Ten Songs Designers Should Use On the Runway This Fashion Week

farou7a

Reaction score
By Steff Yotka

Fashion show music is often neglected by reviewers, rarely mentioned to the outside world. But runway music can make or break a show’s success. Most designers choose happy, fun dance music to get the audience’s attention, while others goes for a more subdued, beautiful vibe. Either way, here are ten songs we hope turn up on the runways.

1. Mogwai – Like Herod

If a designer is going for major impact, this is the song. While it starts out understated and quiet, the crescendo is so dramatic that the first time I heard it my heart literally stopped. I only wish there were Rodarte dresses walking during it…. Kate and Laura, think about it.

2. Radiohead – These Are My Twisted Words

Runway music is about having the newest, coolest song, and what’s cooler than Radiohead’s most recent playing behind your collection? “These Are My Twisted Words” is so new, it’s not even on an album yet. Alex Wang, Radiohead’s edgiest tunes are sure to enhance your Wall Street-inspired collection. And even better, you can download the song for free by clicking the above link.

3. Pomegranates – Thunder Meadow

Happy, pop-y, catchy: These are all adjectives that could be used to describe at least 85% of the songs you’ll hear at a fashion show. That’s why “Thunder Meadow” is so perfect for a fun show like Charlotte Ronson or The Blonds. Not to mention it will be incredibly hard to get out of your head.

4. So Percussion – White

Experimental percussion might not be on top of everyone’s play list, but New York quartet So Percussion makes symphonies out of staplers, marimbas, and toy pianos that are captivating and beautiful. “White” evokes the heavenly aura that Marc Jacobs usually goes for with its Brian Eno arranged music.

5. Sonic Youth – Antenna

Speaking of Marc Jacobs, his favorite’s new album “The Eternal” is full of tracks worthy of the runway. From its release, “Antenna” stood out from the rest with its rises and falls; the perfect beat to play alongside Natasha’s stomping stride.

6. Charlotte Gainsbourg – Dandelion

Charlotte Gainsbourg is a fashion darling. Fresh off of her Balenciaga ads, we think her song “Dandelion” is just the tune to play on Balenciaga’s runway. It exudes chic like no other song, and is bound to be immediately loved by editors and models alike.

7. Alphabeat – Boyfriend

Boyfriend is just another song following the happy, popular formula, but we think Alphabeat could be the new MGMT for FW10. Alphabeat has the groove, kitsch, and joy to make it on all the major runways. And it’s fun to sing along to, meaning it’ll have all the models dancing backstage.

8. Yann Tiersen - Comptine d’un autre été: L’après-midi

Just about everyone will agree that Amelie is an incredible film. There’s no denying that Yann Tiersen’s soundtrack helped make the movie the enchanting, captivating work of art it is. “Comptine d’un autre été: L’après-midi” is a beautiful piano song that would bring out the best of Dior, John Galliano, or Lanvin. Basically any Parisian label.

9. Animal Collective – Fireworks

There’s always some Animal Collective at the cool kids’ shows in New York, but we’d love to hear more. The sound gets the audience’s attention, but it’s not distracting enough to take away form the clothes. And while Merriweather Post Pavillion is AC’s newest album, “Fireworks” will always be our favorite AC song.

10. The Sword – Freya

This one holds a special place in our hearts. Sure, there are plenty of songs that share a name with a famous model, but no song, nor any model, is quite as intense, headbanging, or truly metal as The Sword’s “Freya” or Freja Beha Erichsen herself. This song made the list because we’re all hoping that some designer catches on and switches to “Freya” right as the other Freja walks the runway. We think she’s deserving of a theme song, no?

source: fashionista.com

Ru Paul – Supermodel :P

But seriously, I love everything on this list except Alphabeat.

:buzz:
This is my type of thread because I actually do pay attention to the soundtrack and it capabilities to make a good show better or a bad show worse . I agree that Alphabeat song is not the best for a runway setup . Ah, I have so many I don't know where to start ! :lol:

I tried ...

