The ‘Fashion Documentaries’ Thread

You guys can go to vimeo to watch Speaking Dolls by Manon Leloup for free today and tomorrow with the code MANON (Marine posted this on instagram and it works I just watched it)

(and that being said, I liked because you got to see the girls in a new light but honestly it feels kind of superficial in a way, it could have gone further than this.. )

Really dying to see Speaking Dolls, but I just get "Sorry, that discount code appears to be invalid." :cry: I hope it turns up somewhere else!

For French speakers/students (if you are non native French speaker ... this might be hard), this week Les nouveaux chemins de la connaissance radio shows (philoshophy show on France Culture) are about Fashion.

16.10.2014 - Les Nouveaux chemins de la connaissance
L’esprit de la mode (4/4) : Barthes et le système de la mode
15.10.2014 - Les Nouveaux chemins de la connaissance
L’esprit de la mode (3/4) : Le luxe est-il ostentatoire ?
14.10.2014 - Les Nouveaux chemins de la connaissance
L’esprit de la mode (2/4) : Le néoplatonisme en silhouette
13.10.2014 - Les Nouveaux chemins de la connaissance
L’esprit de la mode (1/4) :Le temps de la mode

1/4: The Fashion's Time
2/4: Neoplatonism in shape (I have no idea how to translate this)
3/4: Is luxury ostentatious ?
4/4 : Barthes' Fashion System

Dior and I is out in Cinemas in March 2015 and out on DVD (in the UK) 27th July 2015, already pre-ordered my copy!!! :buzz:

*Amazon.co.uk

^ ohhh I can't wait! dying to see that.

is Speaking Dolls available still anywhere?! :cry: I still want to see it so badly.

Sooo beyond excited to see this:buzz:. Seriously can't wait till it comes out^_^; It looks like a hoot:lol:
[Yt]Fo8jwJ_2l0c[/MEDIA]

A 12min documentary about Margiela has been produced as a short film, with interviews from Raf & JPG.

Also, the rumours are swirling in Britain about an upcoming UK Vogue documentary to celebrate their 100 year anniversary next year.

^
Next year, British Vogue will turn 100 years old. How to celebrate? Why, with a TV show, of course! Word reaches The Londoner that the style bible may be set to open its doors to camera crews for a documentary which will provide avid readers with a glimpse into the fashion cupboards, photoshoots and sartorial debates behind the creation of the magazine.

The doormen at Hanover Square’s Vogue House are, after all, already prepared. Last year Posh People: Inside Tatler followed the staff of the middle- class staple, also a Condé Nast publication, explaining how the Sloane favourite is put together. The BBC2 programme made a star of editor Kate Reardon and her colleagues, following them as they learnt how to ride side saddle, compiled the School Guide and toured Poundland. Even the royal family got involved, apparently asking the BBC for a copy on DVD.

It is unsurprising, then, that Vogue’s formidable editor Alexandra Shulman is prepared to follow suit, especially considering the success of 2009’s The September Issue, which followed her US counterpart Anna Wintour as she edited what was then the magazine’s biggest ever edition.

The fash pack at Condé Nast are keeping their expertly made-up lips shut but if previous fashion films are anything to go by we can expect diva strops, office politics and cameos from designers and models, with Kate Moss — the mag’s most prolific cover star — sure to make an appearance. If Shulman has any fear of paling in comparison to past efforts, though, she can consider the words of Wintour: “If you can’t be better than your competition, just dress better.”
*Standard.co.uk

If someone is gonna be in Barcelona between the 15th. and 17th. of May :flower:

moritz.feeddog.org

Christian Louboutin: Top of the Heels
Farida Khelfa
France / 2014 / 52 min
VOSE (Subtitled in spanish)

An enlightening conversation with the man that elevated the female shoe to fetish status.

At one point in the documentary, David Lynch, self-professed fan of, and collaborator with the shoemaker asks the $64 million question: “What’s with the red sole? And Louboutin reveals that in 1982 he grabbed a bottle of nail polish and painted the underside of a shoe to look more like his drawings, or better said, so that reality would approach his ideals. And, as he clarifies, because red isn’t a color, it’s the “the symbol of femininity”. The famous designer psychoanalyses himself in front of the camera in this mini-film and tackles issues of identity, family and fetishism that one wouldn’t expect to find in a the world’s most fabulous and frivolous celebration of footwear.

