The Chanel Cosmetics Campaign Thread F/W 2018.19

God knows how much I waited for this product launch, and now looking the these images Im kinda disappointed, I was expecting something more iconic. Im still buying it, of course, but this campaign is boring.

I find the idea that there is "different" makeup for men and women hilarious, but if this is the only way an influential brand like Chanel can manage to inspire more men to not be ashamed about using a bit of makeup for better appearance, so be it. The stigma and stereotypes around men using makeup need to end anyway.

Well, read in UK Marie Claire a week or so ago that men shouldn't be using products aimed at women because our skin textures are different, and we also have larger pores. There's a special section aimed at men's grooming in the December issue which I actually found very informative.

Well, read in UK Marie Claire a week or so ago that men shouldn't be using products aimed at women because our skin textures are different, and we also have larger pores. There's a special section aimed at men's grooming in the December issue which I actually found very informative.

While it's true that most men have oilier, thicker skin with larger pores than most women, I still don't think the "men" label is anything more than a marketing trick. The products aren't developed exclusively for men: they're developed for a skin type that is most commonly found in men. But then I know many women who have skin that resembles a "men's" skin, and also many guys who have super soft, supple skin with small pores and no textural issues. Aging and collagen production is where the real difference happens, I think. So the lines are blurred, and most skincare products out there are unisex anyway - we all use the same moisturizers, the same SPFs, the same concealers.

Bottom line, let's say the foundation is purposefully developed to work for a regular guy's skin texture. What about a lip balm, an eyebrow pencil and a brush - how do they differ from women's ones except that they're from a "men's" line? :lol:

While it's true that most men have oilier, thicker skin with larger pores than most women, I still don't think the "men" label is anything more than a marketing trick. The products aren't developed exclusively for men: they're developed for a skin type that is most commonly found in men. But then I know many women who have skin that resembles a "men's" skin, and also many guys who have super soft, supple skin with small pores and no textural issues. Aging and collagen production is where the real difference happens, I think. So the lines are blurred, and most skincare products out there are unisex anyway - we all use the same moisturizers, the same SPFs, the same concealers.

Bottom line, let's say the foundation is purposefully developed to work for a regular guy's skin texture. What about a lip balm, an eyebrow pencil and a brush - how do they differ from women's ones except that they're from a "men's" line? :lol:

True! Lol. Maybe the reason why the marketing approach is still very lineated in terms of gender is because most men, not the woke ones on TFS, won't respond well to gender neutral beauty, oops!, grooming products. Even magazines don't credit their stylists with 'hair and makeup', it's always 'grooming.' But yeah, so one must bear those guys in mind when you put out a beauty product. Rome wasn't build in one day. To get them to this stage where concealer and the likes are even contemplated is a major step forward. In a few more years I reckon theyll be fine with purchasing gender neutral products,

True! Lol. Maybe the reason why the marketing approach is still very lineated in terms of gender is because most men, not the woke ones on TFS, won't respond well to gender neutral beauty, oops!, grooming products. Even magazines don't credit their stylists with 'hair and makeup', it's always 'grooming.' But yeah, so one must bear those guys in mind when you put out a beauty product. Rome wasn't build in one day. To get them to this stage where concealer and the likes are even contemplated is a major step forward. In a few more years I reckon theyll be fine with purchasing gender neutral products,

Definitely agree, hence my first post - if this is the type of branding it takes for men to shed the guilt about using make up (I think there was a research last year that said a large percentage of men anonymously admitted that they regularly use skincare and makeup products from their girlfriends or spouses without telling anyone, but I can't remember where I read it), then so be it! It has to start somewhere. :smile:

Although I do see shades of a less magnetic Carol Bouquet in her features, I find Vittoria's presence dull as dishwater. Kirsty Hume's mid 90s Chanel lipstick adverts (even with her eyes obscured) stirred desire. Vittoria face puts me to sleep.

Interesting timing on Chanel's part, considering high fashion's recent championing of gender fluidity in the form of gender neutral clothing ensembles on the runways and the utilization of women's cosmetics on men in editorials. Of course male model's have been wearing make up for years in both settings but it's taken this long for a major cosmetics brand to cater (again) to this cosmetically inclined male with a dedicated line. I would love to see the market analysis that went into the product development and branding for this Chanel launch.

I remember reading about JPG's men's cosmetics line many years ago and lusting after the wonderfully decadent, sleek, tactile packaging. Guerlain too had a men's line of bronzer if memory serves with the Men's version formulated sans glitter, shimmer.

xJNkguFh.jpg

gaycalgary.com

This Boy de Chanel sounds ultra gimmicky. However, if the products spur innovation I'm open to see what Chanel comes up with. Although if anything I'd be more excited by further developments in the gender neutral fashion front, with the actual garments and accessories. Esp want to see a move toward unisex footwear with the use of a universal shoe size so that men's styles are available for women and visa versa. For example, I've had to end my search on so many sneakers made for Men simply because the Men's line doesn't go small enough. The idea of a male vs female color scheme is so antiquated in this day and age.

Last edited:
Vittoria Ceretti
scanned by me (Karavan Istoriy Russia October 2019)

KARAVAN ISTORIY RU OCT 2019 CHANEL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->