The 90s Comeback

Pastry said:
i never ever would want to see fashion interpret the 90's literally though...:doh: everything was cut so awkwardly, with those two darts in the back and the front...and lots of seams..uh-uh

and the one thing i would not want to see with a high rise is a mini skirt, i think it does for some bad proportion play...

hmmm i like high rise pencil skirts though..im planning on making my own

it looks very very good with a pencil skirt, a whole different story with something that is very short and awkwardly flares out..

i can totally see the 90s thing coming back... like heroine shic... nirvana... but a little more cleaned up this time around

Pastry said:
it looks very very good with a pencil skirt, a whole different story with something that is very short and awkwardly flares out..

yeah.. i wanna also get a little black dress. :smile:

Pastry said:
my goodness, whenever i refer to the "bad" 1990's, i always mention raver style, i was just a kid but i have a faint memory of seeing those clear plastic handbags that looked inflatable? wide jeans, and all complete with colourful dreaded hair..

Candy ravers, the ones running around sucking on lollipops and pacifiers and hugging people.

i missed the overalls like crazy. :blush: for a while they were only (barely) acceptable during pregnancies. save Berkeley and some parts of SF where they seem to hold on. rarely in Paris.

i practically lived in them for much of the nineties, esp at home. well, that's it<stomping> i'm bringing them out again and buying a few more.:ninja: advanced apologies to the world.:lol:

I can see...

I can see (and kind of hope) it coming back, but as been pointed out, in terms of aesthetics, i.e. minimalism, rather than every fad that came and went.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the 90's NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Even worse than the 80's!!!

what about monochrome/monochromatic looks? i am not old enough to recall the 90s minimalism very well...can anybody point me to any pictures?

In a more subcultural aspect, this trend as an huge comeback, mostly in the hiphop culture. I can tell that New York is the motherland of this early 90's trend. High top fade, gold rope, acid wash denim, ghettoblasters..

l_ca897156f1d1f1e7dda2a4259d75fc35.jpg

l_75a5d7b8222800973e8f4bbdcc8b3e40.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f4RWiK_cjjs

myspace.com

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I've been noticing this 90's hip-hop trend too in NY... I just hope high waisted acid wash jeans don't come back. :shock::yuk::ninja:

I have a friend who's into the whole 90's hiphop trend and it's getting pretty big in that scene at least, she's a hip hop dancer. Thick gold ropes, plaid shirts, jeans vests, old school glasses and so on, even the hair, she's getting a Miarah Carrey perm she says.

I see it in ordinary fashion too, just not as much and not as blatant.

90's hiphop is showing up more frequently in those copying the style of M.I.A. as she blatantly takes influence from the 90's with geometrics, metallics, and abundance of color. I personally adore her style.

I don't know about you all, but I was sporting The Lion King shirts in the 1990s, not the clothing pictured above. :lol:

So cute to see guys dress like this ^_^
I think it's not as bright and colourful for clothing now
I do see so much print and pattern in sweatshirts (hoodies?)
Some even have metallic paint on it
:heart:

This is what I wore/accessorized with at various points during the '90s:

Jnco jeans
Doc Martens (I also had a generic pair of combat boots that I spray-painted in blue glitter)
Flannel shirts
Airwalk sneakers (which I eventually covered in duct tape just for the look of it)
Ball chain necklaces
My dad's old clothes from the late '70s and early '80s (men's dress pants, button-down shirts and a big brown leather peacoat-cut jacket with huge lapels)
Vintage '70s polo shirts
Vintage '70s polyester buttondowns in crazy prints (Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins used to wear these frequently, and I adored him)
Skate brand t-shirts and hoodies (Alien Workshop, Birdhouse, Hookups)
A vintage Charlie Brown metal lunchbox covered in stickers, white-out and nail polish
A Jansport backpack with band names drawn all over it in white-out and metallic marker
Band t-shirts (Smashing Pumpkins, again!)
Ringer t-shirts
T-shirts with brand logos (Wonder Bread, Reese's, etc.)
Nail polish in black, blue, green, purple or Hard Candy pastels, like robin's egg blue, or I'd just paint my nails with white-out
Black hair dye or pieces dyed with Kool-Aid or Jello (I was never brave enough to do my whole head in Manic Panic, but I knew a lot of people who did)
Rubber bracelets
Cargo pants
Suspenders worn hanging down
Homemade band shirts (plain Hanes t-shirt with band name written on it with fabric marker)
Homemade patches (drawing on a scrap of fabric that was then pinned to a hoodie or jacket)
Saddle shoes with a huge chunky sole and Doc Martens brogues

I realize this all sounds like guy's clothing, but as I remember it, many of my friends were into the grunge thing and no one dressed very feminine. This stuff is all mid-'90s, mostly.

The late '90s was a bit different -- I started dressing more like a girl, wearing lots of black sheer fabrics, long parachute skirts in techno fabrics, black chunky strappy sandals (Steve Madden was huge), slim pullover hoodie t-shirts, leopard print Sanuk flip-flops, plain cotton shirts with bell sleeves, cargo cropped pants, hoodie dresses, long wrap skirts in hippie prints, asymmetrical tops. Pants under skirts were also big then (a lot of stores sold a black skirt connected to black cropped pants), but I never wore them. That was when jeans moved from baggy to flared, and I also wore colorful socks with Birkenstocks in the winter! A lot of girls liked chunky white sneakers with stacked soles, but I always hated those.

I realize this all sounds like guy's clothing, but as I remember it, many of my friends were into the grunge thing and no one dressed very feminine. This stuff is all mid-'90s, mostly.

The late '90s was a bit different

I agree. but for me the spirit of the 90's was at the beginning, I guess it was the only era when there was less divide in men's and girls clothes. Looking back it was sort of nice, there was no really evident sexual exposure. I remember wearing the exact same trousers as my boyfriend, not in a cute sort of "i want to be fashionable" way like now, those where really the trousers that I went and bought everytime.

I wore Converse with everything, and I was a big fan of surfwear.

Do I want the 90's to came back? Of course not. The start of the decade particularly was a special time that is very difficult to recreate, those clothes more than in any other era need a context, without this context they are nothing. We will always see 90's inspirations, but total looks like the one we recreated with the 60's and 70's are almost impossible to bring back.

Well the end of the 90s where just awful, like the start of the 2000s also were in my opinion, lets just forget them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->