Dior and I
Frédéric Tcheng
France / 2014 / 90 min

Fresh Dressed
Sacha Jenkins
France, United States / 2014 / 84 min

There’s a (love) story that explains the style that rules the street and the catwalk: the eternal romance between fashion and hip-hop.

They haven’t a stick of furniture at home, but step out decked out from head to toe in Ralph Lauren Polo. Or fake a sprain because they can only get their hands on a single Adidas sneaker. Rob a house to bag a perfume. What hip-hoppers are prepared to do to stay fresh and fly goes far beyond wearing a medallion. This documentary that captivated Sundance, explores the Afro-American style from slavery to Kanye West, and features an all-star lineup of talking heads. From the right honorable Mr. Kardashian, to Riccardo Tisci, Pharrell Williams, Dapper Dan and André Leon Talley.

Call it a balance in the unbalance
Regine Leather
Alemania, España, Turquía, Estados Unidos / 2011 / 74 min

¿Genio rebelde o mal gestor de la fama? El fulgurante auge y la veloz caída de Miguel Adrover sigue fascinando más de una década después.

¿Qué pasó con Miguel Adrover, el mallorquín hijo de payeses que iba a ser el próximo John Galliano en el año 2000? Los insiders del sector, que llevan más de una década fascinados con este relato, responden a esta pregunta recordando que Adrover, considerado un genio por muchos, no sobrevivió tras presentar una colección inspirada en la ropa de los talibanes dos días antes del 11 de septiembre. Pero este documental, que incluye entrevistas a Suzy Menkes y Harold Koda, del Metropolitan de Nueva York, añade nuevos matices a esta fascinante fábula moderna que cuestiona las nociones de éxito y fracaso en una industria tan implacable como volátil.

Google Translate

¿Rebel genius or bad manager of fame? The meteoric rise and rapid fall of Miguel Adrover continues to fascinate more than a decade later.

What happened to Miguel Adrover, the Majorcan son of peasants who would be the next John Galliano in 2000? The insiders in the industry, which spent more than a decade fascinated by this story, answer this question by recalling that Adrover, considered a genius by many, did not survive after presenting a collection inspired by the clothes of the Taliban two days before the September 11 . But this documentary that includes interviews with Suzy Menkes and Harold Koda, the Metropolitan in New York, adds new nuances to this fascinating modern fable that questions the notions of success and failure in such unforgiving as volatile industry.

Iris
Albert Maysles
United States / 2014 / 83 min

Much more than the senior fashion darling: If the Bouviers of Grey Gardens had a long lost first cousin – pragmatic, Jewish and jovial – she’d be called Iris Apfel.

It’s no surprise that this nonagenarian caught Albert Maysles’ attention, and became the centerpiece of his last documentary before he died. The legendary director of Gimme Shelter and Grey Gardens took it upon himself to portray her as something more than just fashion’s greatest darling. It pays off, even if only to see how she flirts with Kanye West, or to learn how to haggle a la the insatiable Apfel, who ranks a Balenciaga frock equal in value to an African beaded necklace, and to contemplate (with a lump in our throat), the moving love story of her and her husband Carl, who we see turn 100 without losing an iota of humor or curiosity.

Notebook on cities and clothes
Win Wenders
France, Germany / 1989 / 79 min

The unbearable lightness of fashion – or how a jacket converted Wim Wenders into a Yohji Yamamoto fanboy.

When the Pompidou museum approached the German director to shoot a film “in the context of fashion” he didn’t try to mask his disdain “Clothes? what kind of weirdo would be into that?” said, or thought – with a permissible degree of arrogance – the man that put Nastassja Kinski in that angora sweater and not another in Paris, Texas. But then, Wenders remembered his sublime Yamamoto jacked, which made him feel like he was wearing armor, and reminded him of his father. The director follows the Japanese designer through Tokyo and Paris and taking filmic notes on fashion, the nature of the process and even on documentary as a genre.

The next black
David Dworsky and Victor Kohler
Sweden / 2014 / 47 min

Sustainable is the new black. And digital.