1 . Toro y Moi - Blessa

2 . Memory House - To the Light House ( MillionYoung Remix )

3 . Small Black - Despicable Dogs (Washed Out Remix)

4 . Mondkopf - Pieces Of You rmx

5 . Teen Girl Fantasy - Love Don't Live Here

6. Memory Tapes - Stop Talking

7 . Neon Indian - Another Likely Story (Neon Indian Remix) or Deabeat Summer

8 -Nosaj Thing - Aquarium

9 - Fool's Gold - Surprise Hotel-REMIX micachu+the shapes

10 . Atlas Sound - Walkabout (feat. Noah Lennox)

Lol, just before entering to this thread I thought if Charlotte would be mentioned :lol: I so agree with that and I'm actually quite surprised she doesn't appear in the soundtracks. It would be great to hear her at Balenciaga!

1. Gramophonedzie - Why Don't You

2. Alexandra Burke - Broken Heels

3. Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Heads Will Roll (A-Trak Remix)

4. Calvin Harris - Relax

5. Wipenberg - Pong

6. Armand Van Helden & A-Trak Pres. Duck Sauce - aNYway

7. Fake Blood - Mars

8. Little Boots - New In Town

9. Ke$ha - Boots & Boys

10. Fish Go Deep Feat. Tracey K - The Cure & The Cause (Dennis Ferrer Remix)

I used to love her

Dance with me - Lords of the new church

I sit on Acid - Lords of Acid

1. Gramophonedzie - Why Don't You

2. Alexandra Burke - Broken Heels

3. Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Heads Will Roll (A-Trak Remix)

4. Calvin Harris - Relax

5. Wipenberg - Pong

6. Armand Van Helden & A-Trak Pres. Duck Sauce - aNYway

7. Fake Blood - Mars

8. Little Boots - New In Town

9. Ke$ha - Boots & Boys

10. Fish Go Deep Feat. Tracey K - The Cure & The Cause (Dennis Ferrer Remix)
:rofl:

1. The XX - intro
2. The Radio Dept. - heavens on fire
3. Atlas Sound - quick canal (feat Laetitia Sadier)
4. Bag Raiders - shooting stars (Kris Menace remix)
5. Classixx - i'll get you (Cassian remix)
6. Delphic - doubt (Cryptonites remix)
7. Washed Out - feel it all around
8. Headman - dirt (Shazam remix)
9. Joakim - spiders (Ewan Pearson remix)
10. Memoryhouse - to the light house (Millionyoung remix)
11. Monarchy - gold in the fire
12. Neon Indian - deadbeat summer (Afghan Raiders remix)
13. Penguin Prison - a funny thing (Monarchy remix)
14. Phoenix - fences (Delphic remix)
15. Scanners - salvation
16. Silver Columns - yes, and dance (Weirdo Police remix)
17. Simian Mobile Disco - audacity of huge (Allez Allez remix)
18. Tanlines - real life (Memory Tapes remix)
19. Tape Deck Mountain - on my honor (letting up despite great faults remix)
20. What Kind of Breeze Do You Blow - love of luxury (Lake Heartbeat's Lake Luxury remix)
21. Yann Tiersen - pale white (feat Shannon Wright)
22. Broken Social Scene - love will tear us apart

Source: my selection

My Selection:

1. Zero 7 - All of Us
2. Grizzly Bear - Slow Life
3. Ebony Bones - The Muzik
4. Jay-Z - On to the Next One
5. The Horrors - Who Can Say
6. Massive Attack - Splitting the Atom
7. Danger - 3h16
8. Burns - teknique
9. Air - Sing Sang Sung
10. the xx - Night Time

Last edited by a moderator:
Prana -Trentemøller
Like Murder-Twilight Sleep
Sur tes pas (Corny Dream Mix)-Autour De Lucie
What Else is There (Trentemoller Remix)-Royksopp this would be epic especially the last 3 minutes.
Oops, Oh My-Tweet
Dead Souls-Joy Division

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->