bath's death, looking back at a memoir written in the 50s by The Queen's governess, Unexplained Wealth Orders, a look at the founders of Troy London, the Chanel workshops, and Alma Jodorowski.

There's a jewellery edit done in the style of 80s illustrations, then Emily's cover story. SHEAR GLAMOUR is a 16 pgs fashion editorial, with Sam Rollinson glammed up and wearing ballgowns while doing some topiary. Then there's teens on tiktok, and a series of shots of posh people at home (stately home, castle etc). Footballers' houses being broken into is the focus of another feature.

Then it's the Beauty section, not much going on there this month. The travel section is about British pilgrimages and cottagecore. The Tatler Throwback is the April 1981 cover with Marisa Berenson.

So full of life and glamour, and I haven't even got to the Wedding supplement yet.

Sounds splendid! And it's interesting that subscribers (and probably Londoners) got their issues before it officially hit the newsstands.
At least the ad lineup sounds healthy, which means Vogue, Elle, Esquire and GQ will be fine for September.

This is probably the first time in several years of subscribing to Conde Nast magazines that I've seen the subscription copy arrive before the due date.

Back to the Wedding Guide, what's of note... the first few ads are for posh jewellery brands, the back page is De Beers, page after page of small shots of society weddings and haute couture catwalk brides, wedding presents - like a knife set at £27,400 - and a jewellery editorial, WITH THIS PIN... which is about brooches.

Then there's a historical look at the weddings of people associated with the Duke of Kent through time, and then what exactly constitutes a society wedding these days. A bit of beauty advice, and some honeymoon suggestions. The Tatler Throwback is the cover of November 1935 eith Lady Alice Montagu Douglas Scott, designer Norman Hartnell's first royal command.

Tatler September 2020

Behind the Screens

Photographer: Luc Braquet
Stylist: Sophie Pera
Hair: Oskar Pera
Makeup: Terry Barber
Cast: Emily Maitlis

Tatler Digital Edition

Tatler September 2020

Shear Glamour

Photographer: Claire Rothstein
Stylist: Sophie Pera
Hair: Oskar Pera
Makeup: Terry Barber
Cast: Sam Rollinson

Tatler Digital Edition

What is going on?
This is Syd Brak’s work with logos added.

Not familiar with Syd Brak. I thought I've misread the credits, but Stuart is the only one listed. Maybe it's considered his own work because the logos and jewellery were added? It is, after all, a jewellery story and the pieces shown are in fact new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turbotastic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->