These are the pioneers that work in fashion as it is right now, and will be within 50 years. In just 10 years, between 2000 and 2010, fashion consumption rocketed 47% thanks to the standardization of so-called fast fashion. In highly disparate locations around the globe – from a science fictionesque London lab to the R-D department of a mega-corporation like Adidas – there are pioneers already working to subvert this model that has proven ethically and environmentally unsustainable. Digital haute couture, fabric dyed without using a single drop of water or textiles fermented in green tea and yeast. Why not? It’s highly probable that this will be the face of fashion in 10, 20 or 50 years.

Traceable
Jennifer K. Sharpe
Canada, India, United States / 2014 / 68 min

Everything you never knew about your clothes, and would prefer not to ask.

Through how many hands has that €15.99 T-shirt passed? Answering that question is trickier than it seems, given that, as this documentary proves, companies no longer make things; they simply pay somebody else to make them. The Bangladesh tragedy in 2013 put the spotlight on fast fashion factories in the developing world, and this film starts there, following the thread of the Indian cotton producer all the way to the crop-top at the mall, celebrating the work of those that refuse to accept there’s no way back, like the founder of the Sourcemap website, or the designer Laura Seigel.

Twiggy: The face of the 60’s
Philip Priestley
United States, France / 2012 / 52 min

Mods, Rockers And the Bank Holiday Mayhem
Rebecca Whyte
Reino Unido / 2014 / 60 min

Jeremy Scott for Moschino is coming.......

Jeremy Scott’s Documentary Trailer Is Out!
By Sydney Sadick | June 24, 2015

File this under must-watch: Moschino’s creative director, Jeremy Scott, is the latest fashion designer to get the documentary treatment. There’s been lots of buzz surrounding the risk-taker over the past year, from his kitschy Spongebob and fast-food inspired collections to Katy Perry fronting his Fall 2015 campaign and brand. The designer also just showed his first killer Moschino men’s runway collection in Italy as menswear guest designer at Pitti Immagine Uomo 88. The film, “Jeremy Scott: The People’s Designer,” gives us a taste of his rise to success: from growing up in Kansas City, Missouri to becoming one of the world’s most sought after designers. “As a kid, on a farm, in a small town, looking at magazines and seeing high fashion and wanting to be a part of it so badly, I didn’t realize the runways were fake and that TV wasn’t real…I don’t want to be seen as a facsimile of someone else,” said Scott in the trailer.

The docu was executive-produced by Matt Kapp, the same talent behind Valentino: The Last Emperor, so we can expect that it’ll be a great one. In addition to appearances from Perry, the film also features interviews with the designer’s other famous pals, including Rita Ora, A$AP Rocky, and Miley Cyrus. And if you can’t wait for the documentary to come out in theaters on September 18, check out the trailer below…

Article source: Fashionweekdaily.com

Saw Dior and I today and absolutely loved it. The premières and Pieter were the stars of this documentary.

I really enjoyed Dior and I. It hasn't changed my opinion of Raf for Dior, but it was obviously very insightful. Monique was the highlight for me, such a warm and likeable woman. Reading between the lines one could gauge that the premières really enjoyed working with Galliano, especially when one of them remarked something along the lines of 'the adventure and fun is over, now it's back to work'. It's interesting to see how people react differently to change. The sole male seemed more open and keen to it, while the rest initially made quite a few hilarious passive-aggressive remarks, but eventually gave in. That's so French though, :lol:.

^^^ Finally watched Dior and I.

The atelier is full of charming and interesting individuals that seem so down-to-earth but full of experience and skills, and I wished the film was about them instead of Raf. Although, I sense the filmmaker did notice this and gave them a generous amount of screentime. They deserve it.

Raf is the weakest link except for his hilarious tantrum when he has to wait an hour for the a premiere to make a presentation because she was delayed from her return to Paris from assisting a very wealthy clientele in NYC. When told that she can't say "no" to such a clientele, Raf retorts with the classic spoiled brat line "You can't say no to me either!". I would think that he would know by now that it's the wealthy clienteles that will always come before him since they're the ones paying his bills.

