pants as tights? the backlash - Pre-fall 2010

Dkammern

DÔMMkammern
Reaction score
Ok, so tights are not pants we know that. By now even Lindsay Lohan may know that...
Tights are to be worn under actual skirts and dresses and all that. Not as trousers, no "stand alone"...
But, as the pre-fall collections start showing up online, and the general mood has been moving away from the 80s to a more 70s 90s feel, could this be some sort of reverse trend? a backlash?
can pants be tights?

23m.jpg

07m.jpg

10m.jpg

the black monochrome doesn't help of course, but those look like proper hemlines to me. as in straight-leg-trousers hemlines.

21m.jpg

53m.jpg

(all images are style.com)

at chanel. the camelia leggings, as the second pictures evidences, seem not to be leggings after all.

have your say: yay? nay?
ready for it? too early for a come back? late 90s early 00s anyone?

MOST IMPORTANTLY: any recent/more evidence?
(I couldn't find a thread on the topic)

I've seen a lot of ads for 'legging jeans' and whatnot lately actually -- Scoop NYC has this huge window display with some ridiculous something or other about jeans as leggings. I think it's actually like in the MEN'S store. Can't recall though.

Though I wouldn't really say uber-tight jeans are a new trend, really? My Cheap Mondays are tighter than most of the stockings I own and I definitely got those in like, 2006, and, I mean, Dior Homme...... I guess in the context of recent developing trends of high waisted, loose, reverse-fit, harem, and bellbottom-y boyfriend cut pants though there's a leggings-ish counter trend to stick to the second-skin stretch jeans...

Twenty8Twelve also has that pair of leggings-y jeans that remind me of the elastic-waist horrors my mother used to make me wear to elementary school in the late 80s/early 90s:
look_1251652299_16.jpg

twenty8twelve.com

Acne also has a "skin" jean that is a similar no-zipper denim legging:
707320098518145246994219_L.jpg

acnestudios.com

the jeans example is interesting.
my point however, was more about the fact that these alexander wang and chanel trousers are being used under skirts and short dresses, something we had not seen I think for quite a while.

would you wear a dress over those "legging-y jeans"? could those get a bit wider as they reach the ankles?

a bit like this random thing Marc Jacobs did a couple of years agol, not as the layering gimmick it is here, but like an actual proposition for the streets.
I know Karl has done it at chanel before i just can't find where (both for a summer and a winter collection with tweet mini skirts and all)

00550m.jpg

medium_1359629789_6ef38a84a2_o.jpg

00570m.jpg

all: style.com

I've seen a lot of ads for 'legging jeans' and whatnot lately actually -- Scoop NYC has this huge window display with some ridiculous something or other about jeans as leggings.

Acne also has a "skin" jean that is a similar no-zipper denim legging:
Aaaah yes, more commonly known as the "jegging" :yuk:

yes. have love for treggings for a while
ProductDisplay

ProductDisplay

dorothy perkins has great collection of them

Last edited by a moderator:
actually, this is quite an interesting point and references a few things i think, though i may be thinking of a slightly gothier/edgier interpretation of the concept now too... but i think it all links also to:

-- 90s references/backalsh (who remembers dresses over jeans??)
-- all this androgyny/unisex stuff with skirts for men -- DEFINITELY have been seeing a lot of the like longer dress-like shirts and even skirt-type garments for men, worn over pants with a heavy boot... all black/grey layers, etc... i know comme de garcons, rick owens, etc have all done it but can't seem to find pix or remember what season etc...
-- drop-crotch pants etc, which sorta look like wearing a dress over pants??

Anne Dx:
00270m.jpg

style.com

Y-3:
00290m.jpg

also we have this thread which is not QUITE the same thing but seems maybe the idea is occurring to other folks too... :wink: : http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f49/skirts-dresses-over-pants-76990.html

This doesn't really seem new to me. I mean, I live in the midwest, which isn't really known as a fashion capital, but I see people with slim cut trousers and long tops all the time. Maybe it's because most people here aren't built with model bodies, but skinny pants have been the norm under things, rather than tights. I don't really find skinny pants/tights/leggings all that different really - I'd lump them together as the same aesthetic trend.

^^ of course it isnt new :flower:
as lafindesiecle said, or like i mentioned in the first post this is an absolute "come-back" thing
here to stay for longer? maybe too early?
i am sure it can be interpreted in good ways. all sorts of fashions do. it's the 20year cycle, and as we approach the 10s, more and more 70s, 90s things will pop up! and the further we'll get from the 60s and 80s (that have been so present in the first and second half of 00s respectively)

^^ yep! and to be honest like these sorts of posts better than really 'distinct' trends -- maybe i just miss overanalyzing and other dumb college sociology things.... but I really like finding these sort of vague conceptual trends and changes instead of, like, 'wedge heels are really in this year' or 'a lot of celebs are wearing turquoise' or whatever. so i think this as part of the greater trends of playing with layers, the shape of pants around the hips etc (reverse fit, drop-crotch, harem, etc), and gender ambiguity is really interesting and i agree, there's definitely something there that maybe will evolve into something more concrete but for now i think it's vague and interesting to think about :smile:

I guess what I meant is that it never really left here - it can't really "come back" if it never left. The whole skirts or long tops over pants came in late 90s, early 00s and never went away at all. Again, I live in the middle of fashion nowhere, but from my perspective, this is something that has been ever-present in street style, even if it hasn't on the runways.

this whole concept reminds me of the Japanese tourists I see wearing huge dresses over jeans or heavy legging.SO unflattering even on 5' tiny frames.

the lady wearing all black outfit w the studded belt and jacket is cool...love the look.

interesting post..
I think this backlash is quite naturally... And I think this is already in the making.. I have noticed some girls around town doing this. And it's not like I'm living in the most fashion forward and experimenting city.
Also I have done this myself from time to time when I needed something refreshing to substitute leggings. I've done it with jeans and other kinds of fitted pants.

I would like to see this become more mainstream - Maybe people will give the leggings a break then :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->