Some designers are ideal to be in front of the camera, while others are not. Galliano would have brought the drama, the spectacle when he was with Dior-- perhaps way OTT to the point of annoyance and caricature, but at least he would have brought a presence and something to remember. Raf brought nothing-- and I get that he's very much an introvert but he also comes across as a spoiled brat. Although his uncanny resemblance to Noel Gallagher is kind of entertaining in that I kept thinking of Noel popping up as Raf's less than refined twin and scaring all the fashion types.

If only someone would invest in these story/doc of designers: I'd love love love to see a strong production of Miuccia, Tom, Ghesquiere at Viutton, Galliano at Margiela, Hedi at SLP... I think these designers and their work are interesting enough to crossover to a mainstream audience to prove a lucrative investment.

Won't someone do this for us pathetic fashion junkies!

For anyone who lives in the UK there is a documentary about Christian Louboutin on Channel 4 on Tuesday 11th August at 9pm.

^^^ Finally watched Dior and I.

The atelier is full of charming and interesting individuals that seem so down-to-earth but full of experience and skills, and I wished the film was about them instead of Raf. Although, I sense the filmmaker did notice this and gave them a generous amount of screentime. They deserve it.

Raf is the weakest link except for his hilarious tantrum when he has to wait an hour for the a premiere to make a presentation because she was delayed from her return to Paris from assisting a very wealthy clientele in NYC. When told that she can't say "no" to such a clientele, Raf retorts with the classic spoiled brat line "You can't say no to me either!". I would think that he would know by now that it's the wealthy clienteles that will always come before him since they're the ones paying his bills.

Some designers are ideal to be in front of the camera, while others are not. Galliano would have brought the drama, the spectacle when he was with Dior-- perhaps way OTT to the point of annoyance and caricature, but at least he would have brought a presence and something to remember. Raf brought nothing-- and I get that he's very much an introvert but he also comes across as a spoiled brat. Although his uncanny resemblance to Noel Gallagher is kind of entertaining in that I kept thinking of Noel popping up as Raf's less than refined twin and scaring all the fashion types.

If only someone would invest in these story/doc of designers: I'd love love love to see a strong production of Miuccia, Tom, Ghesquiere at Viutton, Galliano at Margiela, Hedi at SLP... I think these designers and their work are interesting enough to crossover to a mainstream audience to prove a lucrative investment.

Won't someone do this for us pathetic fashion junkies!

Haha same. I have to skim through the movie because it was absolutely boring. It has no soul and passion or whatsoever, just like the designs he keeps on churning out at Dior.

For anyone who lives in the UK there is a documentary about Christian Louboutin on Channel 4 on Tuesday 11th August at 9pm.

Thanks for the heads up! :flower: I missed it, but there's a re-broadcast on Saturday, 15 Aug.
Quite a few newspapers turned out reviews so far, and it sounds good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up watching Dior and I last night...and then again today. I guess I'm one of the only ones here to have loved it. (or obsessed with it ^_^' ) I found it really inspiring.

Loved seeing Raf's creative process looking through the archives, finding his inspiration for the textile, how he doesn't draw but makes dossiers of each thing etc also just loved seeing him on screen and how he is. And Pieter too, seems like a sweetheart. ^_^ would have liked to see more of the interactions with the designer team, they only come up a few seconds. (I get that the ateliers are very important too, and probably where most of the work longterm happens, but that's all we ever see in documentaries) I was also surprised at how calm everything was compared to other designer's ateliers, I just have in mind Loic Prigent's documentaries where you see everyone running around, things getting scrapped or redone the night before etc but maybe that's more a choice from the filmmaker then Raf's organization ^_^

I didn't find Raf to come across as spoiled, just as a member said, an introvert, a designer doing his job, humble/under pressure considering this was his first HC collection ever not to mention for such an established house and who actually seemed pretty down to earth. There's also the language barrier and he also mentions how he is not confortable being photographed or filmed. As for the 'tantrum' I wouldn't qualify it as such I felt it was more a miscommunication, since he was told he was going to see 10 dresses and none were there *yet* (they could have easily just called his studio to tell him about the delay) and not being aware that Florence was out of the country, which they should have done as soon as they knew she was going to leave. But anyway ^_^'
Oh and it makes me smile to read that it was funner to work under Galliano: my sewing teacher at school worked at Dior under him and his stories are nothing fun...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->